• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

scared of acid

Dexter, I hope you didn't think I was putting you down for your experience. Had I had the one you had, I'd probably have stopped tripping too. Yes, I do find freakouts that are so bad people end up in psych wards to be negative to one's life. All I was saying was that it hasn't happened to me.

And I was defending you in that thread of yours.

But yeah, I guess reading back at my post it looked a bit negative towards you. Sorry.

I just took Acid for the first time this weekend, and i've taken mass amounts (1/8ths to half ounces in one night) of powerful shrooms for years. My first acid trip sent me on a bad trip, looking back it didnt disturb me because i know it was just the acid, so as long as i keep that mindset im fine. But as far as shrooms being more intense than acid i find that seriously hard to believe, i've had 2 bad trips on shrooms that didnt even compare to my bad trip on acid. The reason I think acid is MUCH MUCH more intense than shrooms is because of the length, on shrooms my bad trips were relatively fast before i snapped out, on acid i was on a bad trip for about 4 or 5 hours, the acid lasted between 13-14 hours and was extremely potent. (only took 1 stamp) I guess what scared me the most on acid was intense delusions that i had been tricked into taking it (lack of trust for my friend/INTENSE paranoia, although that could just be me) and that i was going to be on acid forever. Next time i take it im sure i wont have this problem now that i know you really do come down, but i guess it was just a first time freak out, maybe related to the extreme social stigma attached to acid in the USA. My friends still have more, ill let you know if my opinion changes ;)

Last edited:
first time i took acid it was 4 hits of some fine blotter... after hearing that, most people would probably think i had a bad time... sure I lost my mind, but nothing uncontrollable. I can go into details about my trip, but the point is that if you have the right set(ting) and no worries, you'll have a blast. Same thing works for shrooms.

the key to doing acid in my opinion is taking the right amount. when you're on acid you can be completely clear-headed, when youre on shrooms you have way less control of your trip. on acid you need to focus on something in order to trip, so basically, if youre walking around focusing on multiple things you won't lose your sense of reality. if you sit down and focus on a flower however, thats a different story. i pretty sure there are different opinions though.

allcityink said:
the key to doing acid in my opinion is taking the right amount. when you're on acid you can be completely clear-headed, when youre on shrooms you have way less control of your trip. on acid you need to focus on something in order to trip, so basically, if youre walking around focusing on multiple things you won't lose your sense of reality. if you sit down and focus on a flower however, thats a different story. i pretty sure there are different opinions though.

i agree. on shrooms its a lot easier to let your mind wander and that is where bad trips come into play. on acid, however, to actually lose touch with reality you have to focus on one thing, and thats when the bad trip comes on. i feel that it is much easier to have a bad trip on mushrooms just for that fact, but once you start trippin bad on cid theres almost no turning it around, and that is what i think scares people.

^^ I agree with the principle of what you're saying, but do you really think that letting your mind wander and losing touch with reality give you a bad trip? To me, that's what tripping is all about, and it's the most direct way to having a significant experience.

noo you got me all wrong. i try to let my mind wander and lose touch when im taking a psychadelic but that is what i beleive causes people to have bad trips. i beleive that people who have bad trips are not ready to lose their grip on reality and let their mind wander while on a mind expanding substance. i was just stating why i beleive that it is easier to have a bad trip on mushrooms then on acid. personally i have never had a bad trip and i dont think i ever can have one, but people who go into it not thinking like that and who are not ready for the complete experience are the ones who have the bad trips. sorry if i was unclear in my previous post.

Oh, okay. Yeah, I think you're probably right. For example, a lot of the negative reports on Erowid are of some kid who tried psychedelics for the first time, expecting a fun, crazy experience with elves and goblines or something, and then finds that it's actually a deeply mental adventure with revelations they weren't prepared for or expecting.

And I definitely agree with you that it's easier to have a bad trip on mushrooms. However, I've found that with those, even difficult experiences end up good by the end more often than with acid.

Xorkoth said:
^^ I agree with the principle of what you're saying, but do you really think that letting your mind wander and losing touch with reality give you a bad trip? To me, that's what tripping is all about, and it's the most direct way to having a significant experience.

from an artistic viewpoint, i find it valuable that you can enter a trip and then exit with control. losing reality can become nonproductive, but that is only my opinion; people trip for different reasons. but don't get me wrong, letting your mind wander is definitely a good thing :D

Let's compare.

Average mushroom dose:
Free-floating mind. You can generally fade in and out of whatever you want to, and it's a hell of a ride but it seems more choice oriented. However, it will always be intense regardless of what choices you make.

High mushroom dose:
Free-floating, but the more the trip changes, the more confusing it can become. Focusing on one thing and just immersing yourself in it usually ends up in speechlessness, drooling, intense fixation and enjoyment. Getting frantic, i.e. jumping from conclusion to conclusion, brings on a bad trip.

Average LSD dose:
Mind tends to focus on many things but comes back to the central idea of some sort of enlightenment or teaching. It seems as if you feel resolved about everything, and you notice each thing individually.

High LSD dose: Mind wanders still yet and it becomes hard on your cerebral transmission, shifting between all this information, so you try to stay at rest. If this resting period is given too much attention, you can focus and completely lose relaity in that one idea or thought.

Personal High-Dose Experience:
I was in the desert, late 70's. It was nighttime, I am just about fully peaking on a third of a vial of LSD, and there is a 20-foot-tall fire a hundred yards away. This fire grows into the sky and scorches the entire earth.

Before I know what to do, there is a light surrounding me like day. I become hot, almost burning up. I take off my shirt. I can tell I am breathing heavily. The sand around me turns to water and slowly rises to my shoulders. I feel bound into the sand, as it rolls like the ocean in front of me.

The fire is as burning hot as the sun, and I can feel its extreme radiance on a cold desert night that is anything but night at this point. My buddy is walking over to me. I gaze at him, wide-eyed and panting, and he begins to melt as he walks along, his shirt, hair, and arms dripping off. I attempt to run over to help him out of the heat but I realize that I too am melting into the sand. The heat is so unbearable at this point that I feel I am going to die. Wait, I am dead. This is death.

A loud buzzing noise eats at the inside of my head. I look up to see a rock, and then it has wheels, it is a vehicle. I feel a wave of sand finally wash over me and pull me under.

Truth be known, I had just stumbled face-first into the sand. I was told that I screamed so hard it sounded like I was choking on the sand. I sat back up and I remember very clearly seeing the most beautiful purple fire ever, and I felt cool and refreshed. But my mind was so incredibly blown that I just sat next to the buggy and stared at the fire.

After I got calmed down me and a buddy took a walk into the darkness, and I lost him on the way... Everything went dark and I remember walking for what seemed like several years towards two headlights of the buggy.

---

Why do people fear LSD? Because it deserves that status. LSD is a powerful psychedelic. There is nothing in this world similar enough to LSD to be considered so. Nothing can destroy your mind into the state that LSD can. Sure, there are things that are more intense, but LSD rips apart reality in front of your eyes, and you can't do anything to stop it.

I have never tripped on anything that made me believe, while only for a short time, that the world was on fire and I was swimming in a lake of molten sand, melting as I went.

--mic

allcityink said:
from an artistic viewpoint, i find it valuable that you can enter a trip and then exit with control. losing reality can become nonproductive, but that is only my opinion; people trip for different reasons. but don't get me wrong, letting your mind wander is definitely a good thing :D

why would you want to keep control when you're tripping? i thought the reason people tripped was to expand their mind but if you keep control you're not expanding anything you're just keeping the trip in check. you dont feel the full reality (or lack thereof) of the trip if you try to control it.

man... in my books, LSD and mushrooms are hardly comparable at all. I've done mushrooms near a hundred times... a nice dreamy psychedelic that can get wierd... but so can any psychedelic...
I've only done LSD once... I was kind of freaked out about it for a long time but eventually it called me and some found it's way to me... it was a double dipped blotter with a dop of fairly strong liquid LSD on top.... probably a bit over the top for a first timer... but I knew it was pure... it came right from the chemist himself... so I ate it.
all I've got to say... that if 7grams of good cubies is a 8 on the charts, this little square of thick paper was 150, ok. I didn't find the two substances to be even comparable... mushies make me tired and hallucinate... like lots of distortions and coulour and things... very little control, my body feels pretty gross, etc... LSD was heaps of energy, music was amazing, blending of the senses, emotions were in bridaled and allowed to go off into infinity in watever direction they were trvelling... for a period of time every cell in my body was orgasming in the paisley nature of the human being... now.. I've eaten lots of mushrooms, and I've never experianced that.... for a while on ACId I was every single person that has ever walked this earth, simoultaniously.... I though I broke my brain and that I was never coming back.... was I dead? alive? eventually I came down to a point wher eit was more manageble... and a bit more like mushrooms.... but yeah... it was intense.. I've only done it that once, so nothing to compare it to... perhaps I took too much? hahah? I felt pretty weird for a week or two afterward too... which mushies don't do to me... but all you people who are afraid of acid will be happy to know that after a little while everyhting settled out and I returned to normal... but I would definetly say that mushrooms were a little easier on the old brain box.... and mushrooms have serious spiritual and nature reconnecting properties... of which I found none with my LSD experience... felt very chemical... engineered... but I did it once. also, mushrooms make me see things, acid made me BE things... like... on mushrooms I see all kinds of beautiful things, and feel my reaction to them, etc... on LSD I experienced things directly.... like I WAS american pop culture in it's entirety, I was the seagulls flying through the walls.... but then again.. this may have been dose dependent... hahaha
summary - LSD is very intense.. and potentially more difficult to judge how much you are ingesting.... had I no prior phychedellic experiance, I may have been horrified by my experiance... mushrooms are easier to gauge dose, etc... they are definetly different drugs though... and acid does warrent some concern... IMHO it is not as "safe" as mushrooms and *could* be more dangerous in high doses..... but I've only done i once, so I can't really make a fair comparison....
end rant.

I've had a high dose bad trip on mushrooms - and I don't remember any of it. I feel it's a safer psychedelic in this respect.

Acid, on the other hand, if I ate too much and had a bad trip (which hasn't happened yet), I would probably still be haunted by it.

^^
I know people who blacked out on high dose acid too and don't remember any of it... It's probably the vasoconstrictive effects of ergolines/tryptamines at high doses rather than anything else.

I think that there's a good chance of psychological trauma if you take enough of any psychedelic, so long as it's not a partial agonist (none of them are I don't think). LSD in particular is a weird one because eventually it starts to affect areas of your brain other than serotonin receptors, and things start to really shortcircuit then.

This is an interesting argument. I thought before I entered the thread that it was about reasonable people who considered acid frightening from personal experience. I have encountered those "normalites" (i.e. weirdoes) who think acid is the nail on the cross or something. Well, fuck 'em. What do you expect? Monkeys get frightened cuz there are bigger things that could eat them.

^
True words, It all does come down to the person.

Furthermore "shrooms" is a bit of a vague term. Those so called "psychedelic truffles" are so subtle and easy a trip that it's hard to imagine them being greater in intensity than a good hit or two of LSD unless you eat a bucket of them.

Copelandia Cyancesis -sp?- the hawaiian ones, on the other hand are full on. I ate 12 grammes of them in Amsterdam earlier this year and fuck me, I was cast adrift in white light somewhere above the earth (it felt like) in my hostel. Big trip out. Far stronger and quite different to any of my (still fairly limited in number) Acid trips.

LSD all the way. I've had more "intense" trips on mushies, however; LSD has shown me everything i've ever wanted to know ;)

willow11 said:
I also hate MDMA and will never touch it again. . .

nowdays even pure mdma tabs make me feel dirty inside, especially afterwards. and my experience with mdma is about 10 uses