• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Regional accents

I was there for the last year of it's status as a polytechnic, and I would have called it such, but it was re-named as a university the following academic year, along with all the other former polytechnics..

I enjoyed my year there although it definitely is something of a backwater as far as being on the circuit for gigs and other entertainment goes. The only band that I know of who actually played there during my one year there was Half Man Half Biscuit, which just confirms their status as legends even more firmly in my eyes.

Backwater? You can hear 'Duelling Banjos' wherever you go. Sunderland was the only place that wasn't sold out for Frankie Boyle. My friend said there were no tickets together, so she got the one behind Me. I'll be right in front of the stage, prime target to get the piss ripped out of me...

Frankie, like a lot of comedians, have gone all woke/political for me. Someone feed him some tramadol so he’s funny again.

Liam Cunningham who is Irish, does a GREAT Geordie accent in Game of Thrones. Little bit out of the blue, like I wonder why he thought Geordie was more appropriate for GoT? Still brilliant.
Fuck, I really thought he was a geordie, he was so spot on.
Watching 'Vera' makes me feel positively ill, it's such a bad attempt at a North East accent.

Frankie, like a lot of comedians, have gone all woke/political for me. Someone feed him some tramadol so he’s funny again.

Frankie Boyle 'woke'?

Fuck me. 'Tis indeed a sad time for comedy.

Now I hear that today's generation find 'Friends' to be offensive due to its lack of diversity.

OK, let's face it, it was nauseatingly shite as a 'comedy'. But offensive? Do me a fuckin favour.

Snowflakes, If you feel the need to be offended by comedy, just watch anything from the 70's.

Then leave your room and get a fuckin job you lazy cunts... 😀

Last edited:
I think that any impression of him having softened, is due to his series 'Frankie Boyle's New World Order'. He got dropped by 'Mock the Week', for going well over the line. It would be pretty stupid for him to lose another BBC series.
From what I've seen, his live stand up is just as abrasive as ever.

I am a fan of NCIS (original one), but for fuck's sake, I wish they'd get a decent language coach for British accents. I have just watched an American actor flailing around, trying to do a geordie accent. It's generally seen as one of the hardest accents to impersonate (can't watch 'Vera' as it makes me feel ill). We may get American dialects horribly wrong, but the episode I just watched just drifted between geordie, Welsh, something a bit like a Pakistani accent and one I have no fucking idea it was trying for.
It is possible (Inspector George Gently is a real 'back to being a kid' sort of job), but fuck, Dick van Dyke sounds utterly authentic compared to what I've just watched.
I used to fuck with American people by speaking really heavy Black Country to them.

I think that any impression of him having softened, is due to his series 'Frankie Boyle's New World Order'. He got dropped by 'Mock the Week', for going well over the line. It would be pretty stupid for him to lose another BBC series.
From what I've seen, his live stand up is just as abrasive as ever.

I read his biography 'My Shit Life so Far'.

I like the fact than in New World Order the writers are credited. It would have looked very odd if we were meant to believe that 1 guy is producing 8 hours of new material each year.

Yep - his delivery is unique and although people think he goes over the line... don't we all when we are laughing with mates? WE all know that it's between us and anything tasteless is purely for those that know us well. It's just how the back and forth of having a laugh works.

I like to think his choice of material is what will make the audience laugh and if you weren't there, you don't have the context. I think that's why people can just read a quote and make presumptions that he's some kind of dangerous lunatic.

BTW find 'Roy Chubby Brown' who has an interesting accent... not unlike some BLers who I have seen engaged in taking the piss.

@mal3volent @Jerry Atrick @Snafu in the Void I'm so eager to see what you make of this link? Any idea what is being said?

lol. Apparently Snafu has a better ear than me. About 95% of that was complete gibberish. I can probably understand Spanish better than that.

When I saw the youtube title as Black Country, I was half expecting to hear an African American from Alabama talking. There are Louisiana creole dialects I've heard that make as much sense as that guy.

I read his biography 'My Shit Life so Far'.

I like the fact than in New World Order the writers are credited. It would have looked very odd if we were meant to believe that 1 guy is producing 8 hours of new material each year.

Yep - his delivery is unique and although people think he goes over the line... don't we all when we are laughing with mates? WE all know that it's between us and anything tasteless is purely for those that know us well. It's just how the back and forth of having a laugh works.

I like to think his choice of material is what will make the audience laugh and if you weren't there, you don't have the context. I think that's why people can just read a quote and make presumptions that he's some kind of dangerous lunatic.
I ask out of curiosity, "what's wrong with being a dangerous lunatic?" (3 bouts of being sectioned for potential violent retribution, or as psychiatric services put it, 'threatening to do a John Wick'! 😁)

And for those who don't know him, I enclose a recent picture of FAB as he decides if he should bun your house down... or write a book about why people burn other people's houses down (clue - it's not cheese).

As I said, I'm just glad your finger didn't slip a key to right, as I have no idea how one would 'Bum down the house' ! 🤣