• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Rehab- Is it effective?

i seem to remember reading that 80 percent of people who go to recover from their addiction eend up taking drugs again

Yeah, the statistics are pretty poor, especially for opiate and meth users. I read about a year ago that most heroin addicts, even after a year of abstinence still relapse within the next year or so 90% of the time. I'll try to find that source.

But honestly, statistics dont really help, and I try not to fall into them, however- its easier said then done

i seem to remember reading that 80 percent of people who go to recover from their addiction eend up taking drugs again

I know I did eventually wind up doing drugs again. Unfortunately some real bad stuff happened to me & I was in need of a crutch or three. I still find using the (relatively) low-level drugs I now use to be vastly better than taking meds or being unhappy any more than I am currently.

For me, going to a different country, forced into rehab, under 24/7 watch, cell phone restored and cell number changed. It didn't stop me from finding drugs. I faked doing well in rehab to get out. I made friends with the nurse in rehab and he got me meth. I took my grandma's prescription pad and wrote Effexor to induce mania, got her to prescribe me Ritalin, etc. Rehabilitation is a life long process. There is no "prescribed" amount of rehab.

So far, in my life I have been able to quit any thing or person I managed to hate enough.
If you don't hate the thing that holds you, I don't know how you can escape it.
about 5 years ago a friend told me he wanted to be off of the addiction he had with
meth, and his prostitute addict girlfriend. He asked me to help him write up a list of
reasons for him to quit & I realized after I got the paper & pen out that if he cannot
think of reasons why he hated doing meth ( actually the meth was "doing him" at this
point) then he wasn't hating the drug & I wasn't gonna be able to help him quit in the
same fashion I employed. Perhaps some electroshock therapy would work, actually he
has stopped, but only because he is finally running so low on money & he has to save
to pay his mortgage & his nasty GF finally got lost. I am glad that at least something
finally slowed him down.

^electroshock therapy. It's funny(actually its horrible), but alchohol and addiction seems to run in my family on my fathers side, and my grandfather actually did receive electro shock therapy back in the 70's for his alcoholism. He did then quit, though I don't know if it was thanks to the EST haha.

I think the one drug that has truly baffled me during my drug use has been cocaine. It's such a nasty drug (especially when smoked or injected-which was how I used it), and it really offers nothing in return (save for a real nice rush, i will admit) for the misery it causes. What's strange is that cocaine has been the drug that in a way has always been the hardest for me to put down. Thanks to suboxone, in the past two years, I could usually force myself to stop using heroin when things were just getting too out of control, but the cocaine remained a real problem, even though I really hate the way it changes me.

I think the one drug that has truly baffled me during my drug use has been cocaine. It's such a nasty drug (especially when smoked or injected-which was how I used it), and it really offers nothing in return (save for a real nice rush, i will admit) for the misery it causes. What's strange is that cocaine has been the drug that in a way has always been the hardest for me to put down. Thanks to suboxone, in the past two years, I could usually force myself to stop using heroin when things were just getting too out of control, but the cocaine remained a real problem, even though I really hate the way it changes me.

That's nuts. Although I've used it plenty from being around others that loved it, I never understood the appeal of cocaine. It always felt to me like watered down meth and just made me want to do the real thing. The only exception is shooting speedballs. Only THEN did I finally understand the rush spoken of when doing coke. Could never get anywhere close to that from snorting it.

I have only been to one rehab but I did a lot of reflection and observation. In my opinion it can be a useful tool. It's helpful to detox around a group of people who feel like shit just like you. It makes you feel better about the whole thing in my opinion. Is it going to keep you clean and give you new skills? No, that's on you. Learn from the other people there, they can help a lot through the rehab process and beyond. Talk to everyone. Make friends with everyone. Don't be afraid to open up. If you want to recover you have to let others in and approach this process with an open mind.

You will get a safe place to readjust your body. I made a buddy in rehab who thought the whole thing was a bunch of crap. But he was glad when he had his seizure he wasn't in his farm house an hour from the hospital.

The food will suck unless your going to a high-end place. Try not to bitch about it too much (I'm a chef so I couldn't help but explain to my friends exactly what was wrong with each dish).

The beds will suck. Just cause its $1000 a night to detox doesn't mean your gonna get to go to sleep at night... I would prefer ANY couch over the beds. I found out how little sleep I need\want.

The meds will suck. You might get a valium or librium the first little bit. Be prepared for hell. I went from alot of drugs to nothing pretty quick. They even weaned me of the shit I was legitly prescribed quick. My farmer friend had a whole bottle of suboxone burned by the staff (I asked him how he didn't know if they just ate them?). Anyway don't bring anything in that your afraid to loose if you haven't got it approved... Wanting a medication you have a prescription for is drug abuse in many rehabs...

Their not going to teach you anything or bring you to a grand epiphany or something. They will give you some propaganda which will be helpful as long as you don't analyze the content or use your own brain. Bringing your brain to a 12 step meeting is about as welcome as a bottle of jack daniels.

Ex. Like if your an alcoholic you can never take narcotic pain pills because then you'll become addicted like magic and then you'll be addicted to the alcohol again too. I understand the desire to help people but lying is always harmful if you ask me. If a former alcoholic can't handle taking a few percocet as prescribed I truly wonder how strong their recovery really is... I understand telling people to beware of prescription meds they are addicting as hell and that's a good thing to keep people wary of them. But for example they told me I should change medication despite the fact I have tried many alternatives. Trust me I wish I could never take my scripts again. But just because I want a med that works I'm an addict in denial headed for relapse. Or maybe I've already relapsed by taking a script med as prescribed after struggling with alcohol... Fucking crazy....

All in all it will piss you off if you let it. Don't get caught up in the bullshit and drama. Take the propaganda for what it is and leave what you don't like. If you try to make the best of your time, even if rehab is forced on you like it was me, then you will learn from it. I have not gone back to my old ways...

I would have a problem believing stuff I know is not true. However I found cocaine to be very helpful, I actually used it in a weight-loss program a year & 1/2 ago, and it worked for me when Rimonabant & Adipex would not for helping me lose 75 lbs, which in turn lowered my blood pressure from 210/120 down to a much healthier level. As a person with drug (and other) issues myself, you sound pretty bitter about the whole re-hab thing. I know for myself from my last time I quit a very bad habit (meth) that I would have never stopped using it had I not decided, of my own volition, that I wanted to quit. I don't want you to find me thinking some holier than thou bs, I use several to many drugs, I just try not to make "best friends" with any one--Maybe my way would be worse for someone else, seems to work for me.

If you can't pull yourself away and you hate the person you've become, then rehab is just for you!

Yeah, it's sad watching people relapse.

Rehab may not be your answer to beating your addiction (not you specifically znegative), but in my opinion if you are considering going, and have the resources ($, support etc..) I say go.

When it comes down to it, there is nothing negative that will come out of going to rehab. There really isn't any reason to avoid it. Sure..it may not 'work' but that's no reason to not go. What if it does? What if you are that 1% or whatever crazy statistic they throw at you LOL.

I found that an alternative to rehab is enrolling in an IOP (intensive outpatient program). They last longer than rehab, you have some of the guidelines like drug testing weekly and sometimes randomly, and you have group therapy and sometimes cognitive therapy. I found IOP 3 nights a week and NA the other 3 or 4 nights to be a really beneficial combination for me. Sure, I did not want to go every night.. but dragging my ass there and staying clean one more night felt good.

Since my IOP I have relapsed and gotten clean a few times.. nothing to be proud of, but it was a good experience and honestly I am considering signing up for another IOP when I try to get clean this time around. I went 3 nights a week like 3 hours a night. then on off days I would hit a meeting (na).

The thing that is great about rehab is it gives you a head start into being clean. The best thing is rehab then IOP. But if you can get your self clean, IOP might be just fine for you. Those first 30 days are fuckin hard as fuck to get though.. and no one can tackle this alone. You need some love some family or friends or professional help. So rehab will get you over that hump during your most vulnerable time, while you will be experiencing serious paws from the detox you just did.

If you don't want the help, or are being forced to go, you will have less success than if you were the one pulling the strings and trying to get your self into a program. Though like I said, if you have the resources, even if mommy is forcing you to go to rehab, even though the chance of success might be low or you may not wanna be there at all, nothing bad will come from doing a program. Maybe you WILL get clean! Who knows? The sky is the limit.

@@PHATASS. If that statistic is right that's not that bad. Hey if 2 our of 10 people make it.. that's fuckin awesome. Good for those 2. It gves you something to strive for, you know it's possible. A lot mor ehope than saying 1 out of 1000 stay clean lol/

All in all it will piss you off if you let it. Don't get caught up in the bullshit and drama. Take the propaganda for what it is and leave what you don't like. If you try to make the best of your time, even if rehab is forced on you like it was me, then you will learn from it. I have not gone back to my old ways...

The bullshit and drama is pretty bad in rehabs since everybody is so whiney since they are coming off drugs, and most people are very immature since they stopped maturing due to their drug use. People complain about petty shit, and if someones nail clippers are "missing" it becomes this huge ordeal. There were a couple of fights at the rehab that I was at, and since the people were court mandated they ended up in prison for violating probation. I just remember 40+ year olds acting like they were teenagers, and I couldn't believe how much bitching went on. It's best to avoid the drama like you said, but I disagree about talking to everybody and making friends with them. That's how all the shit talking and drama started in the first place.

When it comes down to it, there is nothing negative that will come out of going to rehab. There really isn't any reason to avoid it. Sure..it may not 'work' but that's no reason to not go. What if it does? What if you are that 1% or whatever crazy statistic they throw at you LOL.

People meeting new drug connects through rehab is something negative that can come from it (depending on how you look at it haha). I would say that half of my friends connects have been met through rehab. My friend just got out a few weeks ago, and now has a new Brooklyn connect with some fire dope. I kept my nose clean of all the planned future dealings that went on while I was in rehab, and again, it comes down to if you really want to get clean or not. It's hard for some people to want to stay clean though if they just met a connect with a better price and a better count than what they were getting before.

The bullshit and drama is pretty bad in rehabs since everybody is so whiney since they are coming off drugs, and most people are very immature since they stopped maturing due to their drug use. People complain about petty shit, and if someones nail clippers are "missing" it becomes this huge ordeal. There were a couple of fights at the rehab that I was at, and since the people were court mandated they ended up in prison for violating probation. I just remember 40+ year olds acting like they were teenagers, and I couldn't believe how much bitching went on. It's best to avoid the drama like you said, but I disagree about talking to everybody and making friends with them. That's how all the shit talking and drama started in the first place.

People meeting new drug connects through rehab is something negative that can come from it (depending on how you look at it haha). I would say that half of my friends connects have been met through rehab. My friend just got out a few weeks ago, and now has a new Brooklyn connect with some fire dope. I kept my nose clean of all the planned future dealings that went on while I was in rehab, and again, it comes down to if you really want to get clean or not. It's hard for some people to want to stay clean though if they just met a connect with a better price and a better count than what they were getting before.

Yeah I guess you are right.. I mean you could say the same thing about NA. I have read poeple saying like drugs are being sold at their NA meetings.. thats unheard of around here. And I know sure as fuck in my IOP if you started offereing drugs or came in high youd get your ass called out. But yeah I guess your right.. having a direct connect is the beginning of the end for some people. I know for me I used to be an occasional oxy user back in the day till i got my own connects then my addiction took off.

As usual Tommyboy knows his shit and has somethin good to add lol.

One thing you can do is hit up a rehab far away from whre you live. It will be beneficial and you can avoid that. My IOP was like an hour form where I lived so I didnt make any friends that I chilled with or anything.. but I guess if I was goin in my hometown it could have been a bad situation, you meet the wrong epople, get like a ballin connect that your like damn i cant not buy this dope, its so cheap and fire !!!

i;'ve been going through rehab for the past 90 days....idk im just not a sobez person lolol. i like droogs alot beeter ::)

but i want to learn to how moderate myself, and i've been doing good. no longer and am i getting fucked up all day, i am trying to go to my IOP sober for most of the day (9am-1pm) and come home and get high idk im rambling now because im kind of fucked up

Yeah I guess you are right.. I mean you could say the same thing about NA. I have read poeple saying like drugs are being sold at their NA meetings.. thats unheard of around here. And I know sure as fuck in my IOP if you started offereing drugs or came in high youd get your ass called out. But yeah I guess your right.. having a direct connect is the beginning of the end for some people. I know for me I used to be an occasional oxy user back in the day till i got my own connects then my addiction took off.

As usual Tommyboy knows his shit and has somethin good to add lol.

One thing you can do is hit up a rehab far away from whre you live. It will be beneficial and you can avoid that. My IOP was like an hour form where I lived so I didnt make any friends that I chilled with or anything.. but I guess if I was goin in my hometown it could have been a bad situation, you meet the wrong epople, get like a ballin connect that your like damn i cant not buy this dope, its so cheap and fire !!!

Yeah I've been kicked out of one inpatient, and about 4 IOP's because I'd always gravitated towards those who were like me, not into it and forced to go. This lead to me being an IV user, and I was also arrested for buying crack for this one fellow patient. I feel like forcing someone into rehab is a real bad idea, unless they've already mastered the dark arts of hardcore drug use. I've seen a lot of people go in for minor percocet habits, and then I'd meet them a year later at a cop spot, strung out and shooting heroin. It is a difficult position though, for the family's and friends of someone with a drug problem, because of course you don't want them to have to totally bottom out before they decide to change their lifestyle, but at the same time, you don't want to send them to a place that can potentially lead to even riskier behavior, even if that institution's purpose is to provide treatment

i fucking support everything in your post znegative, spot on!! great post sir^^

Oh yes Znegative I forgot to say that you will hear alot of information about drugs. Mostly pulled from people's asses. You will also hear alot of bad ideas and observe stupidity in action constantly. It can be bad from that sense if someone is vulnerable to bad ideas and doesn't want to rehabilitate themselves.