Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Recommend a Documentary v. David Attenborough!

Just finished watching 'Cartel Land'.

"A physician in Michoacán, Mexico leads a citizen uprising against the drug cartel that has wreaked havoc on the region for years. Across the U.S. border, a veteran heads a paramilitary group working to prevent Mexico's drug wars from entering U.S. territory."

The documentary is very well-made, there's some intense scenes that I'm surprised the film-makers had the balls to be involved with. The focus is primarily on the lives of the people effected and their stories, it doesn't cover the politics or explore the more complex issues with what's going on which is what I was hoping for.. but rather it lays it all out at face-value and collects different perspectives from vigilante groups on the situation.

background-twitter.jpg

The scenes of beheading's and hangings were enough for me to stop watching. It's shocking people actually live in environment where such things are allowed to continue and are seemingly revered by a large number of people. Some of these savages make your stereotypical mid-eastern terrorist look like an honorable gentleman. Perhaps the U.S should consider invading the country.

I am watching the documentary The Four Horseman at the moment but I have no idea if this is one of those conspiracy theory docs. It's free on youtube..

The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz

Was posted a while ago, but I highly recommend this documentary. It was incredible to see someone so smart and so interested in making the world a better place. So sad that he died so young and over something that was so overblown and unnecessary.

If you ever saw 1996's Island of Dr. Moreau and wondered how a movie that bad could get made then I suggest Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau.

facsinating doco, pretty heavy stuff that i didn't know about some dirty dirty business nixon and kissinger got up to behind the publics backs. great to see christopher hitchens in lots of interviews because the doco is related to the book he wrote of the same title i think.

I remember trying to make it through the Kissinger documentary they have on netflix. Once they started to play the "secret" phone conversations between him and Nixon I started to feel a little squeamish. It kind of sounded like Tricky Dick wanted to engage in some gay phone sex.

I apologise if this was already posted, but I'm not skimming 38 pages. The Other One, the Bob Weir documentary. Very good at explaining things. The NetFlix documentary on DMT was also pretty cool as well.

noticed this on amazon prime- I got through the first 30 mins -

Documentary Synopsis said:
Humanity seems to be stuck in the perpetual now that is our networked world. More countries are witnessing people taking to the streets in search of answers. Revolution of the Present, the film, features interviews with thought leaders designed to give meaning to our present and precarious condition. This historic journey allows us to us re-think our presumptions and narratives about the individual and society, the local and global, our politics and technology.

This documentary analyzes why the opportunity to augment the scope of human action has become so atomized and diminished. Revolution of the Present is an invitation to join the conversation and help contribute to our collective understanding.

As Saskia Sassen, the renowned sociologist, states at the outset of the film, 'we live in a time of unsettlement, so much so that we are even questioning the notion of the global, which is healthy.' One could say that our film raises more questions than it answers, but this is our goal. Asking the right questions and going back to beginnings may be the very thing we need to do to understand the present, and to move forward from it with a healthy skepticism.

Revolution of the Present is structured as an engaging dinner conversation, there is no narrator telling you what to think, it is not a film of fear of the end time or accusation, it is an invitation to sit at the table and join an in depth conversation about our diverse and plural world.

Had a chance to watch this recently. I'm quite obsessed with mountaineering documentaries, and all the ones I've watched have been from the perspective of the western climber setting out to achieve their own personal goal and ambition. So this was quite interesting that it showed it from the perspective of the Sherpa's that aid westerners in climbing Everest annually each year, the economic benefit of this kind of tourism, the danger and lack of acknowledgement for these people's efforts.

it's a multi-part show but it is a documentary: All or Nothing: A Season with the Arizona Cardinals

"For the first time in history, Amazon and NFL Films present an unprecedented inside look at the lives of players, coaches and owners of a franchise over the course of an entire NFL season. Witness the real life, behind the scenes journey on the field, off the field, and everything in between."

if you don't like football, i doubt you'd enjoy it but they picked a great team and a stellar season for this.

alasdair

"the world's scariest drug" - really good documentary on youtube about a strange and powerful drug called Scopolamine, also known as "The Devil's Breath."