• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

n-Butanol / n-butyl alcohol

...N-pentanol is as far as I went with longer chain simple alcohols, and it was my favorite of them, and didn't produce a hangover at all.

Hey, I have stumbled upon the opportunity to purchase 2.5L of >99% n-pentanol for a relatively fair price, however, what was the dose you used like? Is it stronger or weaker than n-butanol?

Jesus-fucking-piss-jizz n-butanol is horrible, horrible stuff to try to get down.
Stomach cramps like crazy.
Couldn't seem to stomach more than half a shot glass amount.
6/10 gabaergic buzz, similar to ethanol.
Would definitely not recommend n-butanol to anyone.

I have a big bottle of n-butanol in my lab at work... We use it as an additive to decrease the surface tension of water solutions (a 3% butanol solution has less than half the surface tension of pure water). The stuff smells really unpleasant, a lot like rancid butter. The smell is probably caused by the oxidation of butanol to butyric acid when exposed to air.

n-butanol is water soluble only up to a 6% solution, so it would have to be diluted with lots of water before ingestion, if its used as an intoxicant... It's labeled with a 'corrosive' warning sign so its probably not a good idea to drink it undiluted.

Does anyone know how large a dose would be appropriate?

I seem to recall Hammilton was the guy who tested the straight chain alcohols as intoxicants, and they're a factor of 5-10 more potent than ethanol. Don't quote me on that though.

Well it seems I would have learned my lesson, but man I was trying to sleep tonight (2 grams of theanine plus 100 mg diphenhydramine [benadryl] out of sheer desperation) and that bottle of wretched n-butanol was taunting me.

Luckily this time I had a solvent on hand to help. Propylene Glycol food grade.

I mixed 1 shot glass of Prop. Glycol and 10.2ml of n-butanol (as measured with a graduated cylinder [25ml]). Miscible, unlike water or milk.

I swigged water in my mouth and took it, and it wasn't AS bad, but not a walk in the park either.

A very warm gabaergic buzz quite distinct from ethanol. Medium sedation. Now I think I can sleep. I had to get on here and at least report it before I conk out. I'd say this buzz is better than ethanol - hard to describe - but a warm serene feeling. Tricky to get down in +5ml amounts though.

I know what butyric acid smells like exactly, because it can be a byproduct of GHB production, and I happened upon foot-long shards of it one time in my fridge due to a synth mess up.

I didn't detect that smell in my sebaceous glands, and I hope to Zeus my nose was working correctly and I didn't actually smell like a "giant shard of butyric acid walking" to others unbeknownst to me.

Haven't done it since, but in addition to what's stated above, there are "frontal lobe area" headaches to report post consumption. There was also a bit of tunnel vision effect during the high that seems absent during ethanol and 2M2B inebriation.

I know what butyric acid smells like exactly, because it can be a byproduct of GHB production,

Can it, now? How does one pull the OH off of a carbon with kitchen chemistry? (be sure to tell the ephedrine guys about that...) Or are you suggesting your GBL is contaminated with e.g. butyric anhydride? I can't rationalise a mechanism to go from GHB to butyric acid... it'd be interesting to ehar more about that.

You're not removing the OH, just the O, the H can stay :)

heating it in concentrated (98% ) H2SO4 may do it. It works to dehydrate cyclohexanol, yielding cyclohexene, though.

The resulting -ene will convert back to an alcohol upon reaction with water, though. dehydrate, rehydrate..

I don't think the method mentioned that has butyric acid as byproduct is starting from GBL. More like GABA

Hey everyone I found some cheap N-butyl alcohol I've been wanting to try it but I'm a bit worried about safety as with any new substance well I'm worried about the caustic label on it is that anything I should be worried about is it any more caustic then alcohol and will mixing it with juice help or is it Dangerous