• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

Running is awesome! It's a form of meditation, for me. I get in to a trance, and my mind becomes so clear.
it really is!

A lot of people don't realize there are actually many forms of meditation, it's not all just sitting still and breathing exercises. There are several forms of active meditation that involve physical activities.

Got a pair of Hokas - they're really comfortable. I get bad shin splints. Need to do calf raises.

Stopping cigarettes and running more. Energy drinks next. Plan is to substitute with smoothies
That’s the Bondi right? I just keep reordering the Bondi 7 because I like it and I’ve had troubles with shoes in the past. Lol
Best of luck on the quitting cigs and getting fit. Great decision.

Stopping cigarettes and running more. Energy drinks next. Plan is to substitute with smoothies
getting into running actually enabled me to quit the cigs. i had failed so many times.

did a very short trail run this morning, am in the lake dristrict with my mum, we were planning a walk too but i knew her pace/walk choice isn't challenging for me so fit a run in too. my pace has like 2.5 mins slower per km. its fucking nuts how uch of a difference it makes!!

i have a friend who does iron mans and has a reasonable marathon time do his first ever train race not long ago. he was really surprised that the time divisions seemed so slow (he's used to road running) and put himself in for 3 hours 10 mins, which he thought would be a piece of cake for 25 km. took him 3h 15. puts things into perspective, just how much of a difference terrain makes.

When I was young, and an idiot, I used to go for jogs and stop to smoke a cig in the middle of the trail :facepalm:

I still vape, but it doesn't seem to impact my running too much at all

When I was young, and an idiot, I used to go for jogs and stop to smoke a cig in the middle of the trail :facepalm:
i used to have a friend who could hike up steep slopes while smoking a cig. she was in her 30s at the time too. some people can just get away with shit.

i went through a brief phase of going for a run and scoring crack in the middle but the run was actually a cover as to why i was going out to my housemates.

i used to have a friend who could hike up steep slopes while smoking a cig. she was in her 30s at the time too. some people can just get away with shit.

i went through a brief phase of going for a run and scoring crack in the middle but the run was actually a cover as to why i was going out to my housemates.
Yeah I got away with it for awhile as well, but sometime in my later 20s when my drinking really took off I started chain smoking, that's when I was really hacking up a lung every morning and just couldn't do it anymore.

It got to the point where I couldn't even take a hit of weed without dying in a coughing fit.

Got a pair of Hokas - they're really comfortable. I get bad shin splints. Need to do calf raises.

Those look like Bondi 7’s. I’m currently on my fourth pair in a row of those lol.

Did 22 miles today in 2:47:30. Avg pace 7:35/mile. Chicago Marathon less than a month away. So excited and also nervous.
Epic!!

That's awesome man. I want to run a marathon one day. My longest run ever was 13 miles. I just need to fully quit drinking before I can train more seriously, it handicaps me in a major way.

Epic!!

That's awesome man. I want to run a marathon one day. My longest run ever was 13 miles. I just need to fully quit drinking before I can train more seriously, it handicaps me in a major way.
Yeah, I couldn’t imagine trying to seriously run (or run at all really) if I was actively drinking. I haven’t drank in over 3 years. You can do it as well mate!

Yeah, I couldn’t imagine trying to seriously run (or run at all really) if I was actively drinking. I haven’t drank in over 3 years. You can do it as well mate!
Yeah I'm kinda weird, active alcoholic drinking 16 units per day, then will wake up hungover and run a 5k or 10k and do that 3x per week. But it's impossible to run more than that or improve my times, my organs start screaming and rampant inflammation.

Yeah I'm kinda weird, active alcoholic drinking 16 units per day, then will wake up hungover and run a 5k or 10k and do that 3x per week. But it's impossible to run more than that or improve my times, my organs start screaming and rampant inflammation.
Wow that’s crazy, I remember you talking about this before. If you do decide to quit drinking you will feel so much better on runs. If you’re able to run through hangovers like that consistently you’ve got to be a naturally strong runner.

Wow that’s crazy, I remember you talking about this before. If you do decide to quit drinking you will feel so much better on runs. If you’re able to run through hangovers like that consistently you’ve got to be a naturally strong runner.
I've quit a few times and when I do I feel so light on my feet. Like I was running with a 70lb training vest on before while I was drinking.

Chicago Marathon 3:10:23

Was on Sub-3 hour pace for 18 miles then started to fall apart. Fought through intense pain for the last 7 miles to finish. Nearly collapsed shortly after mile 25 due to multiple muscle cramps.

Still quite a respectable time for my first marathon I think. And I will run faster next time. I’m looking at a marathon in April. Goal is still to go Sub-3 hour and qualify for Boston.

Last edited:
@RDP89 congrats on the first marathon! Epic.

I'm sad because the weather is getting colder and I hate running in the cold because I sweat so much and am sensitive to cold temps.

@RDP89 congrats on the first marathon! Epic.

I'm sad because the weather is getting colder and I hate running in the cold because I sweat so much and am sensitive to cold temps.
Thanks!!
Do you still sweat when it is cold? I love the cooler temperatures for running but January and February it just gets too fucking cold here and I take the running indoors. I’m alright with basically anything down to about 30 Fahrenheit, (Ideally above freezing though, and the wind is also a huge factor as it feels so much colder.)but when it’s in the teens or 20’s Fahrenheit and windy as fuck it’s not happening.

The cold dry air is harder on the throat and lungs. It’s also hard to find the right balance between too much and too little clothing when it’s really cold. Anything in the 40’s and 50’s Fahrenheit I find great for running.