• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Petrol Sniffing in Indigenous Communities

Today I found out a certain person died (Aboriginal) from complications purely out of his love for alcohol. Cant go into details for confidentiality reasons but he was 42 (way to early) and an absolutely gorgeous man. R.I.P you will be fondly remembered for the rest of my life.

About 15 years ago I found out my grandfather on my mothers side (Whiteman) died due to complications (Liver) purely out of his love for alcohol. He was 35 and apparently a cunt of a man (From 3 sources, I obviously never met him, I'm only 27)

Don't exactly know where I'm going with this but as I said earlier, a gorgeous man holistically tragically taken way to early.

Petrol sniffing CCTV reveals tragedy of Outback children

IT has just gone dark, on Monday, May 13. Three kids jump the fence into a mechanic's workshop, on the main drag through Tennant Creek, on the Northern Territory's main highway.

As they walk across the yard, CCTV footage reveals they are girls.

They are petrol sniffers, aged 13, looking for a hit that could leave them brain-damaged, wheelchair-bound, or dead.

They find it in the tank of a ride-on mower, in for repairs. One of the girls removes the cap to the fuel tank and inhales deeply.

Another girl takes her turn. Then they return for more.

The confronting images, obtained by News Limited depict a regular event in Tennant Creek and nearby Ali Curung, which over the past 12 months have seen major sniffing outbreaks.

Some estimate there are up to 100 active sniffers, but the two towns are not included in the federal government's national map of known "sniffing zones".

There has reportedly been a massive decline in Central Australia and northwest WA since the rollout of the low-aromatic, less harmful Opal fuel, but stubborn service stations still refuse to stock the product, claiming customers don't like it.

Unleaded is available in Tennant Creek, though the 2013 review into the national Petrol Sniffing Strategy reports a "significant relationship between the distance from each community to the nearest ULP outlet, and the size of the decrease in the prevalence of sniffing at each community".

Petrol sniffing has almost been obliterated in Alice Springs and surrounding communities since the introduction of Opal, but there has been a sharp rise in the use of inhalants such as aerosol deodorants.

The review notes that in the 80s and 90s, sniffing in remote communities had reached epidemic proportions. "Many have died, and others have permanent brain damage," says the report.

The scourge, which had been prematurely declared beaten, is back.

Darrin Whatley, who owns the Tennant Creek workshop, said last year it was boys jumping his fence looking for fuel. Now girls.

"It's sickening," he says. "The girls need help, support and education and no one's doing anything about it."

The PSS review notes that there were few treatment facilities for sniffers and difficulties mandating their treatment.

The three Tennant Creek girls were not ordered into treatment or protective custody but given trespass notices.

"Sniffing itself is not a crime," says Tennant Creek's senior sergeant Des Green.

"Supplying petrol is. We often come across people in the process of sniffing or affected by sniffing. We take them straight into care, to the hospital."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-new...en/story-fncynjr2-1226659643184#ixzz2VYhHQ2DO

Violence against Aboriginal women 80 times worse

Aboriginal women 80 times more likely to be hospitalised for assault
"Disastrous" school attendance rates of remote indigenous children
Australians "don't want to know" about shame in their backyard

DO you want the shocking truth?

There's a place in the world where dreadful violence is regularly inflicted upon women - rape, terrifying assault and murder.

In this place, women of a certain ethnic group are 80 times more likely to be hospitalised for assault and injury.

Many of the assaults are perpetrated by the women's husbands or partners and include being raped with wooden or metal objects, or being murdered by being repeatedly punched and struck with a saucepan, stones, a wheel rim and a wheel brace.

Or there was the case of the man who used a hose to whip his 32-year-old wife, stomping on her abdomen and dragging her naked body over rough ground, before raping her, and then bashing her with either a stick or metal pole, causing severe internal injuries, before finishing her off with a rock.

In this place, up to 20 people live in some houses and children are stressed out and neglected.

In remote areas, up to 65 per cent of children attend school for fewer than three days a week and up to 60 per cent of them fail the national early developmental index which measures a child's ability to cope with starting school.

Apart from the outrageously high rates of violence, unemployment is rife, and thousands of people are battling alcohol and gambling abuse.

Australians who were shocked over the last few months by violent attacks on women in India should be alarmed by this.

This place is in our backyard.

It is one-third the size of India, and has .0002 of India's population.

It is Central Australia, and in particular the Northern Territory.

"There is a tri-state area in the middle of Australia which is a Bermuda triangle for domestic violence against Aboriginal women," said South Australian university lecturer and anthropologist, Professor Peter Sutton.

"People don't want to know, but how about women being raped by a burning fire stick or by a star picket?

"After the incidents in India I had a stream of emails from people wanting something done about it, but there's no petitions hitting my in-tray about what goes on in Central Australia and has done so for a very long time."

"The society where this is going on is very different from the middle-class Aboriginal people that many people know.

"These are hair trigger communities where people fly into a rage in a second.

"People are under the influence of alcohol and there are beatings and stabbings.

"Resorting to physical violence is the norm."

Dr Howard Bath, the Northern Territory's Children's Commissioner said the most recent statistics from the NT's five major government hospitals showed that in 2010 the number of non-indigenous females hospitalised for assault was 0.3 for every thousand women in the population.

The rate for indigenous females was 24.1 per thousand, or 80 times the rate.

"In numbers, that was 27 non-indigenous females being admitted, compared with 842 indigenous women being treated for assault.

"What we are looking at is a disastrous situation in terms of the risk of violence to indigenous women.

"These numbers are mind boggling. The rate of abuse of these women is enormously high and children are being exposed to this, resulting in very, very high rates of child neglect."

Aboriginal men and to a lesser extent Aboriginal women and non-indigenous men were responsible for violence against Aboriginal women.

Dr Bath blamed alcohol and drug abuse, overcrowding and "consistent unemployment".

"Alcohol is the worst factor by a country mile," he said.

"Between 60 and 70 per cent of violence is directly related to alcohol.

"The facts are generally known, but it's a delicate area.

"Most of the people who are familiar with the details don't want to put a set of shameful allegations against the Aboriginal community and in particular the menfolk."

Dr Bath agreed Australians seemed more sympathetic with cases of violence in other countries than in their own country.

"Where is the outrage?" he said.

"I think if it's close to home, it's harder to look at.

"People aren't comfortable with what is happening to women in the Northern Territory.

"And it's having devastating developmental impacts on children.

"The figures for children from very remote areas of the territory very high rates of developmental skills and school attendance rates of 65 per cent attending less than three days a week.

"That is outrageous. It's disastrous".

Northern Territory MP Bess Price said the Aboriginal and white communities had long known about the violence and done nothing.

She had been "routinely attacked", called "a liar" and "obscenely insulted on the internet" - in particular by people with left-wing political views - for raising the issue.

She told the NT Parliament last month that two of her relatives who were "young mothers" were killed in Alice Springs this year.

"One was injured mortally in the public, in front of several families," Ms Price said.

"Nobody acted to protect her.

"Dozens of my female relatives have been killed this way. Convictions usually lead to light sentences.

"I was told by a senior lawyer that no jury in Alice Springs will convict an Aboriginal person for murder if the victim is also Aboriginal and he or she is only stabbed once.

"We all have done nothing effective to stop this from happening. It has been going on for decades.

"Why hasn't there been the same outrage over the continuing killing of our women and abuse and neglect of our kids?

If these women victims were white, we would hear very loud outrage from feminists.

If their killers had been white, we would hear outrage from the Indigenous activists.

Why is there such a deafening silence when both victim and perpetrator are black?

"I believe that we can blame the politics of the progressive left and its comfortably middle class urban Indigenous supporters."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...se/story-e6frfkp9-1226661209335#ixzz2Vm3KVAog

Genocide! are you fucking retarded? How the fuck is people changing their traditions and one law for everyone genocide?

Are you fucking keith windschuttle??
Please for the love of god educate yourself on the history of this nation.
there was a deliberate govt policy of eliminating the indigenous peoples of this country for over a hundred fucking years.

And please; "aboriginal" is an adjective, not a noun.
Talking of "aboriginals" makes [any poster in question] look ignorant.
As does "them" and "us". Presumptuous, ignorant - and dare I say racist?

That's just the grammar...some of the ideologies that lay beneath are just too ugly to think about. (ie "Are you fucking retarded?")

Cheers for the fucking great post, mindsnare.

SJ! Good to see you back, I've missed your rants =)

Also, I was completely unaware that Aboriginal was an adjective not a noun. I and pretty much everyone I know says Aboriginal oppose to Indigenous, I thought Aboriginal was 100% a correct term. I'm not arguing, just surprised and I think other people would be too.

^ you can say lots of things :)
I prefer "indigenous folk" or something, but I'm a PC Thug, apparently.

Doesn't aborinals or aborigines mean indigenous folk of whatever place? I'm not at home on my mac so it's not so easy to check definitions on my phone right now, but I never mean to be racist or ignorant, sometimes I may come across that way on the net, but truth is I dislike everyone equally until I think they are decent or not an asshole like many people are of all sorts of races and religions.

^ no intention of saying you or anyone was being racist, it's just lacking the second part of the term that would make it grammatically correct. Like "the aboriginal [x]".
It's little hard to explain, but when I hear certain white folks spit out the word "aboriginal" I always think "aboriginal what?"
"Aboriginal person/people/community/art/etc" is perfectly correct use of the language, but the way some people talk about "them" "aboriginals" it gets detected on my redneck radar.
Don't stress, the radar is going 24/7 in this part of the fucking country. Not directed at anyone specifically, just a grammar nazi...er, commie? ;)

Are you fucking keith windschuttle??
Please for the love of god educate yourself on the history of this nation.
there was a deliberate govt policy of eliminating the indigenous peoples of this country for over a hundred fucking years.

And please; "aboriginal" is an adjective, not a noun.
Talking of "aboriginals" makes [any poster in question] look ignorant.
As does "them" and "us". Presumptuous, ignorant - and dare I say racist?

That's just the grammar...some of the ideologies that lay beneath are just too ugly to think about. (ie "Are you fucking retarded?")

Cheers for the fucking great post, mindsnare.

This makes me angry, do you realise most people get offended when called racist?.Racism is a major problem in our society and it pisses me off, but something else that pisses me off is smarmy people like yourself who will not argue with whats said just with how it was said. Indiginous Australians?, aboriginal Australians?, black fellas?, Aboriginals? I admit I dont know what the least offensive name is (and it sounds like you dont either)

As for the what you said about me needing to educate myself on genocide against Aboriginals, can you provide a reputable source?

Also if you truly belive the arguably the most vile crime against humanity occurred in this country, what are you doing about it?

Honestly, What are you doing or have done to right these wrongs, I bet its nothing more than raise some money or at most a few weeks of your time. Id be surprised if you've ever been to a remote community let alone made a difference.

Last edited:
This makes me angry, do you realise most people get offended when called racist?
Good.

As for the what you said about me needing to educate myself on genocide against Aboriginals, can you provide a reputable source?
Tasmania.
Honestly, What are you doing or have done to right these wrongs, I bet its nothing more than..(blah, blah blah etc).
I try to educate - and maybe even rile up a few folk who push the line you seem to be pushing. As for educating yourself, might I suggest starting with the Bluelight User Agreement (BLUA in my signature, bud).
Racial vilification is strictly frowned upon, and you're sailing a bit close to the shore with this one, chum.
You seem to be getting worked up about something very ugly that has no place here.

SJ could have done absolutely nothing to help Aboriginal communities (not suggesting thats the case, I have no idea personally) and it would still be lightyears ahead of spouting ignorance and racism. For the record I am pretty damn sure that we pretty much totally wiped out the main Aborigine tribe on Tasmania, which in my eyes would constitute genocide. What is the attempted destruction of a people if not genocide? It seems pretty retarded to me to call it anything else.

A lot of people get offended when they're called 'fucking retarded' too. It's an especially discriminatory word for disabled people.

Of course it matters how something is said. That's what language and communication is. The tone, implication and way something is said matters as much, if not more, than the literal words. Anyone who speaks knows that, and to claim otherwise is just disingenuous.

It's also a fallacy to suggest someone's claim is any less legitimate depending on whether they are actively doing anything to help it. It's a way to deflect, to pass the buck - to suggest that someone's has to prove their views through action, as if the opinion is less valid without it. Helping to 'right the wrongs', as you put it, is a great thing, but it doesn't make the initial claim any more true or false than it initially was. Do you think someone can only hold an opinion about something if they actively try to change it? Why?

Good.

Tasmania.

I try to educate - and maybe even rile up a few folk who push the line you seem to be pushing. As for educating yourself, might I suggest starting with the Bluelight User Agreement (BLUA in my signature, bud).
Racial vilification is strictly frowned upon, and you're sailing a bit close to the shore with this one, chum.
You seem to be getting worked up about something very ugly that has no place here.

You to educate a rile up others? this is you your reaction to genocide? I would love for you to point out when I racially vilified anyone, are you sure your not confusing me with someone else?

You to educate a rile up others? this is you your reaction to genocide? I would love for you to point out when I racially vilified anyone, are you sure your not confusing me with someone else?
Denying genocide is pretty offensive to its victims.
If I am in a position to enlighten someone, then I take pleasure in doing so.
Folks that just seem to have a worldview opposed to that of human compassion, dignity and decency? Shit yeah, you're likely not worth the effort trying to have a reasonable dialogue with.
Your above posts (indeed any relating to Australia's native peoples) have made this patently clear.
No time for racists; if that makes you angry, as I said; good!

Hmm... I dunno SJ, you have no time for racists but your presuming gipman is racist, naive' un-educated in the field perhaps, but these are the people that need time to learn. I don't think gipman is racist, he's trying to discuss an issue that he has a lack of understanding of. There is nothing wrong with that, I'm not a hypocrit because I joke about tragedy's of all nations including ours. This in no way means I think that these cases of hate/loss/victims of disaster funny, but I take the piss anyway because joking about something cynical is funny. When people take the politically correct road I normally tell people to get fucked, it's one thing to be offended if it specifically targets you or your race/sexuality etc. But if I call someone a faggot because there being a dick, and someone says to me I shouldn't use that word because it's offensive to homosexuals I'll tell them to fuck off because I have nothing against homosexuals and I don't affiliate the word with homosexuals and I wouldn't give a shit if this person was one so why would I use it as insult. There's a big difference if I used the word faggot aimed at a homosexual for his sexual preference, then this is very offensive and should be stamped but when you're firing up at gimpan for not understanding our history something which a large portion of Australian's would fall under. Then don't get angry SJ, discuss, teach, you get so fired up so quickly in this thread so I understand you passion because when people say opposing arguments in most threads on bluelight you preach HR and use education to change minds, I would applaw you to apply that attitude to this topic as well, oppose to being on your high horse and just saying "no time for racists; if that makes you angry, as I said; good!" When based on gipmans posts I don't consider him a racist.

I'm fiercely pro-indigenous Australians.
I have a lot of time for our first nation's peoples, in an ideological sense; gimpan's comments are those of a member who will not listen, just demands answers. I frankly can't be fucked explaining myself - if you don't get it - we live in the age of information. Curiosity is easily fulfilled! Google, Wikipedia - whatever!
Educating yourself isntl hard, and "Australian genocide", "terra nullius" and "stolen generation" might be some handy search terms.
Oh, and look up a charming fellow by the name of A.O Neville if you think Australian official govt policy was anything but cultural destruction through countless "christian" means.
In my experience, however - if it talks like a racist/bigot/etc and defends racist ideologies, I calls I like I see it.
I subscribe to what used to be referred to as a "black arm band" view of history.

...and I'm prejudiced against racist Australian people; they can deal with it...or get angry.
Either way, no skin off my nose. I have no sympathy for racists or their apologists whatsoever.

Last edited:
I agree with you, spacejunk, that indigenous Australians have gone through a hell of a lot. Just the thought of having your culture stripped from you and your country invaded by people you have never seen before sounds quite traumatizing. But I don't appreciate the way the Government tries to manage the aboriginal society by giving some of them housing benefits and generally separating them from a semi-functioning modern society. It's like that age-old question; how can equality be maintained when a rich man has children who adopt his wealth, while a rightfully poor man has children who adopt none of his wealth? Perhaps if the Government offered public educational systems for them and integrated future generations into society then we wouldn't have such a conflict. I think society can be appreciative of their diverse and unique culture; I remember having indigenous people educate us about their culture when I was in school. The new world has its benefits, but so does conservative culture.

On a vaguely related topic, I actually wrote a small blog post a while ago about racism and its misuse. A lot of people happen to be accused of being racist for their remarks offending a certain person whose race is marginalised or states certain statistics suggesting poverty among a certain division of people. But racism is only racist when the accusation is made because of the victim's race; if I call an aboriginal man an idiot, or vice versa, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm racist since it doesn't necessarily mean I made the remark because of his race or background. Correlation does not cause Causation.

Cause does not correlate to correlation. Oh who aren't I not kidding. Of course it does, sometimes more or less than others.

Cause does not correlate to correlation. Oh who aren't I not kidding. Of course it does, sometimes more or less than others.

Cause can correlate to correlation if I understand you correctly, unless cause correlates to correlation as a synonym, since correlation is just causation without a cause and causation correlates with that which it caused because it is the cause. I'm not sure what caused you to say that cause does not correlate to correlation; do you not correlate with me because I did not mention causes' correlation to correlation or do you think my post about correlation not meaning causation is the cause of your comment's correlation to mine in saying cause does not correlate to correlation?