Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Recommend a Documentary v. David Attenborough!

@bardeaux

i think he did the documentary 'downloaded' as well, which was about napster, sean parker, how it got shut down and what it was about.

^Interesting, I don't think I've seen that one.

The Day the 60s Died (2015)

An outline of the revolutionary (and very active) anti-war scene in Kent, Ohio - of course, leading up to the Kent State massacre by the National Guard in 1970. It's a PBS doc, which I found very fair and educational, even after doing so much research and digging around the topic over the years. It contains eyewitness accounts, not only from the demonstrators as we're all used to seeing, but also from the other side, from National Guardsmen who were there during the shooting. It really does paint a more multi-dimensional picture of the context of what happened that day, the events leading up to it and the aftermath it created.

For those of you interested in Ross Ulbricht/The Silk Road case. A very legitimate film, featuring interviews from Ulbricht's family, friends, fellow SR users etc.

I hope these opportunists who are making $ of this guy are decent enough to share some with his family.

I am surprised Oliver Stone isn't the one making a movie about him, suppose he was too busy exploiting Snowden.

^It was actually directed by Alex Winter (Bill) and narrated by Keanu Reeves (Ted) of all people :p

I'm not really familiar with the logistics of the film, but it feels like the family was very involved with its production.

^Yea, I am familiar with Winter. There is supposed to be a movie in the works about Ulbricht..

Author Dennis Lehane has been hired to pen the script about alleged Silk Road founder

someone associated with the NYT is writing a book.

Oliver Stone definitely did some good films, although its been a while imo.

'downloaded' was decent...

Last edited:

amazing yet short personal insight into the serbian/russian/yugoslav lifestyle during war and the looming communist era.

...kytnism...:|

I'm half-way through watching "The Century of Self" a four part BBC mini series from 2002 detailing the rise of psychoanalysis as a means of persuasion for governments and corporations based on work from Sigmund Freud and his nephew Edward Bernays who effectively invented public relations during the 1920's. There's a reason western culture is the way it is today..

It has to be one of the most fascinating documentaries I've watched in a long time.

@malakaix

ya the person who did the documentary is called 'adam curtis' ive watched everything he has created, i regard him as a genius in the field of documentary making

my favourite work that he has done is called "the power of nightmares" which goes into some detail on the usa/iraq conflict. i love that he uses atmospheric ambient music like brian eno and burial to soundtrack his archive footage and commentary which seam together beautifully. i think its worth seeing all his stuff.

i have to admit that watching a lot of his work in a short space of time can be incredibly depressing and doom-inducing. but he is a true artist imo

@Mysterie

I have to agree, this man is phenomenal with documentary production.. i just watched that trailer and it's already hooked me. I've been reading around and everyone has very high praise for Adam Curtis, i think i'm going to seek out everything he's made and check it out. Thanks!

91MfWIMuKgL._SY679_.jpg

Highly recommended. On the surface, it's about longtime friends Sam Shepard and Johnny Dark sorting through their many letters to each other for a book. Underneath, it's about a close friendship that blossomed despite and because of their many differences; it's also about a close friendship that's drifted apart, probably permanently. Johnny Dark, pothead and hermit, is very much an archivist, keeping all of the letters and photographs the two have shared over their adult lives (they were related by marriage for several years). Sam Shepard, drinker and wanderer, is going through the material for the first time. Though they share a deep history, they struggle to properly reconnect as they work on this project, particularly Shepard, who does not like sifting through the past nearly as much as Dark. It's a very low-key, conversational documentary, basically hanging out with the two of them as they sort through their letters and reminisce about the years when they were very close. It's also quite sad in a way that only non-fiction can be, capturing how age and experience can cause people to drift away from each other; they will always share a deep affection for the other, but also seem aware that they can probably never regain the closeness of their peak years.

Last edited:
@^ i think u put your vid link into img tags ey

pulling john (2009)
Brzenk, the greatest arm wrestler of all-time is contemplating retirement. The film follows Brzenk for 4 years as he competes and keeps tabs on two champions as they climb their way to the top.

a truly brilliant documentary, some amazing characters in the story, greatly exceeded my expectations. it has the mysterie guarantee!
kind of reminded me of kings of kong

I'm really enjoying Oliver Stones "Untold History of America". Some great insight. He must have plundered the worlds archives for this footage. The bibliograhy is genuinely exciting for me. :)

51YP%2BjVnd8L.jpg

Watch as General Idi Amin Dada, one of the 20th century's most notorious and brutal dictators, reveals himself to be a preening narcissist. Barbet Schroeder (director of More and The Valley (Obscured By Clouds) lets Amin take control of the documentary and repeatedly make an ass out of himself in front of everybody. Naturally, Amin is not in on the joke. The surface of this documentary is a little boring, since it's mostly Amin talking at length to the camera, but the subtext is extremely fascinating. Everything depicted here - the cabinet meetings, the parties, the military exercises - were staged by Amin for the documentary, and it shows. Everybody else stares right at the camera while all this is going on, because everyone else realizes what a joke all of this is - they just don't say anything given Amin's penchant for executions. The "cabinet meeting" is especially hilarious; Amin rambles incoherently while the ministers fake taking notes and pick their noses with their pens. One minister even gives the camera a look that implies that he would welcome an execution if it meant getting out of this stupid, pointless meeting. Perhaps the most baffling part is that Amin truly believes that this film will help establish himself as an important world leader, all the while unaware of what a buffoon he really is. I love the part when, on a boat trip down the Nile, he waves at the hippos and crocodiles like they're his friends or something. Yet though he is a clown, he was also an extremely dangerous one - the documentary ends with a long scene of him meeting with a group of doctors who are all obviously much smarter than him, and the murderous nervousness in his eyes is truly terrifying.

And the big belly laugh is real. Very real.