• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

n-Butanol / n-butyl alcohol

Gaz_hmmmm

Bluelighter
I was looking at this molecule and looking at GHB and 1.4 - Butanediol and thinking surely it'd be easy to synthesise G' from this stuff?

But that's another thread!

My point is... if you had this stuff would it have a 1.4B/GBL effect and turn into GHB in the body or even turn into 1.4B?

NO I DO NOT HAVE ANY n-BUTANOL / n-BUTYL ALCOHOL AND AM NOT GOING TO TRY IT!

N-Butanol / n-butyl alcohol
200px-Butan-1-ol-2D-skeletal.png

1.4-Butanediol
200px-1%2C4-butanediol.png

GHB acid (As in not Na-GHB)
200px-4-hydroxybutanoic-acid.png

So what do you guy's think?

The new 1.4B/GBL or just a chemist's precursor to GHB?

My point is... if you had this stuff would it have a 1.4B/GBL effect and turn into GHB in the body or even turn into 1.4B?

No and no. It would metabolize first into butanal (butyraldehyde) and then to butyric acid. Sans the 4-hydroxy. Also it would likely not produce the same effects as GHB, being a simple primary alcohol it will probably act much in the same way as ethanol.

On the other hand, if you had GHB butyl ester, you could have the best of both worlds... (1-butoxy-4-hydroxybutan-1-one)

N-butanol is perfectly active. It has effects very similar to ethanol, but better, IMHO. It's substantially more potent, and doesn't seem to have as bad a hangover.

N-pentanol is as far as I went with longer chain simple alcohols, and it was my favorite of them, and didn't produce a hangover at all. Then again, I didn't have that much, and I didn't get to indulge as much as I did with butanol.

There are some papers regarding n-butanol metabolism, but all I remember is that simple straight chain alcohols were much safer than branched equivalents.

Ever smelled n-butanol/butralkdehyde/butyric acid? Rancid isn't close to describing their smell - def wouldnb't ingest any. As for the rest, I cite the BLUA - No synthesis discussion

I must be one of the few people who like the smell of butanoic acid... but then ethanoic/propanoic acid imo have the greatest taste/smells out of everything in the entire world :)

N-butanol is perfectly active. It has effects very similar to ethanol, but better, IMHO. It's substantially more potent, and doesn't seem to have as bad a hangover.

N-pentanol is as far as I went with longer chain simple alcohols, and it was my favorite of them, and didn't produce a hangover at all. Then again, I didn't have that much, and I didn't get to indulge as much as I did with butanol.

There are some papers regarding n-butanol metabolism, but all I remember is that simple straight chain alcohols were much safer than branched equivalents.

This makes me wonder why these aren't more widely abused. Alcohol you don't need to pay tax on that doesnt give a hangover ought to be a big draw for people >.>

Dude, just for your information -- methanol is metabolized by alcohol dehydrogenase in the body into formaldehyde, which is PCP buddy. So if you drink CH3OH you are going to experience effects similar to ethanol intoxication followed by effects reminiscent of PCP.

PCP is not formaldehyde.

There is definitely confusion on the street about the two, but the two are very different compounds, with different effect. I've never been sure why there was such confusion, and frankly never cared.

Formaldehyde is a short-lived intermediate in the metabolism of methanol anyway, on it's way to formate - which is responsible for the more relevant effects of methanol, permanent blindness and death.

Last edited:
Dude, just for your information -- methanol is metabolized by alcohol dehydrogenase in the body into formaldehyde, which is PCP buddy.

Please go back to BDD...

120px-Formaldehyde-2D.svg.png

120px-Phencyclidine_structure.svg.png

Can you guess which is which?

Dude, just for your information -- methanol is metabolized by alcohol dehydrogenase in the body into formaldehyde, which is PCP buddy. So if you drink CH3OH you are going to experience effects similar to ethanol intoxication followed by effects reminiscent of PCP.

No you'll just go blind & possibly die (horribly through acidosis from formic acid)

Just being a dick, sorry gentlemen. I was just trying to see what kind of response that would elicit -- if I had read a post like mine I would have had an aneurysm and just thought it would be kind of funny.

Either

a) you should learn to use smileys when posting jokes or

b) you're just trying to cover for yourself... "oh, I posted some crap and got called for it, I better pretend I was just joking" =D

Please, bring the topic back to butanol:

Personally I'd never have resistance for the smell of butanol/oic acid :S they're too rancid for me to take.

All the higher alcohols work as cns depressants to some degree, with some eg 1-ethynyl-1-cyclohexanol being very efficient sedatives (1g will pin most people to the floor!)

1-ethynyl-1-cyclohexanol being very efficient sedatives (1g will pin most people to the floor!)

Make a GHB ester out of that one... =D

I have also tried 1-butanol. A dose of 2ml felt similar to drinking a beer or so. But I must say, the smell is nothing like butanoic acid at all, it just smells alcoholic-y. I would almost say it smells nicer than 2-propanol for example. And the taste is pretty well masked by some grapefruit tonic.

Speaking of simple alcohols, as I have mentioned before, I also have tried 2-methyl-3-butyn-2-ol, an analog of methylpentynol. It has a truly truly awful taste. A dose is perhaps 1-3ml, but I found that the buzz is actuallt not very nice. And it seems slightly toxic as well.

1-ethynyl-1-cyclohexanol has a menthol type taste and is (according to people who like downers that I gave some to) a very nice buzz. The aftertaste is annoying but seems people are willing to put up with it for the effect (it's carbamate ester is a Class C CD in the UK)

^ That was the one I wanted to give a try next. I'm a little leary about taking it will on suboxone, but it seems like the best of the depressants I haven't tried.