View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics and St. John's Wort

S1ngularity

Bluelighter
Has anyone ever tried ingesting psilocybin along with St. John's Wort? Is it safe, and does it enhance the trip in any way? Can it increase or decrease probablilty for a bad trip at all? Also, what dosage did you use? Thanks.

i would take it before you trip this way you can be in a good mood when you are ready for a trip. being in a positive state of mind before tripping is always good

werd. Do you know if it will potentiate the trip in the same way syrian rue and other MAOIs would?

St Johns wort is a really weak MAOI, so I don't think it would potentiate it via that mechanism.

What about Passion Flower, has anyone had success in using that with psilocybin?

Passion flower has very low levels of harmala/harmaline. Think ingesting a lb to feel an keen effect of it. Also, one of the chemicals in passion flower metabolizes into cyanide, so it is a bit poisonous. (something like cyanogen....)

Yeah, I heard its pretty weak. I still want to try it for myself though. The dude that wrote this trip report had some sucess aparently. Also, Passion Flower has relaxing properties, so it sounds like a good idea to reduce trip anxiety.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=5423

What I am trying to figure out, is how many mg of extract is equel to his 12 oz.

As i mentioned in another thread, there are well over 400 species of passionflower. Many of them are very, very hard to tell apart. Alkaloid content no doubt varies wildly among species.

Indeed, and there is no way we can tell what the content of your extract is, so we can't compare it because of that aswell.

Ok. Has anybody mixed psilocybin with passion flower extracts purchased from a store? If so, what brand name was it?

Potentiation of mushrooms with St. John's wort?

My question is simple. How viable would it be to take St. John's wort for its MAOI properties to potentiate magic mushrooms, or any tryptamines?

Saint John's Wort

just wondering if it has any effect on Psychedelics? because i wonna start taking but i still wonna be able to trip!=D

Well, St John's Wort is a natural MAO Inhibitor (MonoAmineOxidase Inhibitor). Dodgy to take with stuff like MDMA, due to the possibility of Serotonin Syndrome (very nasty).

However you asked about psychedelics, so if you're meaning psilocybin, LSD & etc, then it may well potentiate the trip beyond what you might be comfortable with.

Watch out 8o

Not only do MAOis potenate psychedelics, they change the character of the trip from what I've heard.

I think St Johns Wort is a pretty weak MAOi though, I know I used to take it and also consume LSD....that said, any herb that has such broad effects in the brain should be treated with caution.

^+1. I dont know the specifics of st johns wort's mechanism of action myself, but I believe it inhibits quite a few things, dopamine, serotonin, noradrenaline, gaba, and possibly others. So yes, please be careful when using it in combination with other drugs.

i wanted to use this herb to bring mdma's magic back, but i still wanted to trip in between, but i'l use it another time wonna get more into tripping before i do

^It seems to have some dangers when used with psychedelics- at least according to wiki. Take that as you will though..... I dunno, St Johns Wort is quite ineffective IMO and quite messy pharmacologically.

but then again i'm only willing to take it for 15 days, but i read some reports of someone doing this experiment and his experiences with mushrooms changed