Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Recommend a Documentary v. David Attenborough!

i saw a captivating doco last night called 'meru'
it follows 3 climbers in their quest to scale one of the most technical and complex ascents in the world.

very interesting to see people who are obsessed with their passion, which seems to involve overcoming fear as well.

Thanks for reminding me about this, I watched the trailer some time ago and it really caught my eye.

I just finished watching it.. absolutely incredible. There must be a certain level of peace and humbleness up there, just them, the mountain and the climb. Much respect for those committed and obsessed with their passion that they will take it to it's absolute limits.

Gangland undercover - about a guy who got caught cooking meth and agreed to go undercover for the FBI into a biker gang. Very good watch there's 6 episodes.

Weed country - about growers in the Emerald Triangle in Northern California. Also very good watch.

Ultimate survival Alaska. 3 seasons so far which I have very much enjoyed - these guys are crazy.

"Touching the Void" trailer looks alright.

The trailer pales in comparison to the movie, one of the most incredible real life journeys of survival I've seen. I'm amazed he was able to do what he did.. under those circumstances.

Yeah. I just hate paying that $2.99. ...Cause docs. are in a way a toss up. I've seen docs. that looked fantastic but turned out to be duds. :p

Ever since watching 'Meru' I've become obsessed with mountaineering documentaries, I've watched a few over the last couple of days.. (Meru, Touching the Void, The Summit and The Wildest Dream). Can anyone recommend any other's that might be worth watching?

i enjoyed touching the void, it felt kind of lacking to me in some aspects though in regards to it being a re-enactment with interviews.

i recommend 'word wars'

wordwars_cover.jpg

Just as Spellbound made the spelling bee cool, Word Wars lifts the invisible world of championship Scrabble into the spotlight. But rather than cute kids, the champs of Scrabble are lone guys without jobs or relationships. They are misfits who neurotically memorize words, and word orders. Their competition is less the joy of winning and more a compulsion. The joy of this film, then, is less the drama of who will win, and more the pleasures of following an odd obsession to see where it takes us. We go deep into a subculture, one of many hidden from the mainstream, and discover strange guys who find the meaning of life in the order of words.

Tired of filming pros next to their infinity pools in Los Angeles, we need to branch out and get some skaters from other lands. I wanted to not only find out out about the skaters themselves, but find out who some of the people that influenced them were, what the scene was like in their country. So we hopped on a long flight to Sydney Australia and caught up with rising star Chima Ferguson. We spent a week with his brother and his mates, learning what we could. In part 2 we caught up with him back in Los Angeles, where he lives with Dustin Dollin. They were working hard on the Vans video at the time of shooting.

Apologies if this has already been posted, I vaguely remember something similar been posted a while back but I'm not sure if it was this specific documentary. I'm personally not into mobile-living but I find the perspectives these people hold with regards to frugality, simple living, freedom and quality of life very interesting.

"Without Bound, a documentary featuring perspectives on mobile living from a group of fascinating folks who live fulfilling, sustainable, off-grid lives in vans, travel trailers and motorhomes..."

Hope you all enjoy this as much as I did... I think you will. Share it with your friends :)
Each part is about 90 minutes.

HUMAN is a collection of stories about and images of our world, offering an immersion to the core of what it means to be human. Through these stories full of love and happiness, as well as hatred and violence, HUMAN brings us face to face with the Other, making us reflect on our lives. From stories of everyday experiences to accounts of the most unbelievable lives, these poignant encounters share a rare sincerity and underline who we are – our darker side, but also what is most noble in us, and what is universal. Our Earth is shown at its most sublime through never-before-seen aerial images accompanied by soaring music, resulting in an ode to the beauty of the world, providing a moment to draw breath and for introspection.

HUMAN is a politically engaged work which allows us to embrace the human condition and to reflect on the meaning of our existence.

[video=youtube_share;vdb4XGVTHkE]http://youtu.be/vdb4XGVTHkE[/video]
[video=youtube_share;ShttAt5xtto]http://youtu.be/ShttAt5xtto[/video]

[video=youtube_share;w0653vsLSqE]http://youtu.be/w0653vsLSqE[/video]

Just finished watching 'Cartel Land'.

"A physician in Michoacán, Mexico leads a citizen uprising against the drug cartel that has wreaked havoc on the region for years. Across the U.S. border, a veteran heads a paramilitary group working to prevent Mexico's drug wars from entering U.S. territory."

The documentary is very well-made, there's some intense scenes that I'm surprised the film-makers had the balls to be involved with. The focus is primarily on the lives of the people effected and their stories, it doesn't cover the politics or explore the more complex issues with what's going on which is what I was hoping for.. but rather it lays it all out at face-value and collects different perspectives from vigilante groups on the situation.

background-twitter.jpg

Between The Folds (2008 )
Depicts a cast of fine artists and eccentric scientists (from MIT and NASA) who have devoted their lives to the unlikely medium of modern origami.

[starts at 1:50]

Between The Folds (2008 )
Depicts a cast of fine artists and eccentric scientists (from MIT and NASA) who have devoted their lives to the unlikely medium of modern origami.
that is an excellent documentary. the spectrum of techniques - from the simplicity of 'one fold' to the huge number of folds in some of the more complex pieces - is incredible.

alasdair

everything is a remix
a documentary on the history and cultural significance of sampling and collaborative creation.
reminds me of adam curtis' style in a sense that there are these connections made which are far reaching and diverse. i had come across this doco many times before and always kind of disregarded it as being mainly about music, but i watched it today and it is really exciting as it examines things i consider important about life and society/culture.

the documentarian is kirby ferguson who is working on a project called "this is not a conspiracy theory" 'An investigation into the forces that shape us.', it looks fascinating but can't shell out 20$ or whatever he is asking.

this is episode 1

Last edited:
that is an excellent documentary. the spectrum of techniques - from the simplicity of 'one fold' to the huge number of folds in some of the more complex pieces - is incredible.

alasdair

yeh i find some really quality docos through 'kevin kelly' who is the founding executive editor of wired magazine.

on his site 'true films'

from the podcasts ive listened with him in them he has led a very interesting life.