• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

PXL-20211112-155135315.jpg

Got some new shoes cant wait to run
Let’s gooooo!!!!!!!! How do you like the Brooks?

Yeah, my long slow runs are probably still too fast. My average pace on the ten mile was 7:09/ mile(4:27/km). Probably should be more like 8:30 or even 9:00.

That’s what I’m hoping is that my knees get used to it. I think they already have started to because I consistently ran all the past year, but switched it up with cycling. They would get bad enough before to where I couldn’t run at all without pain to the point I feared I was risking injury, but they always healed quickly. Thanks so much for your input!!
What's your foot strike like? Do you strike the ground with your heel? I used to have a lot of knee pain when running longer distances, and I got shin splints pretty bad too. When I changed to striking the ground on the balls of my feet instead of my heels first, all my pain went away. Watch the professional marathon runners in slow motion, they hit the ground on the balls of their feet.
I also shortened my gait ever so slightly and that helped too.
Diclofenac (gel or tablets) works wonders for joint pain <3 And ICE PACKS!!!! I always used ice packs after running longer distances.

I love them !!

worth the money
Brooks are by far my favourite running shoe brand. Good choice!

What's your foot strike like? Do you strike the ground with your heel? I used to have a lot of knee pain when running longer distances, and I got shin splints pretty bad too. When I changed to striking the ground on the balls of my feet instead of my heels first, all my pain went away. Watch the professional marathon runners in slow motion, they hit the ground on the balls of their feet.
Diclofenac (gel or tablets) works wonders for joint pain <3 And ICE PACKS!!!! I always used ice packs after running longer distances.
I have a pretty good mid-sole strike so I don’t think that’s the issue. I’m hoping it isn’t as much of an issue this time as I up the mileage now that I’ve been running for a longer time period. We shall see.

Been doing shorter runs lately. All less than 5 miles. Haven’t done a long run in a few weeks. Don’t know why lol

There’s a trail marathon I may do the first week of January. The interesting thing is that it’s a night race. I. Thinking this may be a good opportunity for me to practice nighttime trail running if I wanna push towards longer ultras in the future

I'd been doing shorter ones too just cos I go before work and have been waking up later, so less time. Been trying to improve my 3k speed.

Did my first 10k since July on Saturday, cos in August I was hiking at weekends, September I was killing myself up mountains, and October redecorating then moving house. My time was within a minute of my best time, without really trying and have to stop for a million dogs cos they just love running right in front of you.

Night time marathon sounds nuts, though I guess if you want to do ultras eventually you do need to do some.

Been doing shorter runs lately. All less than 5 miles. Haven’t done a long run in a few weeks. Don’t know why lol

There’s a trail marathon I may do the first week of January. The interesting thing is that it’s a night race. I. Thinking this may be a good opportunity for me to practice nighttime trail running if I wanna push towards longer ultras in the future
That sounds like a cool race.

I'd been doing shorter ones too just cos I go before work
That’s good discipline, I dont have it lol.

That sounds like a cool race.
Yeah it seems fun. I think there is a half marathon too which I may opt for instead. I have some plans for a few big days out in the mountains this spring and don’t wanna set myself back too far. I don’t think I’m in marathon shape rn tbh

Just did my final race of the season on Sunday. 5k 19:00 on the slow side for me but the second half of the out and back race was into an 18 mph headwind, so whatever. I won the race though.

Gonna run my first half marathon in March.

I often found that after competing in big event, I was only interested in doing shorter runs for a while afterwards.

I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy and I am SO desperate to go for a run! I legit dream about it. But I can't run until after I've healed from birth....so realistically another 4-5 months or so :(

I often found that after competing in big event, I was only interested in doing shorter runs for a while afterwards.

I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy and I am SO desperate to go for a run! I legit dream about it. But I can't run until after I've healed from birth....so realistically another 4-5 months or so :(
Yeah plus the cold weather has started here and I’m just not in the mood for long runs lol

Perhaps you’re able to do light stationary cycling or swimming for your cardio fix? Idk anything about pregnancy though I’m clueless, so just ignore me if that’s a dumb idea!

Yeah plus the cold weather has started here and I’m just not in the mood for long runs lol

Perhaps you’re able to do light stationary cycling or swimming for your cardio fix? Idk anything about pregnancy though I’m clueless, so just ignore me if that’s a dumb idea!
It's not a dumb idea at all!! I'm still getting a fair amount of "exercise" at work, as my job is quite intensive and physically demanding. Plus now that my baby is growing bigger and my uterus is pushing up on my diaphragm, I get puffed out simply from walking from one room to the other. I am not even exaggerating that at all! I just specifically want to RUN though hahaha. I'll just have to wait.

It's not a dumb idea at all!! I'm still getting a fair amount of "exercise" at work, as my job is quite intensive and physically demanding. Plus now that my baby is growing bigger and my uterus is pushing up on my diaphragm, I get puffed out simply from walking from one room to the other. I am not even exaggerating that at all! I just specifically want to RUN though hahaha. I'll just have to wait.
I gotcha lol. Running is a particularly good feeling other exercise can’t recreate. You’ll be back at it in no time!

That’s good discipline, I dont have it lol.
its cos i can't run with food in my stomach.

i find it difficult to sit on the couch doing nothing with food in my stomach so running is a non starter, even if i do 15-10k its on an empty stomach.

i think this might have something to do with me not being able to improve my times much, no fast energy available without food. though getting shit scared of getting out of breath after my experience in the summer hasn't helped in the summer.

its cos i can't run with food in my stomach.

i find it difficult to sit on the couch doing nothing with food in my stomach so running is a non starter, even if i do 15-10k its on an empty stomach.

i think this might have something to do with me not being able to improve my times much, no fast energy available without food. though getting shit scared of getting out of breath after my experience in the summer hasn't helped in the summer.
Perhaps bringing some food with you to eat mid way through the run? That’s what I normally do. Like dried fruit or those lil applesauce squeeze packs or something

Perhaps bringing some food with you to eat mid way through the run? That’s what I normally do. Like dried fruit or those lil applesauce squeeze packs or something
that would probably be better for longer runs. but its also hard for me to convince myself to use like actual energy when i could be burning fat, dumb i know.

that would probably be better for longer runs. but its also hard for me to convince myself to use like actual energy when i could be burning fat, dumb i know.
So my understanding of things is that muscle cells burn either glucose or fats. And unless you’re in a ketogenic state the muscle cells won’t be adapted to burn fat unless you’re essentially in starvation for multiple days. So on a normal run you probably wont be “burning fat” regardless of if you’ve ate anything before/during. Basically just your glycogen stores

That said, I do think there can be some benefit to training low i.e. fasted and not having ate many carbs the night before. But this is probably only beneficial like once a week or so to give your body a different challenge to adapt to.

So my understanding of things is that muscle cells burn either glucose or fats. And unless you’re in a ketogenic state the muscle cells won’t be adapted to burn fat unless you’re essentially in starvation for multiple days. So on a normal run you probably wont be “burning fat” regardless of if you’ve ate anything before/during. Basically just your glycogen stores

That said, I do think there can be some benefit to training low i.e. fasted and not having ate many carbs the night before. But this is probably only beneficial like once a week or so to give your body a different challenge to adapt to.
fair enough, thank you!

i'm sure my brain will come up with another piece of bullshit excuse in a minute but its good to know that it won't be making a significant difference to fat burning.