• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Should opiate potentiation techniques be used for HYDROCODONE/VICODIN?

HenryHill

Greenlighter
I know that part of the hydro is metabolized into hydromorphone and most of these techniques prevent/slow down metabolism... So should you be drinking grapefruit juice, tonic water, tums, and tagment for hydrocodone?

If you believe that CYP inhibition and all that jazz will actually work, then yes, use a potentiator with hydrocodone.
The amount of hydrocodone that is metabolized to hydromorphone is tiny; hydrocodone itself is responsible for the large majority of the drugs activity.

My opinion, from best to worst: promethazine, hydroxyzine, diphenhydramine, doxylamine. The first two are prescription only, the second two are OTC. For something like diphenhydramine I'd recommend 50mg to start then boosters of 25-50mg as necessary. (I can take huge doses of antihistamines, but not everyone can tolerate that.)

As for whether or not it works..... you aren't kidding about contradiction here. Its never worked for me, not in any more than a hydrocodone + diphenhydramine sense (the synergy of the two rather than any actual potentiation), but others say it does, and I suppose I can't dispute what they say. If you think it'll work for you, or want to give it a shot, try 400-600mg tagamet or the correct kind of white grapefruit juice ~45 minutes before dosing the hydrocodone. Or just try the antihistamine route, because if they don't 'potentiate' they at least add sedation (which some people feel adds to the opioid feeling, and some feel it ruins it).

IME nothing really potentiates Hydro... Diphenhydramine adds to the sedation a bit, however, not sure I'd call that a potentiation. Pure white grapefruit juice works well for me w/ benzos but I've never found it to be great for ANY opiate...

I'd say, if you have to eat enough to feel nice, make sure you do a CWE and take a benadryl for added sedation if that's what you'd prefer.

IMO hydro's stink, but then again I have a son-of-a-bithcin terrible high tolerance. I hate it, as hydro's are perfectly fine for someone w/ a moderate to low tolerance.

See I'm too lazy to CWE. I feel as if it takes WAY to long and I lose alot of product... On the other hand I have 5/500's, but also have some SOMA and xanax/valium. Never really found either of those drugs to make the opiate high better..

Just take tagamet or gfj instead of a thousand different substances if you insist on increasing the duration of your high.

Always remember you can take more of a drug, but you can never take less of it. I've found that out the hard way.

See I'm too lazy to CWE. I feel as if it takes WAY to long and I lose alot of product... On the other hand I have 5/500's, but also have some SOMA and xanax/valium. Never really found either of those drugs to make the opiate high better..

I've actually always found benzo's to take away from the opiate high. Most BL'ers I read from say they potentiate each other, but I ALWAYS find the benzo, especially xanax, to numb the opiate feeling quite a bit. I've been disappointed enough times that now I always save the benzo for when I'm coming down off the opiate, which I believe is safer anyway.

Anybody else?

^ It reminds me of that heroin + LSD thread the other day. Yes, it can take away from the 'pure' heroin experience, but also can give an entirely different one. I like(d) the heroin + benzo combination, but I was generally trying to get as destroyed as possible, so thats my reasoning.

I've actually always found benzo's to take away from the opiate high. Most BL'ers I read from say they potentiate each other, but I ALWAYS find the benzo, especially xanax, to numb the opiate feeling quite a bit. I've been disappointed enough times that now I always save the benzo for when I'm coming down off the opiate, which I believe is safer anyway.

Anybody else?

I feel exactly the same. After opiate comedown or stimulant comdown, taking benzo's just makes me 'sober' . I will feel less high, substantially...

Grapefruit juice doesn't do much of anything with my hydrocodones. Due to my low tolerance of benzo's they tend to "take over' my hydrocodone high and make me feel more like a drooling idiot instead of in a euphoric heaven. Diphenhydramine is nice to take late at night with my dose, but it can make me too sleepy to enjoy the high if I take any more than 25mg's.

Lol, what a paradoxically ironic way to say that benzos take away from the opiate experience.

no shit! Honestly, there's no better way to describe what benzo's do to my precious opiates though.

@ JC... I used to be the same way... I've blacked out many times from the opiate/benzo combo... At the time I wanted to, but in retrospect what a waste of good opiates.

Does anyone find SOMA to potentiate hydro? I've seen some people on here saying it does but I think they are just referring to a synergic effect.... i.e being high on opiates and being more relaxed since soma is a muscle relaxant...

Hell yeah soma is the only thing that potentiates opiates to me, although most people call soma+opiates a combo. I enjoy opiates mixed with soma and either THC or jwh-073 alot more then by themselves.