• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Need some advice

Patton87

Greenlighter
Hi, I've struggled with addiction for some time, but I've recently found the strength to do something about it. I quit valium cold turkey 34 days ago on a dosage of about 30mg, but it just doesn't seem to get better. I've been reading that I should've tapered, but I cannot imagine that I should bother doing it now? I still have insomnia, ringing ears, and blurred vision. What is the best move at this point for me?

Thanks

Hey bro, I been there too, usually I would last about the same amount of time as you and then relapse because I couldn't take it anymore. I would maybe talk to a doctor and see if you could get prescribed a GABAergic drug like Gabapentin to help with withdrawal syndromes, as CT'ing benzodiazepines can be very dangerous and damaging. Gabapenting would help a lot with your symptoms, imo it's not the most pleasant drug in terms of side effects, but then again, a lot seem to like it. One of the good things about it is that it takes a long time to become dependent on it (as opposed to benzodiazepines or Z-drugs). I took it at high dosages daily for six plus months and then discontinued it with no problem at all. Kava root might also be helpful, though I'm not sure if this would just set things back for you as I don't have much personal experience with it. Stick in there brother I'm rooting for you, that's a hell of a monkey to kick.

Thanks, I honestly didn't know what I was getting into here. I don't feel like I'm physically in danger anymore, and I don't really want to use benzos. I just can't help but wonder when the heck these symptoms are going to LEAVE.

Well done on quitting your a champ. Id recommend you go to a doctor and explain your situation, ask him for the antidepressant trazadone an or maybe lyrica those will help alot with the anxiety and sleep problems...
And an added bonus the addiction potential for those two is really low when you are sticking to the prescribed dosages. Thats honestly the best advice i can give you. I really hope that you stay clean cause addiction to valium just escalates, i used to take around 100mg at a stage and i had to go to a rehab where they give you a taper and other medications to help you come down.
Maybe check into a rehab ? Good luck patton87 and welcome

Thanks for the input, both of you. I'm on zoloft and have been for a long while. Maybe it helped more than I realize.

Yes zoloft is a verry good drug my dad used to be a phama rep for Pfizer so i know rhe drug very well and it will help for shure. But not so much with what your dealing with now. What ive noticed myself being on zoloft since 16y old is that insomnia causes depression severely so if the insomnia is really bad rather go see a doctor befor your depression gets worse than it is. Is the insomnia real bad?

I have to say it is getting better. Sometimes I still only get around three hours per night. But, for the first 14 days it was much, much worse.

Yea thats moderately-severe insomnia in my opinion. 3h a night is not much hey? Just keep it in check cause it worsens depression and causes anxiety in my experience, and i know what its like to have insomnia.. Its shit straight up. What other medications are you on?

Ok. Thats good. Why did you quit cold turkey tho? Was the valium use becoming a problem or did you just not want the crutch ? How long did you use the valum for?

Well, I'd had issues for a long, long time. In October of 2015 I went cold turkey on Bupe. Now, I'm obviously trying to beat this. I just got sick of being on stuff as I got closer to 40. Three years on the valium btw.

Yea man hav issues for a long time myself.. If yove been on valium that long i would go back on it an taper it slowly. Your just torturing yourself now in my opionion. Quickly Google the ashton method. Personally i think thats the best way to taper safely and comfortablely. It might sound crazy that im saying this but i think you should get back on the valuims not 30mg lower, you decide or with what you feel comfortable wit and do the Ashton method.
I also once quit cold turkey off methadone. After 2y of use. Guess what? Hello seizure. Point is i had the opportunity and 500ml or a full bottle of methadone with me(laws in south Africa different) but i wanted to quit it but i actually just tortured myself !! And doc said only way to stop seizures was to go back on the methadone and taper.. Dunno? What do you think?

I think I've got to play it smart. I may well try to get medical advice because it doesn't look like this is going to fade anytime soon.

I think your on the right track patton. Go see a doctor. out of experience i know it wont get any better , but Google the Ashton method anyway its the best ime..
Good luck patton let me know how it goes and everything
Stef