Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Pholcodine (in cough syrup)

Halif

Bluelighter
I usually get Benadryl PE because it has dextromethorphan which is good as a pre-codeine thing, but the pharmacist suggested I try their generic brand cough syrup because DXM hasn't proven effective as an antitussive (I do in fact have a nasty dry cough and would appreciate some relief at night).

Their generic has something called Pholcodine in it. I've never heard of it before.

Wikipedia says it is an opioid with a long half-life which could potentially cause a positive for opiates in a drug test even days after having taken it. Also, and a bit strangely, it seems to be schedule 1 in the USA.

Has anyone else heard of this? I guess it has no abuse potential if it's available OTC here.

I have had it, does not produce any euphoria at all. No pain killing properties, purely an anti tussive.

Yes, it does seem to have helped with my cough, which is nice.

I wonder if it has any notable interactions with anything - DXM, codeine, doxylamine...

It apparently has some mild sedative properties.

It's a mild CNS depressant sure, probably on the same level of codeine. You won't really get a high from it.

I am pretty sure I have read it has no abuse potenital. A quick search has basically confirmed this, although interestingly there is someone claiming it is Scheule I in the US. Same source claims it is the only opiate the Olympics committee allow athletes to use, found that info on another forum though so don't take it as gospel.

FWIW, this is the only thing I've taken that actually helped get rid of a very annoying dry cough. That probably doesn't send the BL community into a state of frenzied excitement, but it's good if it works for other people too. Nothing worse than an irritated throat which gets worse when you lie down, making sleep impossible.

<brought to you by pholcodine TM>:p

@PeacePipeChief
CNS depression (heart rate, breathing etc) isn't a measure of euphoria, even though the inverse (euphoria/depression) does correlate to an extent with opiods, .

Sadly I had the issue of expecting DXM but getting pholcodine, pharmacy had no robo, anyway it always pays to read the label before chugging the bottle, h.r 101 ;)

But yeah, from my research it seems devoid of any fun beyond that of mild sedation (nill), and I've heard some alarms about its safety window. Sounds like it's best saved in the medicine chest for when you actually have a dry cough. It's a shame I have no promethazine left, as a small amount + promethazine may have been a nice sedation, oh well, I'm not really into opiods

What do you mean?

By safety window I mean the effective dose / toxic dose ratio

On an old bluelight thread I found I heard this

drplatypus said:
It appears to be reasonably easy to overdose on- I've treated 2 in the last year. sketchy, agitated, palpitations, quite atypical for opiates
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/index.php/t-328536.html

While it's just an anecdote, I feel its none the less important to mention in the aim of harm reduction.

Thanks for that clarification and information, S-Haze. I agree that any info can potentially be useful for harm reduction.

I decided that to give Pholcodine a try. I took 200mg as well as 25mg Promethazine. My only other experiance with an opiod (besides subpsychoactive doses of codeine for analgesia) is 210mg codeine last summer, so I have no tolerance or any real expectations

My experience; I felt sleepy, I slept, I woke up feeling slightly groggy.

This substance provides no euphoria, or nodding. I think at most it may have provided mild sedation, made me slightly mellow, and then sleep.

The cough syrup tasted delicious though, it had heaps of Sorbitol so it was just such a sweet amazing taste. Too bad the sweetness is caused by a laxative. In terms of the Sorbitol vs Pholcodine on my digestion, pholcodine won, I did not get the runs :p

So yeah, this substance is devoid of recreational use. It may help withdrawals, probably would be great for cough or diarrhea

Thanks for providing follow up details of your research. Sounds like it's of limited value outside of getting to sleep, suppressing a cough, or stopping the runs (all useful things but not really novel).

I just drank a 200ml bottle of durotuss forte, I have done it a few times.. Although there are the warnings and the upset tummy in most cases, I haven't had trouble with it.
Good relaxant.. chilled me out. And it takes a lot to chill me out. But I am on sedative medication for mental illness too.. so it could've reacted with that.
So I have taken ten times the recommended daily dose, and I'm fine :)
Just need buds now ..

Hey FruitHunter, want to give some details? What was your experience with it? Why is it the worst?

I haven't touched any pholcodine-containing product since the day I made the original post, so I've got nothing new to add about it. But, as I said, I actually found it helpful as an antitussive.

Pholcodine

(Firstly apologies if this has been covered. I've had exams so haven't been on BL in a while)

Codeine hasn't been used as an anti-tussive (cough suppressant) due to the abuse potential in a while. Today however I saw a new product by Durotuss with the main, active ingredient as Pholcodine. Now this is an analogue of codeine however without the analgesic effects. In other words; you cannot get high from it! In fact the consumption of copious amounts of this leads to nausia, dizziness, vomiting and constipation!!

Just from a HR point of view, don't even bother! You will not get the effect you're after!

(Ill upload pics tomorrow when I'm in the pharmacy).