• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Online friends in 'real life' - how common is it?

How many of your friends did you first meet online and later meet in real life?

• none

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • A few

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • About half

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • Most

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • All

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have met some bluelighters who have been pretty cool, but it was during a time when things were hectic for me in my personal life so I never made it out to more than one or two gatherings. I live a very alternative life so I never stick with one group. I always tend to make lots of friends with people, but I am not one to spend every weekend with them. I don't believe in best friends so unfortunately when the occasional person has seeked a close friendship with me I haven't followed through. I am a floater. All of my offline mates know this and accept it. And I also get along with guys better than girls too, so my experience with some females from this site hasn't been the best.

There are some bluelighters that if I ran into them again since meeting them a few years ago I would have a good catch up, as I have in the past. But there are also some of whom I can tell haven't really grown up at all so I still wouldn't bother with them, as I didn't back then.

Last edited:
I've become trash buddies with a handful of Bluelighters, friends with a handful more and made a lot of acquaintances and associates through Bluelight. There aren't many forums that are both this tightly knit and this open. It's always either so tight they don't allow strangers into the clique at all or so open that most people come and go through the clique within a year.

Bluelight is really the only online spot that I've made real friends from. There are a few people I've come to know through livejournal when i used to make public posts... just friends of friends who we started commenting enough that we ended up on each other's friends lists to, then finally met in real life some time later.

Probably a bit more than half of my really close friends come from BL. In general, I've met them fairly early on and the friendship has built up both on/offline in tandem but there are a few people who I've only met after talking online for ages.

Do you think people's social lives are influenced a lot by forums and other internet sites, or is it more just a way of keeping in touch with people you already know?

For me it's a bit of both. I still enjoy meeting new people from here, but I tend to use other stuff (i.e. LJ/facebook) just to keep in touch with people I already know.

networking; regardless of form has never been an issue to me. i LOVE talking to/meeting new people and being online expands my network even greater. i have connections with various people all over the world; some of which ive been friends with for 8 years or more and hope to one day meet some of them.

i love the network i have here with certain members of BL; and am lucky to have met a handful of such like minded happy go lucky people with an essence for life. <3 the internet serves as an awesome meeting place; but like most, youve got to weed through the masses to find the gold.

...kytnism...:|

I have made some good friends through Bluelight, some of whom I will never meet in person due to location so I'm lucky to at least have that with them.

I have found that meeting people that I vaguely interacted with here on line when we happen to be in the same city is awesome- and have met some classic people who I really consider part of my extended family. Going to the US to catch up with some of them soon!

I have also lost friends through dramas concerning drugs and all the BL grape vine bullshit- both friends I knew before BL and friends I met through BL. So avoiding those people who still hang around on line that no longer are welcome/welcomed into my actual life is very hard at times.

But then you get over it and move on !

I am far more retarded than preacha when it comes to interaction with other people and tend to stick to people I am very comfortable with rather than a whole crew of people I only know the screen name of- its not as important to me to meet people just because I like their on line personality anymore. Sometimes on and off line personas are totally different anyway. <3

Ive met people in real life who happened to be bluelighters already, and became friends.

I have met a bunch of people through teh intarwebs....mainly bl, but also other sites as well - some I have become quite good friends with, I have shared houses with some...I guess I'm taking Maz's view that the internet and the non-internet are not necessarily two separate worlds; the internet is just a different way of interacting with people.

I have friends interstate and in other countries whom I probably would have lost touch with were it not for the net, so I see it as a good thing....and while bluelight is no longer as huge a part of my life as it was a few years ago it's still important to me. I guess the difference is reflected in things like I used to look at meetups as a big exciting event, now I just see them as a fun excuse to catch up with friends and hang out with like-minded people.. :)

The internet is simply an introduction to meeting people that either geography or circumstance would have never put you in a position to meet :D

Although i can count how many people i have met from the internet (only bluelight) on one hand, i have met some the most WONDERFUL people. Unfortunatly i have also met the other side of the spectrum but even through that person ended up meeting some now really good friends of mine. Im not in any hurry to go out and meet as many people as i can from the intrawebs but if i start talking to an awesome person online then why wouldn't i want to meet them in real life? :)

And it wasn't for the internet i wouldn't have met my boyfriend and that boy is the best thing to have come into my life so far, so i <3 the technological age very very much..

Last edited:
^Yes it does... whats your profile ?? j/k

Last edited:
about half of my friends are from the net, my current gf is too, we met on myspace and it went from there

I have one really close friend from the net, she's down in melbourne, known her for about 6 years, maybe 7, we've actually never met in real life before, but we can talk about anything :)

The net is a way of meeting people that you might not normally meet, I really enjoy net meetings, mainly because I am a social butterfly

/flutters away

I Choo-choo-Choose You, Capt'n. You Can Be *MY* Friend.

^
^
Poor James.
:(

I have made a good friend today, about a year too late unfortunately.

Vale Tudo rocks! :D

Oh well, i am looking forward to meeting some cool people off line for the first time in ages (first proper time too) and i am not expecting to get along with all of them. There are people on here that i have gained nice connections with who i am keen to meet and of whom i am sure are just as awesome in person. As long as everyone is mature and decent then regardless of how they feel towards others, it'll be a blast :)

^ Actually, I think you sometimes misunderstand people's intentions online - I think you'll get along with people okay in real life.

Yeah it's always much easier to associate with people with actual expressions and tones involved. Also people can seem to be a lot different in person too. They wouldn't say half the things that they actually do on this thing, so therefore naturally people will get along better.