• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Pain in the left arm

Salem_is_tired

Bluelighter
So, maybe I'm just a bit paranoid, but also interested if anybody else experienced this. When I drink, no matter if I'm just slightly buzzed or blacked out, I will wake up with a hard pain in my left arm. Mostly hurts when I move (not that bad, more annoying) but there is a constant numb sensation around my shoulder and wrist. Only in the left arm, and always in the same place - the position what I sleep in also doesn't really seem to matter, it still happens even if I sleep on my back, fully motionless the whole time.

So, maybe I'm just a bit paranoid, but also interested if anybody else experienced this. When I drink, no matter if I'm just slightly buzzed or blacked out, I will wake up with a hard pain in my left arm. Mostly hurts when I move (not that bad, more annoying) but there is a constant numb sensation around my shoulder and wrist. Only in the left arm, and always in the same place - the position what I sleep in also doesn't really seem to matter, it still happens even if I sleep on my back, fully motionless the whole time.

Could be some sort of nerve problem. Either way i would recommend you quit drinking alcohol if this happens every time. Your body is trying to tell you something.

How much do you drink, and how long?

I've had alcoholic neuropathy in my arms and fingers, but I've been drinking hard for over a decade. It comes and goes, but is mostly a numbness with combined muscle spams and mild pain, in my arms and sometimes hands.

How much do you drink, and how long?

I've had alcoholic neuropathy in my arms and fingers, but I've been drinking hard for over a decade. It comes and goes, but is mostly a numbness with combined muscle spams and mild pain, in my arms and sometimes hands.

I started around five years ago, but just really casually - or at least I never drink "too much" on a regular base. I mostly drink to help fall asleep a bit faster, and I'm usually good to go the next day, I'm not even hangover, but that fucking pain is still there.

Uh, sounds shit. Are painkillers working for you? When I take some, they usually don't do shit, and I have to wait the same time for the numbness to go away.

Could be some sort of nerve problem. Either way i would recommend you quit drinking alcohol if this happens every time. Your body is trying to tell you something.

To be honest, I only asked it because after the New Year's party, I woke up like this and when a friend of mine saw, me massaging my arm and asked me what happened, when did I fall on it, or why it was hurting. I told him the same, and he was really suspicious of my heart, and since I already have some fuckery with it, I felt like maybe I should ask about it here, maybe someone can tell me something useful - Since the last time I mentioned it to a doctor, the only answer I got was "than don't drink anything", and the fucker doesn't even bothered to send me anywhere or even just elaborate on it a minute longer :D

To be honest, I only asked it because after the New Year's party, I woke up like this and when a friend of mine saw, me massaging my arm and asked me what happened, when did I fall on it, or why it was hurting. I told him the same, and he was really suspicious of my heart, and since I already have some fuckery with it, I felt like maybe I should ask about it here, maybe someone can tell me something useful - Since the last time I mentioned it to a doctor, the only answer I got was "than don't drink anything", and the fucker doesn't even bothered to send me anywhere or even just elaborate on it a minute longer :D
Tell the doctor you don't drink anymore and it's still present. You should at the very least get an x-ray

Yeah doctors are no use these days. You must go back and outright tell him the problem has persisted despite you stopped drinking. And that you would like some tests done.

Tell the doctor you don't drink anymore and it's still present. You should at the very least get an x-ray
What calms me a bit, is that during covid I got my heart checked out, so that better be out of the question at least - I'm usually the most paranoid about that.
Yeah doctors are no use these days. You must go back and outright tell him the problem has persisted despite you stopped drinking. And that you would like some tests done.
Oh, don't let me start on that. It took me two years, and fucking move out from my home town to finally have a local ob/gyn, who cared enough to finally figure out that I have something going on - and imagen how fucking angry I was, when she told me, that the birth control I was on at the time for 1.5 years, actually is really not recemented to take for that long (3-4 months max) and requires blood work to be done, like every other month - and naturally, my fucking doctor who sighed my up for it without asking never fucking mentioned it.
Our health care is a big pile of shit, you have to basically wait at least half a year/a full year for everything or pay up half of your salary to actually get something done. I want some tests and finally understand this whole shit, but I want to prepare my wallet before everything.

Sounds like a heart problem. Pain in the left arm is a heart attack sign.

Heart attacks can be very mild too where you just feel kinda shitty…but they get worse with time

An alcohol hangover is extremely anxiety causing it’s even termed “rebound anxiety”. That increase anxiety and heart right might be making you feel the heart problem you don’t normally feel

Heart attacks can be very mild too where you just feel kinda shitty…but they get worse with time

An alcohol hangover is extremely anxiety causing it’s even termed “rebound anxiety”. That increase anxiety and heart right might be making you feel the heart problem you don’t normally feel
Heart Attack sign? That's serious shit. Good looking with the Knowledge.

That was my first idea too, but I thought I was overreacting. Shit. I was planning to visit my doctor on Tuesday anyway for something else, but I will definitely bring this up to him now. Fucking great. But naturally, thank you for the help!

Last edited:
That was my first idea too, but I thought I was overreacting. Shit. I was planning to visit my doctor on Tuesday anyway for something else, but I will definitely bring this up to him now. Fucking great. But naturally, thank you for the help!
That’s good just don’t do any drugs until you get an answer from the doctor.

Also don’t panic too much. Try to stay relaxed and doing some mindfulness breathing excercises really does help lower the stress on your heart and body. I do mindfulness breathing mediation except sometimes I use my heart instead of the breathing as a focal point and my hear slows down from around 65 bpm to 40 bpm. This really came in handy when having bad trips from drugs where my heart rate would be firing at like 150

Other things I’ve heard it feels like are getting the cold or hot sweats / flashes and an overall feeling of malaise. If you start to feel really bad like this try to go to an ER if you have the coverage

That’s good just don’t do any drugs until you get an answer from the doctor.

Also don’t panic too much. Try to stay relaxed and doing some mindfulness breathing excercises really does help lower the stress on your heart and body. I do mindfulness breathing mediation except sometimes I use my heart instead of the breathing as a focal point and my hear slows down from around 65 bpm to 40 bpm. This really came in handy when having bad trips from drugs where my heart rate would be firing at like 150

Other things I’ve heard it feels like are getting the cold or hot sweats / flashes and an overall feeling of malaise. If you start to feel really bad like this try to go to an ER if you have the coverage

Oh, I will put them on a hold 'till the doc says something useful (hopefully). I just want this shit figured out.

I will definitely look into mindfulness breathing, sounds like an interesting/useful technic! I'm actually a bit scared now, because lightheadedness and malaise are more usual, but (I thought, based on what other doctors said yet) mostly because of my blood sugar and iron deficiency.

If everything breaks, I definitely will if nothing else, call an ambulance - we don't really have ER where I live, if anything happens pass the open hours, you are just fucked.

Oh, I will put them on a hold 'till the doc says something useful (hopefully). I just want this shit figured out.

I will definitely look into mindfulness breathing, sounds like an interesting/useful technic! I'm actually a bit scared now, because lightheadedness and malaise are more usual, but (I thought, based on what other doctors said yet) mostly because of my blood sugar and iron deficiency.

If everything breaks, I definitely will if nothing else, call an ambulance - we don't really have ER where I live, if anything happens pass the open hours, you are just fucked.
Please don't panic, there could be a number of possibilities for your symptoms. I've seen a cardiologist several times when I was going through cold turkey benzo WD and they found nothing wrong. However it gave me a peace of mind going to get it checked out, which I think you really should.

Refute any chance the doctor asks if you drink alcohol, say it's constantly their and it's been gradually getting worse. That should make it priority on their list.

Oh and don't use Dr Google, all my symptoms at the time was suggesting angina, heart attack, ischemic stroke... Yada yada

Please don't panic, there could be a number of possibilities for your symptoms. I've seen a cardiologist several times when I was going through cold turkey benzo WD and they found nothing wrong. However it gave me a peace of mind going to get it checked out, which I think you really should.

Refute any chance the doctor asks if you drink alcohol, say it's constantly their and it's been gradually getting worse. That should make it priority on their list.

Oh and don't use Dr Google, all my symptoms at the time was suggesting angina, heart attack, ischemic stroke... Yada yada
I agree with most of this ^^^

it shouldn’t matter though whether you drink or not to your doctor. You should still e a priority if you are having these symptoms because a few things it could be could be life threatening, but it’s very likely neuropathy.

Still, even doctors get it wrong so how much more likely are we on bluelight going to get it wrong with little medical history or vitals..or scans…

You want to be honest with your doctor in this situation (most situations). Because the alcohol could indicate something…if it was caused by that. They NEED to know.

In potentially life threatening situations or situations of great risk of harm you ALWAYS NEED to consult a professional. If you are in the USA there is no reason to lie to your doctor about the alcohol. And not saying anything against doing that in general because face it doctors in general aren’t always the most unbiased. But when it comes to stuff like this. Be honest.

It could be something to do with your cardiovascular system but we don’t know that. And it may be nothing at all…

I know, I really hope it will turn out that I have some fuckery with my arm because of a past injury of something like this and nothing is actively fucked up. I head my heart checked out in late 2020, and besides something really small - I don't really want to say anything stupid, I really don't remember what he said exactly, but maybe something not closing good enough? But he also told me, that it is like a really minor error, and I don't even have to get it yearly checked out, so I should be good.

I will. I really hope he will write me a note and send me up to the main hospital in the county - the only way I can get it done fast and quick.

I would not even dare :D I don't want to end up getting diagnosed with three type of cancers - the doctors here are still a slightly bit better than Dr. Google.

I agree with most of this ^^^

it shouldn’t matter though whether you drink or not to your doctor. You should still e a priority if you are having these symptoms because a few things it could be could be life threatening, but it’s very likely neuropathy.

Still, even doctors get it wrong so how much more likely are we on bluelight going to get it wrong with little medical history or vitals..or scans…

You want to be honest with your doctor in this situation (most situations). Because the alcohol could indicate something…if it was caused by that. They NEED to know.

In potentially life threatening situations or situations of great risk of harm you ALWAYS NEED to consult a professional. If you are in the USA there is no reason to lie to your doctor about the alcohol. And not saying anything against doing that in general because face it doctors in general aren’t always the most unbiased. But when it comes to stuff like this. Be honest.

It could be something to do with your cardiovascular system but we don’t know that. And it may be nothing at all…

Thank you!

Yes, I was just really upset yesterday, but yeah, it is mostly likely just some nerves fucking with me - I had some problems in the past with my leg, cracked the base thigh, and fucked up the ligament in my knee a few times, so they pretty much hurt all the time, like when there is bigger weather change, or I work myself over. I don't remember anything like this happening with my left are, but nerves are funny things, so maybe even that could do something? - But, I'm a stupid fuck about everything medicine and human body, so hell knows if it is even relevant.

Naturally, I will tell him that it is mostly happens after drinking, but maybe, just to make everything a bit faster and get as many test as possibly, I will at that I started to feel this numb sensation randomly, whiteout alcohol too.

I'm from Hungary actually, and even as a bitch about it, the situation regarding doctors could be much worst - it is still not good, but at least social insurance covers most thing, if you have a specialized doctor local to you, or in your county (but to get there, you need a note from the Doc). My doctor mostly likely will send me to get some tests done, since I'm still pretty young and have records about past medical bullshit similar to this (last summer I shat blood, so I was sitting in his waiting room, crying as he arrived, so I believe my face will be familiar at least.)

I really fucking hope that it is just something small. Thank you for your help!