• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Pain tolerance after opioid addiction

Yes. I did when I was clean for a full 5 years (no drugs, no scripts, nothing) but because I have cerebral palsy on my right side, I only felt the increased sensitivity on my left side. On my right side I can (and could then) legit cut myself badly and have no idea due to the neurological issues due to having Cerebral palsy.... But man I could have serious pain from small-ish injuries. I sometimes think it still happens now but I'm on so many scripts and such that IDK if it's the scripts or just me.

Last edited:
Will someone whos clean off opiates for years have increased pain sensitivity?
Do u feel ur pain threshold is lower now? After so many years doing opis I tolerate more pain but to me it feels the same honestly.

Do u feel ur pain threshold is lower now? After so many years doing opis I tolerate more pain but to me it feels the same honestly.
Its hard to tell, I think I might have a bit of hyperalgesia right now due a huge reduction in the amount of weed Im smoking as well, I found the weed withdrawals were very similar to the opiate withdrawals just like, 10x less severe and seem to be getting better 10x faster too. From a study I just read the hyperalgesia does go away after quitting opiates, it even said "However, more recent evidence confirms that ex-opioid users (at least 6 months abstinent) have decreased pain sensitivity compared to controls". Now Im not sure whether the controls were non users or currently addicted people but I was happy to hear it anyway

This is interesting.

I've been smoking weed for over 20 years.
Back in the day I never really noticed a "withdrawal" from weed.

But now after being on bupe & continue to smoke, I feel like I get withdrawals similar to opioids when I try to quit thc.
It use to be just boredom when I'd quit, now it's boredom + body pain + temperature fluctuations.

Weed (actually thc really) is an opioid-receptor modulator. So I think it's possible there could be some mechanism by which thc or other compounds could cause some kind of physical dependency.

I found gabapentin "ok" for hyperalgesia. But it returns once you're tolerant to gabapentin.

Do you use any other drugs OP? Things like magensium, NDMA receptor antagonists or even opioid receptor agonists might be of benefit if you don't want to go back to opioids.

Do you use any other drugs OP? Things like magensium, NDMA receptor antagonists or even opioid receptor agonists might be of benefit if you don't want to go back to opioids.
Nope I only ever smoke weed these days really, maybe the odd drink and the even rarer small couple coke lines, Ill be 2 years off opiates in either april or may and I stopped smoking weed *for the most part* about 3 weeks ago now

And yea I've actually heard from quite a few people now that after opiates weed withdrawal becomes more pronounced. I do think it has something to do with weed effecting the opi receptors like you said, but I think also possibly after being addicted to opis and constantly fearing and going through withdrawal you start to see a lot of discomforts in life through the lens of withdrawal, and perhaps theirs an increased, almost ptsd like fear associated with that

Last edited:
Went thru burns/made opes. Pain tolerance is much HIGHER now. I think severity and tolerance to pain can offset rebound hyperalgesia

Weed itself causes hyperalgesia contrary to all the bullshit saying it relieves pain.

I am a chronic pain patient and have to quit weed for months even sometimes when my pain is bad...even tho I love the weed high, it makes my.pain way worse. Any type of pain too.
I think like opiates it has the potential to do both

I don't recall that happening to me, despite once being on 380mg/day of methadone, ontop of which i developed an unholy IV fentanyl and tar heroin habit.

Yet, being mostly off opioids these days, using them only occasionally at far far lower doses, I haven't noticed any long term hypersensitivity to painful. I have always had a high pain tolerance so its hard to tell.

Benzos are a different story. Since quiting them I am permanently more anxious than I ever was. Symptoms of anxiety are far more easily provoked than before benzos.

I think like opiates it has the potential to do both
The difference is the opioid hyperalgesia happens when you are off the opioid (dose left your system). Weed hyperalgesia increases when you are peaking on weed and the pain decreases after the weed wears off.

This may sound all radical and stuff but I find that I become less sensitive to pain (edit after a while). I may be of the belief that we build a tolerance to pain just like everything else. May be bull shit but there ya have it, yah? lol

I don't recall that happening to me, despite once being on 380mg/day of methadone, ontop of which i developed an unholy IV fentanyl and tar heroin habit.

Yet, being mostly off opioids these days, using them only occasionally at far far lower doses, I haven't noticed any long term hypersensitivity to painful. I have always had a high pain tolerance so its hard to tell.

Benzos are a different story. Since quiting them I am permanently more anxious than I ever was. Symptoms of anxiety are far more easily provoked than before benzos.
How long have you been off benzos? Ive got the same thing and its been a few years, then again opiates also took away my anxiety for the most part so it could be both.

The difference is the opioid hyperalgesia happens when you are off the opioid (dose left your system). Weed hyperalgesia increases when you are peaking on weed and the pain decreases after the weed wears off.
I suppose everyone has different reactions but from what Ive read after being on opiates long term your pain tolerance becomes worse than a non user even at peak concentrations (of methadone in the study

I've never heard of this being permanent I'm shocked?

I thought the body readjusts after a period of adapting back to how it was before opiate use (pain sensitivity much higher for a few months until the pain is square one again). I really don't think I've seen anything relating to permanent pain sensitivity after years of opiate abuse.. I've never heard a junkie complain about that either but they were probably not really in it for the pain relief lol.

I do not doubt that real people even on the internet would lie about that. I just want to end with a very important note however: My friend withdrew from opiates longer than anyone I have ever met. I would be good after 2 weeks while he would not be good for about 6+ months from the exact same doses of only oxy. Some people just take forever to get back to normal even on low doses of painkillers alone. He is young and healthy like I am so its not necessarily factors beyond genetics I am thinking. My mother was a raging junkie in her younger days IV and all. Maybe I have some resistance to the withdrawal that others do not because of that. Physically I just rarely get symptoms.. mostly mental and some insomnia/restless legs but barely. I am not interested in prying but I would imagine the above posters who say "it never comes back" are just still getting their natural brain and pain relationship back to before when they were sober. It may take more time?

The opposite when in pain no prescription is prescribed over here.

So when in pain I ordered Kratom. Recently I am taking o-DesMethylTramadol. But something painkilling from dr. is narrowed to Paracetamol or APAP and Ibuprofen. Both of which are OTC.

The opposite when in pain no prescription is prescribed over here.

So when in pain I ordered Kratom. Recently I am taking o-DesMethylTramadol. But something painkilling from dr. is narrowed to Paracetamol or APAP and Ibuprofen. Both of which are OTC.
What savage place is this so I can avoid it?

Wjat happens when you are dying of cancer or have MS or something? Tough.shit?