Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Save Nguyen Tuong Van

mibrane

Bluelighter
Nguyen Tuong Van is an Australian about to become a casualty of the drug war; he is scheduled for hanging in Singapore of October 29th. If this murder takes place, Nguyen will becomethe first Australian to be executed in Asia since 1993.
Nguyen is only 25 years old.
Please act now to join the global campaign of emails, actions & protest to help save nguyen.
Visit http://www.napnt.org/pages/nguyen_tuong_van.html to join the fight

While I agree with the sentiment, an online petition is going to do sweet fuck all. I can't see them changing their mind simply because we managed to reach a certain level of emails.

Especially considering they have ignored the PM's plea and will most likely ignore that of his lawyer.

Private messages are just as useless as emails... :D ;)

(do I win the award for bad joke of the year?)

Sorry mibrane, he's toast. This is barely even news anymore here in Singapore, and the only people talking about it are pissed-off Aussie expats. The newspapers serve as a political barometer - a dismally accurate one.

It's very not cool that he's going to be executed, but there is a valuable lesson: if you want to reduce your harm from illicit drugs, not smuggling them through a country with the death penalty is a good place to start.

To draw on the argument currently raging in Aus Social I think it's pretty shortsighted to view it as being as cut & dried as 'don't smuggle drugs through a country with the death penalty'. Given he was doing it in order to pay off his twin brother's debts with a Sydney syndicate, I don't think choice necessarily came into it, or it was a choice between him possibly getting caught and his brother probably being killed.

I find this whole thing pretty fucking tragic. Especially given our government pretty obviously couldn't care less.

-plaz out-

haha fuck the guy broke the LAW in a country that has harsh drug laws. he knew this. his own fault. i dont feel sorry for him at all. tough shit buddy.

plazma said:
Especially given our government pretty obviously couldn't care less.

I dont think its that they dont give a shit, but they are resigned to the fact that he is fucked and no amount of bitching and moaning will get him back. Its not like we can invade Singapore and break him out.

plazma said:
I think it's pretty shortsighted to view it as being as cut & dried as 'don't smuggle drugs through a country with the death penalty'. Given he was doing it in order to pay off his twin brother's debts with a Sydney syndicate, I don't think choice necessarily came into it, or it was a choice between him possibly getting caught and his brother probably being killed.

There's always some tear-jerking story that justifies their actions 8)

how medieval is it that our modern age still punishes people by murdering them for drug-related crimes . . .

if we're to be consistent with our laws and legal policies, why arent we murdering rapists and paedophiles? . . .

i dont not advocate violence or the death penalty in any form (ffs, im an ethical vegetarian), but i can not see how any country is being consistent with its laws by killing someone who trafficks drugs, but not kill a killer . . .

aunty establishment said:
It's very not cool that he's going to be executed, but there is a valuable lesson: if you want to reduce your harm from illicit drugs, not smuggling them through a country with the death penalty is a good place to start.
Read what I wrote again plazma.

1. I'm not pleased that he's being executed.
2. It should serve as a lesson to other people not to smuggle drugs through countries with the death penalty. Whatever Nguyen's situation, you have the choice not to do it - learn from that.

crow - Singapore executes murderers too. We definitely have consistency, of the worst kind.

Apologism for murder - offensive, stupid

ihaq4w33d said:
haha fuck the guy broke the LAW in a country that has harsh drug laws. he knew this. his own fault. i dont feel sorry for him at all. tough shit buddy.
You, sir, are a baboon! :X
This 25 year old oz-e is about to be executed - hung, for fucks sake - and you think its tough shit. Ever been with somebody as they die? :( To feel the extinction of an entire quantum universe of possibility? 8o I very much doubt it, because you would not speak of death with such blaise shite - as if he had purchased a lemon for a car and "deserves what he gets cos he didn't have a mechanic check over it before handing over his money?
How old are your mates? if the howard govt decided we could be hung for our choice of what we do with our body, mind, spirit - use drugs - would it be our tough shit?
Presumably, given what this board is here for, i imagine you have used illicit drugs.
Nguyen is a very small fish in an oncean of illicit drug smuggling. An unnatural ocean borne of drug war. Nguyen is about to become a casualty - collateral damage of that war. People like Nguyen help keep users in drugs - they are our people! And they're being murdered.
does a young teenage mother living under the rule of sharia law in, say, nigeria, deserve tough shit when she becomes pregnant and is to be stoned to death for adultery? the drug war is guilty of similar barbarities, and the lives it takes are just as valuable and unique. were the victims of the holocaust deserving for being jewish in a place that had harsh laws against that sort of thing? The numbers of deaths as a result of the war on drugs is fast approaching a holocaust of similar scale.Make no mistake - nguyen is a political prisoner, and is about to be executed for taking a powder from one country to another.
i have corresponded with nguyen as he sits on death row. he's just a young guy with dreams and loves. he could be many of us. I will grieve his loss if clemency is not granted, and i would appreciate those born without any apparent ability for empathy to keep their apologies for murder out of a thread thats here for action, not argument.

You're wasting your words mibrane. You should be talking to the Singaporean government or an advocacy group (e.g. www.thinkcentre.org), not some hot-headed kids on a message board.

Still, there's a good chance it's already too late - Friday is hanging day over at Changi. I guess we'll know by tonight :(

Out of interest, does anyone know if they use the English Long Drop in Singapore or the old traditional method?

I would hope that its english long drop. I'm sure that by some international law they should, because traditional hanging is quite messy. Anyone know for sure?

^how do you mean traditional? I was under the impression that the neck is to be snapped in all forms of hanging...

^^ not always.

A friend of mine survived a hanging suicide attempt and his neck is still intact.

Well, obviously suicide attempts dont count because not many are aware that the notch on the noose is supposed to be on the side (its more humane)

The traditional way of hanging generally chokes the victim to death because there isnt enough pressure to snap the neck. If your lynched or strung up you'll choke (Iran still executes people like this. They dont usually die instantly).

The long drop snaps your neck instantly. You need 1260 foot pounds of pressure to snap the neck every time. There is a formula that dictates the length of the rope required vs the persons weight.

I know this, because one Sunday I got an entire lecture about it while a mate was reading wikipedia.

Though there is nothing there that says what method Singapore uses.

hazzard002 said:
I agree Jimity. I think our government does care, but you also have to realise that given they already appealed, further requests could be considered to be pressure and influence.

God forbid we should pressure another government over the brutal execution of one of our own citizens!!! :X

Secondly, humane or not, this is a fucking brutal way to die, but they all are (probably not quite to the degree of the electric chair but close). This is fucking horrific and I can't believe the callous attitudes of so many people who I would have done the credit of assuming they were open minded and/or caring.

-plaz out-