• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics and St. John's Wort

I don't notice a different character from psychedelics when I take maoi's with them. LSDreamer, where did you get this idea? Do you have anything to base this on or is this just rumors?

^Well, it depends what MAOi- the harmala akloids are psychedelic in there own right- I don't know all that much about pharmaceautical MAOi's, but as they increase the levels of neurotransmitters in the brain, one would think the experience would be more 'intense' at least....

But LSDreamer is correct; MAOi's change the nature of a trip, either by doing what they do, or by having psychedelic properties themselves.

LSD and st johns wort safe?

Got a festival coming up here(Eeyore's Birthday Party).

I've been taking St John's Wort for about 3 weeks, is it safe to take LSD or mushrooms while taking this?

Can this cause serotonin syndrome? it's also a slight MAOI too...

Well, St. Johns Wort is a reversible MAOI, so wait a few days after stopping using it to trip on LSD. Mush will be no problem.

How much hypericine and hyperforine should be take?

I just got a few yesterday but they are capsules with 5 different tabs in it mixed with vitmins
it contains:
L tryptophan 250mh lol, L Tyrosine 10mg, l-Fenylalanine 19mg lol, Vitam PP 9mg, Vitam B6 2mg, Magnesium 90mg + 7mg ipericum extract of witch 21 mcg of hypercine? nothing written about Hyperforin.

It this a ripoff?

Also i never read a page listing the doses for Hyperforin which is the TRUE andtidepressant in the plant (Potent reuptake inhibitor)

Can i take a low dose of LSD (have taken 600mg of st johns wort)

Well my topic pretty much sais it. Is it safe? Heard there is a risk of serotonin syndrome if these are combined but im just planning on taking 1/4 hit.

:)

the risk of serotonin syndrome is higher with MAOI + SSRI or MAOI + PEA than with MAOI + tryptamine. i have heard reports of people combining LSA or LSD with peganum harmala (syrian rue) for increased effect with little trouble, but I'm not sure about st. john's wort, and LSD is a much more complex tryptamine than DMT or psilocybin (which have many more reports of successful mixing with MAOIs)

^Well technically LSD contains both the phenethylamine and the tryptamine skeleton within its structure.

but since it not a simple monoamine, and has a whole big structure wouldn't it's metabolism be carried out by other enzymes than the MAOs?

I mean enzymes have a lot more places where they can start breaking the molecule down on LSD than DMT for example, since LSD is far more complicated in structure.

^If I remember correctly, LSD is metabolized via 3 different enzymatic pathways. MAO definitely isn't one of them, though. :)

St Johns Wort and Mushrooms

this came up in a thread at the shroomery.

someone said SSRIs pretty much kill any kind of trip youre going to get on mushrooms.

im not sure about St Johns Wart though. i know its basically an herbal antidepressant. do you think the same thing will happen?

It's an antidepressant MAOI, not an SSRI. MAOI's generally potentiate serotonergic psychedelics. You don't have to fear a diminished trip, but rather be careful with the shroom dosage!

An MAOI will inhibit the metabolic breakdown of several compounds in the body, including serotonin (hence anti-depressant effect) and serotonergic psychedelics (hence trip-potentiating effect).

An SSRI will inhibit the re-uptake of serotonin, thus increasing serotonin levels, but also decreasing any psychedelic effect since that depends on the uptake of serotonin-like substances.

Basically.

Last edited:
^Yup its definitely a MAOI. I'm fairly sure its not that strong(compared to pharm MAOIs) but i'm sure like mjall said it would amplify the trip a good bit.

Hmmm, Actually it has a bit of both but IME SJW is more SSRI than it is MAOI.

You can still eat whatever you want on it, and it seems to take 2 weeks to get any anti-depressant effect to start (like other SSRIs).

Either way I don't think it's strong enough to block a mushroom trip. Give it a shot; it's certainly not dangerous.

yeah i was going to trip with a girl ive known for a while. she takes st johns wart every day.. at least she used to. she may have stopped. dont know..

i wasnt entirely sure what would happen (if anything). shes never done mushrooms before.

Do tell her about the interaction between st johns wart and mushrooms, so she can make a better decision for herself.

how many saint john's wort (SJW) doses should i skip before taking LSD?

SJW and LSD are contraindicated - the combination may cause serotonin syndrome. i've been taking 600mg of standardized SJW twice daily for depression. SJW supposedly has a half-life of 24 to 48 hours. does this mean that it would be fine for me to take LSD after skipping doses for ~3 days, or would there be delayed effects from having been on SJW regularly? there is little literature on this. (that's the problem with making otherwise harmless drugs illegal!!!)

I am not sure that would cause Serotonin Syndrome, isn't SJW suspected to be a SSRI of sorts? SSRI's generally lead to a reduction in an intensity, and do not seem to be dangerous. that being said, where did you hear that SJW and LSD are contradicted? is it based on the idea that SJW is a MAOI?