• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

my first run of the year, cos i've been ill.

i manipulated myself into not drinking last night cos i really wanted to do a long run today.

well, it turns out there is a big difference between feeling better sitting on your arse and actually being better when you're trying to exert yourself physically. hope i haven't put my recovery back. only did 4k. didn't use my inhaler before because the people working with me on my lung issues are trying a different treatment and wanted to see if it enabled me not to need the inhaler. probably not a good time to try this.

stupidly, think i might go on another run tomorrow.

i manipulated myself into not drinking last night cos i really wanted to do a long run today.

well, it turns out there is a big difference between feeling better sitting on your arse and actually being better when you're trying to exert yourself physically. hope i haven't put my recovery back. only did 4k. didn't use my inhaler before because the people working with me on my lung issues are trying a different treatment and wanted to see if it enabled me not to need the inhaler. probably not a good time to try this.

Only try it if it's safe for your lungs hun <3
I've always had asthma and it's strongly triggered by exercise, and still to this day if I go out for a run without have some Ventolin, I only make it about 200-300 metres before my lungs tighten up and I have to turn back. It's the most awful feeling!!

Fuck, I cannot WAIT til I can run again!!! Only a couple of months to go I reckon, depending on whether I have a vaginal birth or a c-section (there is a very real chance of having the latter, which is a longer recovery time).

Great job on the not drinking and the running!! I agree that sitting around doing nothing may feel better at the time, but the long term effects of exercise are totally worth fighting the urge to do that. Sorry about your illness, I hope you are feeling better.

I don’t another run is a bad idea, just keep it short and use the inhaler if you feel you need it.

My half marathon training has been going well, but sadly I may have to dial it back quite a bit and set my sights on a different race farther out. I’m most likely going to start CDL school to get a better job in trucking.

The classes are Monday-Thursday 5pm-9pm. I work Monday-Friday either 7am-330pm or 530am-330pm for OT hours(whoch happens quite frequently.) That doesn’t leave much time to get in the kind of miles I need to run a good half marathon time. The race isn’t until March 20th and I don’t want to put the school off that long. It’s a hard decision as this was to he my first half marathon and was a personal goal of mine, but it’s the right decision for my future.

There will be plenty of races down the road. I plan on finding a local driving job so as to he home every night, so it won’t interfer with my training and family time and so forth. Over the road is not for me, lol.

On a side note, extremely cold temps here have been forcing training runs indoors on the treadmill. I’m adapting well to that.

My half marathon training has been going well, but sadly I may have to dial it back quite a bit and set my sights on a different race farther out. I’m most likely going to start CDL school to get a better job in trucking.

The classes are Monday-Thursday 5pm-9pm. I work Monday-Friday either 7am-330pm or 530am-330pm for OT hours(whoch happens quite frequently.) That doesn’t leave much time to get in the kind of miles I need to run a good half marathon time. The race isn’t until March 20th and I don’t want to put the school off that long. It’s a hard decision as this was to he my first half marathon and was a personal goal of mine, but it’s the right decision for my future.

There will be plenty of races down the road. I plan on finding a local driving job so as to he home every night, so it won’t interfer with my training and family time and so forth. Over the road is not for me, lol.
Yeah man I used to get really upset if I couldn't make an event, like if I had a cold, or an injury, or gastro etc. But I'd then always tell myself that there are ALWAYS events on, so if you miss one, you just readjust your training schedule and aim for the next one :)

Yeah man I used to get really upset if I couldn't make an event, like if I had a cold, or an injury, or gastro etc. But I'd then always tell myself that there are ALWAYS events on, so if you miss one, you just readjust your training schedule and aim for the next one :)
Yeah, the only reason it’s kind of a big deal to me is it would be my first race longer than 10k and my training is going so well. But you are totally right, that’s the attorney I need to take. Thanks for the support.

i found a trail half marathon awhile back and the kicker is that it's night race. i signed up a couple months back thinking it'd be a good opportunity to practice night running if i wanna try a 100k or 100 mile at some point.

only problem is i forgot about it until i saw a reminder email this morning lol. i have been running somehgwat so i think i can finish but not sure if i'm gonna attempt it or not. the weather looks cold and rainy and im kinda undertrained.

decisons decisons...

Great job on the not drinking and the running!! I agree that sitting around doing nothing may feel better at the time, but the long term effects of exercise are totally worth fighting the urge to do that. Sorry about your illness, I hope you are feeling better.

I don’t another run is a bad idea, just keep it short and use the inhaler if you feel you need it.
thanks. am getting better. had covid. really glad i got the 'good' version cos its been fucking shit. i did use my inhaler before going out this morning and it didn't make any appreciable difference compared to yesterday. i'm the only person i know who'se had omicron and had any respiratory symptoms from it. i hope they resolve soon. i was supposed to finally get my lung diagnosis last week but couldn't cos of covid and now i have to have MORE investigations to see if having covid has changed any of my results. fml.

also i'm having cardio symptoms that i haven't had since the really early days of quitting crack. only when running thankfully, except for my tinnitus has got way worse and is basically constant (this is damage to my blood vessels due to injecting cocaine, so it is cardio even though it sounds random).

On a side note, extremely cold temps here have been forcing training runs indoors on the treadmill. I’m adapting well to that.
totally get your reluctance to put things back but it sounds like you have a decent reason. prioritising your career is probably the right choice, especially if these courses don't come up often.

amazed you can run on a treadmill. i can't even run on roads. tbh quite glad i'm too ill to run far cos the parks i go through for longer distances are by a river and completely waterlogged right now.

@n3ophy7e i'm imagining you becoming one of those mums on parkrun that go round pushing their babies. i'm sure you'll be back out soon enough.

@thegreenhand what did you decide? hope it went well if you went but totally get it being cold and wet and not mentally prepared making it harder.

what did you decide? hope it went well if you went but totally get it being cold and wet and not mentally prepared making it harder.
Ended up not going. It was a 1.5 hr drive each way and I had no one to go with so I’d be driving back home after the run soaking wet and cold and tired. So I decided not to go

just did my 4th run since covid.

i'd been encouraged on wednesday because my lungs weren't anywhere near as bad. but it was frosty so i was going slowly and carefully even for me, as there was ice on the paths. today it wasn't icy so i could go faster and my lungs felt worse again, but my pace was far far better like 30s/k better than at the weekend, so even though i still feel like shit there is obvious improvement, wahey!!!

just did my 4th run since covid.

i'd been encouraged on wednesday because my lungs weren't anywhere near as bad. but it was frosty so i was going slowly and carefully even for me, as there was ice on the paths. today it wasn't icy so i could go faster and my lungs felt worse again, but my pace was far far better like 30s/k better than at the weekend, so even though i still feel like shit there is obvious improvement, wahey!!!
Very nice!! I’m glad you are improving.

I hate the freaking ice. So dangerous. I’ve slipped a couple times this year but haven’t fallen. Just another reason for me to take the runs indoors to the treadmill. My dad fell on the ice a week ago and broke his ankle. Not running either, just trying to walk and he didn’t realize the ice was there.

yeah ice has been a major problem for me as of late. sucks about your dad’s ankle. my gym is being all strict about masks which makes the treadmill like water boarding. plus treadmill is boring. still i’ve used it a few times this winter season.

miss living right next to lakefront trail. i’ve found a trail by a high school’s track training area. it’s reasonably well maintained. has some strava segments — fun.

ran a 10k today. further than my usual 4.5 miles. the end of my course was covered in snow so i had to turn around early and find some other way. felt good and decided to keep going. looking forward to a chipped 10k event early april.

nice to see you’re still at it, chinup. and thrilled to see how much activity this thread is getting. whatup everyone. winter runners are badass.

Last edited:
oohhhhfff @RDP89 i really hope your dad is healing up OK.

@hydroazuanacaine i have never even lived by a lakefront trail but i miss it too, glad you've found somewhere good though. running in nature is important to me. i couldn't do it just on roads. there aren't many good things about the shitty town i live in, but my house is 750m from a park that follows a river, you can run as far as you like without having to go on a road.

but i'm a fucking dingus. i was aiming for 10k today, and you'd think having a river is a pretty good landmark. for some bizarre reason on the way home i decided to take a 90 degree turn and just head completely the wrong direction. alongside a fucking theme park that i know where it is and that i should not be running with it on my left to get home. only went 500 m out of my way but feel stupid.

to be fair, i was in a lot of pain. i had another weird asthma/panic attack on friday - ended up in a fucking ambulance again - and it always destroys all my back muscles and my lungs for a few days. my back and lungs had been bothering me since like 4 k in so i'm not surprised i was not mentally my best after 7 k. still though, a random 90 degree turn and taking 500 m to realise i'm not running along a fucking river is a whole new level of stupidity.

did my fastest 10k of the year and my longest run so far (12 km) and it was fucking glorious. like apart from the 9th km when i was pushing my pace a bit cos i realised i could get a good 'for me' 10 km time i was going at a relatively relaxed pace but it still turned out to be reasonable 'for me' otherwise obviously i couldn't have got a remotely decent 10 k time just by going faster in the last k.

and i wasn't totally dead after. i did some stuff in the garden. its such a contrast to last year when a long run was followed by a nap and probably not getting out of bed til the early evening.

i'm fucking broke and made a massive tear in my running shoes yesterday. i need to replace immediately cos i cannot face not being able to run, i've been feeling crap and exhausted recently and its the one thing that's keeping me from going into complete self destruct mode. plus i'm loving seeing the world come to life, we've had gorgeous weather here.

edit cos i was talking about shoes i could buy using a voucher.... that is fucking expired fml.

ok, cheap running shoes recommendations anyone? i do 15-30 k per week so need something with reasonable support but not super fancy.

Last edited by a moderator:
@chinup try ebay or gumtree (do you guys have gumtree in the UK? It's like craigslist) and get some second-hand. That's what I do. Find some that have only been worn once, you should be able to find some for like at least half the RRP :)

thanks @n3ophy7e we do have gumtree. i'm a bit grossed out about the prospect of used trainers but then they are gross after i wear them even once and i really do need to economise so i'll take a look on ebay.

up at 5am for a 7am start time.
good luck!!

no running for me this morning but hoping for a long run tomorrow. really hope more leaves have come out n the trees to provide some shade, it will only be 12 degrees but the past few long runs i've had to do shorter than initially intended cos lack of shade was getting too much.