⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Scariest Films Ever?

Scariest movies of all time

What are your top 5 scariest movies of all time?

1. The Exorcist (1973)
2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
3. Silence of the Lambs (1991)
4. The Shining (1980)
5. Halloween (1978 )

I almost never watch horror, so my list is understandably milquetoast; sue me. These are in no particular order.

1.) The Thing. (1982)
2.) The Ring.
3.) Tourist Trap--a movie I had the misfortune of stumbling across one Saturday morning.
4.) Invasion of the Body Snatchers. (1979)
5.) Se7en.

I'm not a fan for scary movies (leave me rattled for weeks), but Dark Water is purportedly one of the scariest creations known to mankind.

Scariest film I've seen is probably The Ring (don't have a top 5, sorry!)

I don't think scary movies exist past the age of 10.
I sort of feel this way, too, but there's still vestiges of that fear leftover -- sort of like dark chills. Because of this age problem, I don't think I can come up with honest answers. It's more like parts of some movies have this quality sometimes, and they're not necessarily even of the horror genre all together (think the "Winkies" dream sequence in Mulholland Drive, or the "Mystery Man" scene in Lost Highway). This makes the list of the best horror films different from the list of the "scariest" films to me.

Anyways, my best shot off the top of my head:

Inside
Martyrs
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Session 9
Pulse
Inland Empire

Last edited:
I was deeply impacted by David Lynch's Elephant Man, a film I saw when I was only 12. This film, which at first glance can be viewed as a humanist take from the director, is for me a very disturbed plunge deep in the heart of perversion. Lynch clearly showed his fascination for perversion in his subsequent films.

French policy regarding the protection of youngsters concerning films interdiction is very lenient, for example a lot of violent films which are rated R in the US aren't rated at all here. That means a teen aged 12 can go see John Rambo alone without any problem...

Anyway, I had a lot of nightmares after seeing this film.

Nightmare on elm street 1 and 2
Halloween 2
The exorcism of emily rose
alien
the thing

I was deeply impacted by David Lynch's Elephant Man, a film I saw when I was only 12. This film, which at first glance can be viewed as a humanist take from the director, is for me a very disturbed plunge deep in the heart of perversion. Lynch clearly showed his fascination for perversion in his subsequent films.

I had nearly the *exact* same experience. I was >5 yrs. old at the time though. I was just very very afraid of and for him. :( I don't think my dad knew about Lynch and/or what the movie would be like... he just wanted to teach me to treat people who are differently equally to the majority. Yeah, didn't work out so well for me at the time.

Most David Lynch films have scary moments, wouldn't class them as scary films though, except maybe Inland Empire just because is such a headfuck that by the end you're pretty freaked out. Especially when that twisted face pops up out of nowhere... *shudder*

I have trouble finding films that genuinely scare me. The Ring (US & Japanese), original Texas Chainsaw, The Shining, The Exorcist, none of them really fucked with me. The only one that has succeeded in almost making me poop myself is Rec.

Bumped for the coming fall. Just watched The Prince of Darkness, and while not perfect, there is some nightmare-inducing shit in there. The Thing s my winner, but Eraserhead can give you the chills on a sunny afternoon.

recently saw pulse (the jap version) at 4 a.m. on tv while massively stoned. it was much better/scarier than i thought it would be.

Silence of the Lambs was definitely one of them.
I know this might sound weird, but Sunshine was pretty scarry, well for me anyway.

Exorcist, Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity were the only movies that I ever watched that made me feel some sort of fear

Arachnophobia...never been able to watch it all the way through, not good with spiders!