View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Prolonged Negative Effects of LSD Use

swilow said:
...Sorry, what does that mean? :|
Higher-than-average typo count. I was just guessing--if that doesn't apply to you, a thousand pardons... :)

swilow said:
Whatever. I think your uber rationalism is rather boring but thats cool.

Fact is this- LSD is one of the safest psychedelics known to man.

I know I didn't have to rely to this topic, but I'm one of the moderators so its kinda my job :| I don't believe LSD causes negative effects when used resonsibly.

If your argument above was meant to mean anything its lost on me; I'm not very rational so I wouldn't bother with mundane logic. See, I'll just change what I meant to say I meant, you know?

The worst side effect of LSD is getting a bit gentle.....

Heres no peace.

my argument was meant to show the different ways in which people reason. i can certainly understand it being boring and i apologize for that. right now i am working a job where i often finish all my work before i'm officially supposed to leave and so i often post on bluelight to kill the time. i like to play around with logic. i know i belong in the philosophy and spirituality forum but the debates there get too heavy to manage while trying to post in between doing work.

as those who are truly affected by the sometimes devastating consequences of LSD aren't likely to part take in a drug enthusiast forum.

There's another explanation - the devastating consequences are largely a figment of prohibitionists imagination.

I'm sure there are far more people who develop mental problems from having relationships than ever develop them from taking LSD.

burn out said:
my argument was meant to show the different ways in which people reason. i can certainly understand it being boring and i apologize for that. right now i am working a job where i often finish all my work before i'm officially supposed to leave and so i often post on bluelight to kill the time. i like to play around with logic. i know i belong in the philosophy and spirituality forum but the debates there get too heavy to manage while trying to post in between doing work.

Hey bro, I'm sorry for what I said. It was not called for....:) My apologies. Early morning grumps...:!

:)

Almost posted a knee-jerk reaction to the first post, then read your reply to swliow's post. Will post my own answer when I am not under the effects of the compound in question

^Enjoys Mistah! <3

Missing me oztrance fix...;)

^Thank ye! This has been a somewhat purposeless trip. I wanted to hear what death metal sounded like on acid. So I found out. Now I have hours to go. Lucky I've got a fuckload of music (and sadly, not a whole fuckload of nitrous :( )

Amen re: oztrance.

I am indeed a drug enthusiast, but not simply a hedonist,

I had to laugh a little swilow - "not simply a hedonist" :D

Yeah psychedelic enthusiasts abound in here - thank fuck it's the only sane place I seem to go. <3

^You know I look down on the plebes and their hedonism....;) I seek purity. Virginal purity.

I read Op and second post.
To OP: Sorry if i don't answer your questions.

He really doesn't seem like he's demonizing/degrating or otherwise "downing" LSD at all. I think he's just asking about the factors of long-term harm LSD causes and is curious as to why one would continue to take LSD when they are experiencing mental problems, sometimes long after, the use of the drug.

I've never taken LSD, only research chems, but in my opinion, psychedelics are nothing more than something to cause you acute psychosis. I mean when it comes down right to it, isn't that what it really is? I think a "normal" person wouldn't understand why someone would want to start seeing all manner of creatures/objects that don't really exist and have a sort of "mindfuck" throughout the entirety of the trip (and often afterwards).

So what's my point?
Asking someone why they take a drug when it causes prolonged effects when the actual drugs desired effects is to make you (literally) insane for a period of time isn't something i feel you can really get a logical answer out of.

Today, if someone went up to a mountain and had some "laws" or something written on stone and saying they were spoken to by god they'd not be considered a messiah/prophet, they'd be considered crazy. And taking some of these drugs can make you speak to god (among other things), make you crazy.

So maybe you get what i'm saying, maybe you don't. I'm not very good at clarifying things.

Best of luck on your information quest!

^^^^ Cface my friend, one man's "psychosis" is another man's "mystical experience." :\

I don't see the psychedelic state as anywhere near psychosis or insanity. Indeed, when I am tripping I feel in my element. Just because the psychedelic state doesn't lend itself to highly structured thinking and tasks doesn't make it a form of insanity. I am quite sane whilst tripping, thank you very much.

During an acid trip last year I developed cramping in my muscles and tendons on my right side only and it's still with me 12 months later.
Many of my friends have taken this acid and I'm the only one that has this problem??

I tend to think that low quality LSD can have a deletarious effect and high quality LSD usually has a very beneficial effect.

Jean Houston remarked in the late 60's, when she went to talk to some university students at a midwestern university... he target audience that were a bunch of deranged and delirious people... she marked it up to "black market LSD". Whereas, the material she was using in her reserach was Sandoz.

In the beginning, all they had is Sandoz... and now it is all different sorts... quality remains low compared to where it could be in my opinion. And this comes from trying some spectaculor batches - which in fact, just gave me the feeling this was "the real thing". Its effects were entirely beneficial and the benefits only increased... whereas, some LSD has left me feeling pretty fried for some time.

So I would say, yes, LSD seems very safe if it is quality LSD. As it is often not quality LSD, and people often don't approach it with respect or really understand what they are getting themselves into a lot of the time... it can often just confuse matter for people... and most of that is not a chemical reaction, but a psychological one.

Julian.

After trying acid for my first time, my perception of everything had changed, especially how everything looked at night. ive done it 3 times total now, i randomly experience hallucinations such as the expanding and unexpanding of windows on my computer screen when i stare at it on ocassion... a bunch of other random hallucinations have happened, but this one is consistant and has for a few weeks. i appreciate it for what it is though and enjoy it.

it was 12 months last month from my 1st ever LSD experience. i havent had HPPD as such, but i see things that remind me of my trip.
mainly when i look at these oak trees outside my house blowing in the wind, i get the resemblance of the morphing that happens whilst on acid..

EDIT: its not a prolonged negative effect, i actually quite like it.

A lot of these "negative" after-effects are simply learned perceptions. The hallucinations experienced on acid aren't full-on ones that you can later dismiss as completely unreal and forget about, they're in the form of patterns - an analogy is
when you first started learning shapes as a kid, once you learned what a square is you became much more apt to "see" it in the world, same goes with psychedelic patterns, static, trails, etc. Add to that lsd's effect on neuroplasticity (ups it), and you're likely to perceive the world in a different way following a trip, permanently.

It's hard to say if LSD does what you're asking about. It's kind of like asking "will becoming extremely religious change my personality?" I mean it will, but only because you became extremely religious. I think it's the same with LSD. You can eat a ton, think you discovered the secrets of the universe, come out of it and smoke a joint and laugh it off, or you can accept what you experienced as real and change your behavior around it. I think it can change your personality, usually for the better but quite possibly for the worse as well, but in *most* cases I think there's a large matter of freewill involved.

And for people who say LSD is totally benign and nobody's ever had their head fucked-up from acid . . . http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_LSD_Train_Wrecks_Trip_Disasters.shtml

It happens. I don't know how often it happens, or what causes it or whether it's possible to prevent, but it does, and we should always be mindful of what we're toying with when we put that piece of paper on the tongue.

tobala said:
^^^^ Cface my friend, one man's "psychosis" is another man's "mystical experience." :\

Exactly :)

swilow said:
The worst side effect of LSD is getting a bit gentle.....

Yeah - that happened to me as well. :( ;)

LSD is probably best not taken after using strong stimulants for several days or weeks tho - that I can attest to.