European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Regional accents

fastandbulbous

Bluelight Crew
I am a fan of NCIS (original one), but for fuck's sake, I wish they'd get a decent language coach for British accents. I have just watched an American actor flailing around, trying to do a geordie accent. It's generally seen as one of the hardest accents to impersonate (can't watch 'Vera' as it makes me feel ill). We may get American dialects horribly wrong, but the episode I just watched just drifted between geordie, Welsh, something a bit like a Pakistani accent and one I have no fucking idea it was trying for.
It is possible (Inspector George Gently is a real 'back to being a kid' sort of job), but fuck, Dick van Dyke sounds utterly authentic compared to what I've just watched.

Americans at least the ones my teen daughter watches on screen think there is a generic British accent , à la Hermione in Harry Potter movies and conflate English with British.

Haaa!! Try having to listen to ANY American try to do an Irish accent, it’s pathetic!
An Ian Paisley rant is much, much easier than say someone with a laid back, south of the border accent,(although it took me 2 days before I could understand a lad from Tralee!! 😆)

I will say, when I went to see a schoolfriend, who came to check I was OK, days after my wife's death, had a friend from where he lives now (St Albans), lean over and say, "Martin, I can't understand a fucking word your mate is saying!"

I am a fan of NCIS (original one), but for fuck's sake, I wish they'd get a decent language coach for British accents. I have just watched an American actor flailing around, trying to do a geordie accent. It's generally seen as one of the hardest accents to impersonate (can't watch 'Vera' as it makes me feel ill). We may get American dialects horribly wrong, but the episode I just watched just drifted between geordie, Welsh, something a bit like a Pakistani accent and one I have no fucking idea it was trying for.
It is possible (Inspector George Gently is a real 'back to being a kid' sort of job), but fuck, Dick van Dyke sounds utterly authentic compared to what I've just watched.

As a Geordie (oops, didn't really wanna give away my location that much, but I've mentioned both north east england and a coastal town on here lol) NO American has EVER come CLOSE. The only movie I can think of that was accurate is Billy Elliot and thee cast were all from around here.

Actually, all Americans do that same, really posh, Queens English accent think that only like 0.00001% of people actually sound anything like.
Like it also bugs me when they say "The British Accent"...like Britain consists of 3 countries and dozens and dozens of extremely different regional accents/dialects. I'd say we have a much greater range of accents than the U.S. does....and if I can very clearly tell the difference between accents from say New York, Louisiana, California, Minnesota etc it shouldn't be THAT hard for them to recognise SOME different accents.

^Actually, Cecily Strong from SNL is pretty good....like here with Emily Blunt (Emily is actually British btw): [she's the one with Emily Blunt, the "the first time ever team of two"...the rest are all appalling]

And her Gemma is decent:

Seen her do a few accents inc. Irish (I know Ireland isn't technically in the UK) but can't remember where

^well, she's not GREAT, but like...good for an American. Like, she sounds like she's at least listened to actual accents and TRIED

Only a guess, but the 'costal town' I'd guess Seaham (birthplace of 'mad, bad and dangerous to know' lord Byron), or Hartlepool where they hang monkeys as French spies?
Both full of batshit crazy people 😆

Seahouses has some loons, as well!

The capital of loons though, is Consett - far too much lead dissolved in the ground water, as well as not enough oxygen, due to being way up the Pennines (4 months a year of being snowed in, probably doesn't help 🤣)

Last edited:
Haaa!! Try having to listen to ANY American try to do an Irish accent, it’s pathetic!
Liam Cunningham who is Irish, does a GREAT Geordie accent in Game of Thrones. Little bit out of the blue, like I wonder why he thought Geordie was more appropriate for GoT? Still brilliant.

I despised Ian paisley, obviously, so the accent drives me nuts. Like nails on a chalkboard which actually I would prefer over that mess. 🙃

Last edited:
Love a geordie accent got family around newcastle durham great people and on girls it turns me right on sometimes listen to vicky pattison podcast gives me a hardon

You're all scum unless you speak with received pronunciation like wot I does innit.
Tawk Propaa. Like Wot I Dooo!!

I used to be good at doing various accents. While at Uni in Sunderland for a spell, I got the accent down to a tee, and could tell the big difference between a Sunderland and Newcastle accent. Something I can no longer do, although not living up there any more it's harder to hear both accents in close succession to make the comparison.

I've still got a pretty good ear for placing people by their accents, although my mimicry is less good than it used to be, although it's a lot about practice. My favoutite accent to impersonate Is Fu-cking Swan-zee Like. Aanyone seen the fffilm fu-cking Twin Towwn with Fucking Rhys Ifans? A fucking good film and some fucking good accents. I can't figure out how to type proper with a Swansea accent though, although in my mind the last few sentences were ringing out with the accent.

Or whats her name, the (south) wales girl from Gavin and Stacey with Uncle Glyn (Rob Bryden) too.

There must be a wayyy of dooin it, it's just a matta of figurringgg it owt init?

I used to be good at doing various accents. While at Uni in Sunderland for a spell, I got the accent down to a tee, and could tell the big difference between a Sunderland and Newcastle accent. Something I can no longer do, although not living up there any more it's harder to hear both accents in close succession to make the comparison.

I've still got a pretty good ear for placing people by their accents, although my mimicry is less good than it used to be, although it's a lot about practice. My favoutite accent to impersonate Is Fu-cking Swan-zee Like. Aanyone seen the fffilm fu-cking Twin Towwn with Fucking Rhys Ifans? A fucking good film and some fucking good accents. I can't figure out how to type proper with a Swansea accent though, although in my mind the last few sentences were ringing out with the accent.

Or whats her name, the (south) wales girl from Gavin and Stacey with Uncle Glyn (Rob Bryden) too.

There must be a wayyy of dooin it, it's just a matta of figurringgg it owt init?

Man, the Welsh accent is a proper cunt to impersonate.

When I try it, I end up sounding like Apu from the Simpsons...

For fuck sake, my ex used to say she graduated from Sunderland uni. My response was "get over yourself woman, it's a poly". It was a polytechnic when I got my degree and still was when I got my masters.
Sunderland empire was the only venue in England to have tickets left for Frankie Boyle's tour. Why, because it's a shithole. All mackems are mad bastards (the other members of the band I was in were mackems , so I speak from experience! 🤣)