Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Recommend YET MORE movies per post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goon

OK I just finished watching this. It's been thought-provoking but I need to go to bed soon so I'll try to keep this short.

It's fairly well crafted.

It has no complexity at all. But maybe this is fine. Why should all films be complex? I've watched films that I just don't understand because they use devices which I'm unfamiliar with or are just plain beyond me. I like to be challenged though. I'm sure there are many people who do not. That's fine. This film is about a guy who isn't that sharp, and I think it caters for a viewer who isn't that sharp. I don't see any problem with that.

What I did not like about it is the notion that if you're not clever, that's OK, you can be violent and that can be your glory. This is what stuck in my craw. It glorifies violence and sells it to the less intelligent as if it's their chance in life. I think that stinks!

I approached the film wanting to give it a chance, given the build up on here. I thought that was only fair. And while it didn't grab me much during the first half I was thinking I could understand its appeal. So I was preparing to come on here and give it a positive report based on the technicalities. But the underlying message fucked that up for me and, instead, made me hate it!

EDIT Looking back at Shambles' comments, it seems we're in full agreement.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with any of that ... but as they're films about the lives of (real) & famously violent men, it's a much better comparison than to a fantasy based type revenge movie. which is like chalk n cheese to goon

It's not really a film about the real life of a guy. The only comparison to the guy who shows up at the end's real life is that he was a hockey player who mainly just fought with other players as oppose to skating. There was more than one old school hockey player who did that (see Philly Flyers/Broad Street Bullies). The girlfriend, the gay brother, the disappointed parents etc - They never existed. The only part of this "true story" that is true is a guy had skates on & punched people. Hardly a bio-pic.

This is not a film about the life of a (real) & famously violent man. It's a pisstake of the stereotypical hockey "goon", and not a very good one. They then throw in some real footage of a "goon" & a brief interview to make it look like SWS's goon is supposed to be this guy & add some air of credibility to it.

I can't believe MSB is going basically as "OK, it was shite but the realism of the violence made it good" etc. The realism? The standing there taking 15 rapid straight to the head unflinching while looking at the coach waiting for him to tell him to hit back? Then once he gets the nod, it's boof-boof-boof-boof... 15 rapid back. Fakest violence ever, except for the blood & the scarred up faces afterwards (which also seemed to have literally no consequence).

It wasn't total shite, I was stoned & it did make laugh once or twice so it doesn't quite get a 0/10, I'd probably give it a generous 4/10.

made it to the half way point in goon and i'm turning it off, pretty much waterboy on ice but much less funny. poo. smelly poo with worms in it.

Aye, was thinking the same myself. "Shite at the sport, hits hard as fuck" lets laugh at his inability to actually play the sport but his great ability to smash his head off things like a spazzy. Same film really.

Goon

OK I just finished watching this. It's been thought-provoking but I need to go to bed soon so I'll try to keep this short.

It's fairly well crafted.

It has no complexity at all. But maybe this is fine. Why should all films be complex? I've watched films that I just don't understand because they use devices which I'm unfamiliar with or are just plain beyond me. I like to be challenged though. I'm sure there are many people who do not. That's fine. This film is about a guy who isn't that sharp, and I think it caters for a viewer who isn't that sharp. I don't see any problem with that.

What I did not like about it is the notion that if you're not clever, that's OK, you can be violent and that can be your glory. This is what stuck in my craw. It glorifies violence and sells it to the less intelligent as if it's their chance in life. I think that stinks!

I approached the film wanting to give it a chance, given the build up on here. I thought that was only fair. And while it didn't grab me much during the first half I was thinking I could understand its appeal. So I was preparing to come on here and give it a positive report based on the technicalities. But the underlying message fucked that up for me and, instead, made me hate it!

EDIT Looking back at Shambles' comments, it seems we're in full agreement.

I really didn't get this message that everyone else seems to, that the way out of poverty or whatever for stupid people is to fight for the masses. It just seemed very particular to that one guy really. I don't think many simpletons are going to watch the film and think "sweet I can go be a goon for a hockey team" lol. That guy though was born to punch people out and seemed to enjoy protecting his chosen protectees. I kept thinking this is a bit exploitationish, but then I thought wait a minute i'm just being condescending, he's a fully grown adult and that's definitely what he wants to do in life. Don't get me wrong I agree the film was very very basic, and 99/100 i'm not really into "popcorn films" or whatever you want to call them, but this one just clicked with me. I think adding layers or complexity to it would have been ultimately futile. It probably helped that i'd dumbed myself down to the level of an infant with bag after bag of vaped weed and loads of blues though =D

It's not really a film about the real life of a guy. The only comparison to the guy who shows up at the end's real life is that he was a hockey player who mainly just fought with other players as oppose to skating. There was more than one old school hockey player who did that (see Philly Flyers/Broad Street Bullies). The girlfriend, the gay brother, the disappointed parents etc - They never existed. The only part of this "true story" that is true is a guy had skates on & punched people. Hardly a bio-pic.

This is not a film about the life of a (real) & famously violent man. It's a pisstake of the stereotypical hockey "goon", and not a very good one. They then throw in some real footage of a "goon" & a brief interview to make it look like SWS's goon is supposed to be this guy & add some air of credibility to it.

I can't believe MSB is going basically as "OK, it was shite but the realism of the violence made it good" etc. The realism? The standing there taking 15 rapid straight to the head unflinching while looking at the coach waiting for him to tell him to hit back? Then once he gets the nod, it's boof-boof-boof-boof... 15 rapid back. Fakest violence ever, except for the blood & the scarred up faces afterwards (which also seemed to have literally no consequence).

It wasn't total shite, I was stoned & it did make laugh once or twice so it doesn't quite get a 0/10, I'd probably give it a generous 4/10.

Aye, was thinking the same myself. "Shite at the sport, hits hard as fuck" lets laugh at his inability to actually play the sport but his great ability to smash his head off things like a spazzy. Same film really.

The realism, as in when a punch is thrown you feel it in both directions. Not as in yeah there are shit loads of people who could take that many hits to the head without being cabbaged! At the end I was thinking, he's already got a cut face, one hit to that and it's going to just explode and it'll all be over for him. I think I just overrated it because I was expecting it to be absolutely terrible, and I gave it a chance, and I was very pleasantly surprised that it made me laugh in a stoner way a few times. I did also enjoy the stupidity of the violence, which made me feel it through sheer over egging. The humour in waterboy is way way simpler (and crude) and much less subtle. The retardedness of the protagonist is also much more offensive and poorly done, which I guess is down to Adam Sandler. I'd give an adam sandler film a chance if you told me it was funny, but i'd be equally as dubious as you were about this. The guy sucks ass, I don't even know why he has a career.

And if you're interested here's the first hockey fight I found on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-25s4uwFQ

In the first fight I count 17 hits on one guy and like 6 on the other. Then in the next few rucks they are basically just holding on to each other and swinging at each others faces repeatedly... I am actually quite suprised by the number of hits.

Last edited:
You don't feel it being thrown after a while when a guy is literally staring at the coach as a fist bounces off his dome repeatedly. It just becomes slapstick with blood.

Yeah after the 3rd or 4th punch it just becomes funny. But if you look at that hockey fight, I am surprised by how many hits are thrown and taken. I think I need to get into watching ice hockey, the only problem I have with it is that I can never seem to keep an eye on the puck. These real fights are wicked haha. I do feel a bit worried when they fall backward onto the ice with no helmet though 8( I wondered why hockey fans liked Goon, so I guess it must actually be a bit realistic.

I think i'd be bang into my football if they allowed them to just randomly fight! That's just about the only thing that could make it good.

Shittttt: here's a goon style fight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui1LhEqqnC8&feature=related

There's at least 20 a piece there.

Last edited:
Most of these guys are punching bags as opposed to punchers. If that makes sense.

I watched some real hockey fights after watching Goon & I suppose the boxing in the film is real to a certain extent in that two utter morons just stand there & go punch for punch with each other until one backs/falls down. All it takes is a cunt who knows how to bob & weave just slightly & it's over in one hit. I think it was the second clip in the link you posted, maybe the 3rd, where this is quite apparent - cunt just dodges then lands one on the chin & the other boy is out instead of standing there going "ME PUNCH YOU IN HEAD YOU PUNCH ME IN HEAD - GO!".

Fucking meatheads. It only exists in NHL to keep fans (& therefore sponsors) interested in the sport. As far as I know it's only the NHL where you aren't sent off for the rest of the game (at least) as soon as you start fighting. You won't see any of that in Olympic ice hockey etc (unless it's a one off moment of madness & cunts get 10 game bans etc, certainly not the calculated "Time to fight now?" that happens in NHL).

Sounds from the few reviews that you guys gave it just then that you have to be stoned to even slightly enjoy the film, since I don't smoke I definitely won't be watching it.

I'm considering watching "Mystery Alaska" later, apparently it is an ok sport comedy with Russel Crowe, has anyone else seen it??

Yeah I thought it was just in the minor leagues where no one would watch because they're so shit at the actual sport. I still think it definitely needs to become a mandatory part of all sports. At the end of Wimbledon Federer and Nadal duke it out, Nadal with his giant arm just ploughing it into Federers pretty boy French swiss face over and over again. Now that would be a sporting event and a half.

Sounds from the few reviews that you guys gave it just then that you have to be stoned to even slightly enjoy the film, since I don't smoke I definitely won't be watching it.

I'm considering watching "Mystery Alaska" later, apparently it is an ok sport comedy with Russel Crowe, has anyone else seen it??

Never seen it mate. What sort of film are you in the mood for? Does it have to be sporting? Or do you want an action/suspense/thriller/comedy etc.?

I watched "The Express" yesterday, an american football true story film and Mystery Alaska was recommended to watch by netflix so think I might give it a go, I genuinely like most Russel Crowe films, hopefully it will good, it got about 4/5 on netflix.

I watched "The Express" yesterday, an american football true story film and Mystery Alaska was recommended to watch by netflix so think I might give it a go, I genuinely like most Russel Crowe films, hopefully it will good, it got about 4/5 on netflix.

Have you seen the insider? That film is really engrossing and has Crowe in it. It's not a sports film, more of a biopic again. That, and obviously a Beautiful Mind.

Yeah, I really liked The Insider actually, saw it a couple months ago on Film 4, it took a while to get going but was a really good film.
A Beautiful Mind is one of my top 5 films too, seen it many times. IMDB doesn't really rate Mystery Alaska, but I don't really have anything better to do.

Am off to watch Prometheus tonight, have been trying to steer clear of any spoilers and have been successful so far, have been looking forward to it as the trailer seemed to make it look slightly similar to Stargate in mixing ancient earth history and sci fi.

Yeah, I really liked The Insider actually, saw it a couple months ago on Film 4, it took a while to get going but was a really good film.
A Beautiful Mind is one of my top 5 films too, seen it many times. IMDB doesn't really rate Mystery Alaska, but I don't really have anything better to do.

Am off to watch Prometheus tonight, have been trying to steer clear of any spoilers and have been successful so far, have been looking forward to it as the trailer seemed to make it look slightly similar to Stargate in mixing ancient earth history and sci fi.

3:10 to Yuma? I haven't seen it yet, but i'll watch it later because i've heard it's good, but "Romper Stomper"?

I didn't really like 3:10 to Yuma, not really a fan of Westerns, it was watchable but not the most entertaining film. I almost started watching Romper Stomper the other day, it's an australian film right? about street gangs out there?

I didn't really like 3:10 to Yuma, not really a fan of Westerns, it was watchable but not the most entertaining film. I almost started watching Romper Stomper the other day, it's an australian film right? about street gangs out there?

Yeah I think it's about gangs and neo nazis and shit. Seems like a bit of a winner. It was the film that launched Crowes career I think too.

Am liking the way that despite being a tawdry little turd of a film Goon has generated so much in the way of discussion. There's been a bazillion truly ourstanding films recommended in this thread over the years not a single one of which has had so much debate and even - dare I say - thoughtful critique teased out from a bunch o' druggy cunt armchair critics. This is most definitely a Good Thing. Bodes very well for the proposed communal viewing film club idea if it ever gets off the ground dontcha think? :)

In other film thread news, had a looksee back over the last coupla pages and will be purchasing several of the recommendations. Looks like it's gonna be a French Fillum Fest @ Chez Sham this week. Bon bon :)

PS: Romper Stomper is a top film. And another fine example of how to portray properly brutal violence in the right way. Definitely recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.