Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Nauseous on come up (all psychs)

hazmatz

Bluelighter
Hi all,

I have noticed that everytime I take a psychedelic (roa makes no difference) I feel very sick to my stomach on the come up. I tried mxe for the first time recently and felt VERY pukey for about an hour until it hit me. I usually have to keep some tums by me when I use any psychs. It happens with ONLY psychedelics which is weird. I don't think its nervousness because..MDMA does not give me this effect at all.

Anyone know a more effective way of battling this? Tums only calm my stomach down a little bit, not nearly enough to enjoy myself normally.

Hi all,

I have noticed that everytime I take a psychedelic (roa makes no difference) I feel very sick to my stomach on the come up. I tried mxe for the first time recently and felt VERY pukey for about an hour until it hit me. I usually have to keep some tums by me when I use any psychs. It happens with ONLY psychedelics which is weird. I don't think its nervousness because..MDMA does not give me this effect at all.

Anyone know a more effective way of battling this? Tums only calm my stomach down a little bit, not nearly enough to enjoy myself normally.

Take this with a grain of salt, as it may not apply to you (how's that for my copout?)

First time I did mushrooms (Feb/12), I felt like someone was dragging barbed wire through my gut. This was on an empty stomach
2nd through approximately 10th times I made sure to have a bit of food on board (a slice of pizza, couple of pieces of bread, some macaroni or maybe a banana). Didn't dull the trip
11th through 30thish times I had a small dose of ranitidine; worked fucking miracles
30-60th-ish times I was able to eat shrooms with no food and no ranitidine; nausea gone away.

This was tripping on shrooms once to twice a week. After 4 weeks of not doing any shrooms, I took 4-HO-DiPT and didn't feel so good. Same thing happened the 2nd and 3rd time I took 4-HO-DiPT. That has been temporarily shelved, but 3 days ago the first time I tried 4-AcO-DMT it was like being blessed by the gods. Didn't have to take an acid absorber/reducer and didn't have to have any food on board.

It's a bitch, thats for sure. Ranitidine or Prilosec (OTC) taken about an hour before you dose might help and shouldn't diminish your enjoyment.

Good luck.

Tom

(when you think about it, it's a bit odd to have to take a drug so that you can enjoy taking a drug)

a large majority of psychs make me nauseous on the come up and i have the perfect remedy for you:

1) benadryl (diphenhydramine) 50mg: administer 1 hour before the psychedelic or match it up so it hits just before the psych does (generally takes 1 hour for benadryl to take full effect)
2) ginger extract: either chewable or pills or just real ginger, or ginger ale, or all of them. Chewable ginger extract (you can buy them in store) work the fastest and the best for me
3) lemon oil: don't use it personally but others find it effective
4) look up anti-emetics, some are easily found and 100% effective in preventing nausea
5) cannabis: if you can smoke it without anxiety or anything then it's very effective in treating nausea
6) trip on a relatively empty stomach, have a snack or something an hour or two before, don't eat a big greasy meal though

and if all that fails, which i doubt, then wait for the drug to hit and go throw up.

I could handle 4th plateau dxm trips (without puking) no problem, even chugging cough syrup without puking using the above methods so that should say something to the efficacy of this method.

Some psychs are much better than others for nausea, 4-aco-dmt, 4-ho-met, 25i-nbome are a few i can think of that don't cause me any nausea whatsoever. I usually only have to use ginger extract, it's pretty damn effective against nausea.

^Good list, except I remember seeing sekio say that lemon oil doesn't actually do much for nausea. Ginger and benadryl have worked well for me though, just remember to dose low on the dph otherwise you may get drowsy.

Great suggestions guys. I never thought about things like ginger ale, that actually helps my stomach a lot when I'm sick but I completely forgot about it. Thanks :)

Ginger jubes also worked for me. Chucking up when you are peaking off psychs isn't the most pleasant experience. The half hr I spent with my head in the toilet bowl puking my guts out after 3 blotters were momorable but not in a good way. The puke came out of my mouth and nose and to me they looked like black slithering worms from some x-files shit.

There are two chief ways I suspect psychedelics may cause nausea. One is through 5HT3 agonism (psyches mimic serotonin and 5ht3 is a serotonin subtype receptor psyches may attach to). A selective 5HT3 antagonist like ondansetron (prescription but not impossible to get) is ideal if that's what's causing it. The second is by some sort of chemically induced motion sickness that the shift from sober to tripping may induce. I would think dramamine would be better than diphenhydramine for this.

Ginger root, cannabis edibles 1 hour before hand ( if ur a green smoker ) , or smoked cannabis. I personally prefer laying on my back with a few swiggs of carbonated water.

There is absolutley nothing else you can do besides take medication that battles nausea or just accept nausea is part of the experience.

I also find a warm bath helps start a trip keeps me balanced.

As well eat a healthy meal like a veggie wrap 2 hours before the experience then fast til the end of the experience

I used to get nausea on every drug I did except for cannabis, not only psychedelics.
I found this to be from not eating enough since this was also a point in my life where I did a lot of cocaine.
Eat three meals a day and drink plenty of water.
If you already do this then maybe some ginger would help calm your stomach

This is very wishy washy, subjective talk, but i can't explain it any better.

Just take a hit of weed on the comeup. I believe the nausea to be psychological, especially with psychedelics. As you come up, awareness of your body heightens starting around the ground up through the genitals and moving upward through the chest, neck, head and possibly eventually into the cosmos (think heroic doses, Ketamine, or DMT) Anyway, naturally the user fights this process subconsciously because the body recognizes that something isn't normal. The ball of conscious awareness gets arrested in the solar plexus region and builds up causing abdominal pain and psuedo-nausea that can lead to vomiting.

If you eat a big meal beforehand, the awareness can get stuck on the stomach area easily because as it moves up through the digestive organs which happen to be at-work, there will be a lot more activity in that area to trap your focus.

One hit of good weed will cause a "head-change" which refocuses your physical awareness to a higher point in the body, usually the head.

Of course you want to eat a good diet and drink a good amount of water for the days leading up to taking any drug, or the overall negative state of your health will become apparent as you start coming up.

I'm pretty sure this has at least a bit to do with the serotonin receptors in the stomach. Kind of your body's way of letting you know you've ingested some foreign alkaloids.

1) benadryl (diphenhydramine) 50mg: administer 1 hour before the psychedelic or match it up so it hits just before the psych does (generally takes 1 hour for benadryl to take full effect)

I couldn't imagine adding this to a trip, even in small doses. I use diphenhydramine as a sleep aid from time to time (its whats in every OTC sleep aid) and at 50mg, I get odd feelings in my joints especially my extremities when I stay up too long after dosing. Not to mention some slight visual artifacts. I find that when I use it as a sleep aid, from time to time the weird feelings I get in my joints actually prevents me from sleeping, I end up with a weird body sensation almost like im riding a wave that comes and goes as well.

Your mileage may vary of course and I know we're not talking about using it as a sleep aid, but I think even at low doses the (side)effects other than quelling nausea arent anything Id want interfering with my trip. Just my two cents.

As others have mentioned the remedy for me was always smoke some weed, but also it helped me to meditate a bit or put on some relaxing music be in a comfortable environment with indirect lighting etc. Also drinking some tea and honey, like licorice tea sometimes helped to settle my stomach. Happy trips :)

Diphenhydramine definitely works for nausea but it does have some psychoactive effects that are not particularly desirable, especially when tripping. I would just take 25mg instead of 50mg.

The main cause of nausea with psychedelics is 5-ht3 agonism. Ondansetron is a prescription anti-nausea drug which acts as a 5-ht3 receptor antagonist. If you can get some, it is the ideal drug for counteracting psychedelic induced nausea.

Phenergan (Promethazine) a low-dose so as to not be sedating is a miracle.
Marijuana also works.
Ginger tea..

Blucifer Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Sweet Harlem Diesel Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Hulkamania Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Margaret Cho-G Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
White LSD Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
OG Tonic Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Biker Kush Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Kali 47 Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Mt. Cook Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Green Mango Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
White Domina Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
White Caramel Cookie Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Blackberry Dream Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Damn Sour Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Phishhead Kush Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Taliban Poison Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Six Shooter Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Carnival Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Majestic 12 Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
White Choco Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Kuchi Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Ether Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Grandma’s Batch Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Cherry Durban Poison Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Afkansastan Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
I-95 Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Kali China Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Outlaw Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
White Bubblegum Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Tangelo Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
GTO Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Sour LSD Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Pan Jam Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Critical 47 Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Dirty Widow Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Snow Ryder Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Snow Bud Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Clockwork Orange Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Jack's Dream Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Garlic Bud Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Chupacabra Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
831 OG Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Zelda Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Purple Swish Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly
Tutankhamon Cannabis Strain Information - Leafly

Have a list below of Cannabis strains which stop nausea and anxiety, though for nausea I buy a root of Ginger, slice it thin and freeze them to later swallow or use in a tea along with the ingesting of mushrooms. Until the shrooms kick in its good to swallow a few slices or steep in a tea.The ginger root will not stay more than 2 weeks in refrigerator hence I freeze since they go bad.

Using weed to kill nausea from a psychedelic can be risky as the combo can send a trip in the wrong direction for many people. Having hung out on this forum for a while now, I can't count how many times I've read a report where a trip was going fine ... until the weed came out. For sure many people can handle it, but it can be an unpredictable variable to add on to a trip

Many people here seem to have success using odansetron to curb psychedelic nausea. It seems like the idea is to take around 2mg of it about an hour before dosing, if you're suceptible to nausea.

There is also a school of thought that you shouldn't fight the nausea, that it's a healthy part of the process, and can be a purgative reflex that allows also a kind of metaphysical purge. This attitude seems really common in the ayahuasca ceremony crowd. There could be something to it. In my opinion, we are the masters of our own destiny, so if the purgative experience is something you seek, go for it, if you want to skip it, that's cool too.

I couldn't imagine adding this to a trip, even in small doses. I use diphenhydramine as a sleep aid from time to time (its whats in every OTC sleep aid) and at 50mg, I get odd feelings in my joints especially my extremities when I stay up too long after dosing. Not to mention some slight visual artifacts. I find that when I use it as a sleep aid, from time to time the weird feelings I get in my joints actually prevents me from sleeping, I end up with a weird body sensation almost like im riding a wave that comes and goes as well.

Your mileage may vary of course and I know we're not talking about using it as a sleep aid, but I think even at low doses the (side)effects other than quelling nausea arent anything Id want interfering with my trip. Just my two cents.

100% know what you mean, I would not take benadryl before a trip, its unsettling on its damn own even in small doses.