• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Education my school blog: help me get good grades + listen to me bitch

Ah man. I'm so sorry to hear about that. I only just saw your post above with the 87% and got all exited for you but then scrolled down to see this. Sorry my man. Holding thumbs for you that option 2 isn't an option and doesn't happen. We all know how much of a shit you gave about this.

And not to butt in here or go too far with this: but your professor should be more concerned about you and how whatever beef he may have will affect his students and not the other way around. Not that this statement of mine will change anything unfortunately. But just giving an opinion. But admittedly don't know how colleges and schools work over there (although I do see some alarming news re: these school boards etc. from time to time).
Yeah, I kinda thought the same thing, but figured it must be something important if he was willing to bail on a semester. That said, he is still offering to do it all virtual, so, as long as they allow him to, no harm no foul. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Got the good news today that after my Communications teacher resigned, we are going to be taught by another professor for the remainder of the semester.

I was really worried that the class would be ended prematurely and all my hard work would be for naught, but luckily the school instead gave my class to another professor. Yay! Class resumes on Wednesday.

FUCK! Man, I'm slipping up. After missing a couple classes last week during the move, I came back in on Monday and met the new professor, and then today promptly overslept and missed class again. I think he kinda went over everything we need to do for our grades, and he told me that my grade was actually way higher than most of my classmates. But I'm still so mad at myself. I keep thinking I can sleep in and shit and forgetting about class when I have days off. In reality I have NO days off, I have to stay focused.

But I can't seem to. Man maybe I'm not ready for any of this and never will be, perhaps I should just get back into cabling and being a regular working joe. I don't think I'm capable of counseling anyone at this juncture of my life anyway... Disappointed in myself once again. Fuck.

First year undergrad you’re kind of expected to miss a class here and there. I hated it at first but it gets kind of rewarding as you go on. Ask a classmates or check blackboard for your course.

FUCK! Man, I'm slipping up. After missing a couple classes last week during the move, I came back in on Monday and met the new professor, and then today promptly overslept and missed class again. I think he kinda went over everything we need to do for our grades, and he told me that my grade was actually way higher than most of my classmates. But I'm still so mad at myself. I keep thinking I can sleep in and shit and forgetting about class when I have days off. In reality I have NO days off, I have to stay focused.

But I can't seem to. Man maybe I'm not ready for any of this and never will be, perhaps I should just get back into cabling and being a regular working joe. I don't think I'm capable of counseling anyone at this juncture of my life anyway... Disappointed in myself once again. Fuck.
Dude you're a smart guy.

If you believe you can do an awesome good job, U will do an awesome good job!

You've missed a few classes, and now you're trippin' because you feel behind. So stop missing classes!

Look at your enthusiasm in the beginning of the thread - it was infectious. Just remember how well you were doing on your midterm grade...

I truly believe you got this, if you wanna have it 👍🏼

No man, you started out totally with the right attitude, why you trippin’ all of the sudden?

If you believe you can do an amazing job, U will do an amazing job.

If you’re tripping, find out what has changed since the beginning of this thread that makes you feel unworthy of committing and achieving success.

I think
Dude you're a smart guy.

If you believe you can do an awesome good job, U will do an awesome good job!

You've missed a few classes, and now you're trippin' because you feel behind. So stop missing classes!

Look at your enthusiasm in the beginning of the thread - it was infectious. Just remember how well you were doing on your midterm grade...

I truly believe you got this, if you wanna have it 👍🏼
Thank you so much for the positivity. I kinda needed it. I guess I'm down on myself a bit because when I started this thread I was completely sober, and now that I'm not anymore I'm questioning my fitness for it and feeling like that's what's causing me to fuck up. I've got work I need to catch up on for English class. It's not that much but I'm feeling lost in that class, the zoom setting I think is throwing me off, and my teacher has yet to put up all of the lectures she's done and I missed a couple. It feels like she didn't really tell us much, then uploaded all of the assignments just the other day, and expects us to get on all of them in a short period.

Thank you so much for the positivity. I kinda needed it. I guess I'm down on myself a bit because when I started this thread I was completely sober, and now that I'm not anymore I'm questioning my fitness for it and feeling like that's what's causing me to fuck up. I've got work I need to catch up on for English class. It's not that much but I'm feeling lost in that class, the zoom setting I think is throwing me off, and my teacher has yet to put up all of the lectures she's done and I missed a couple. It feels like she didn't really tell us much, then uploaded all of the assignments just the other day, and expects us to get on all of them in a short period.
Not every teacher will have a flow that fits the way you like. Sometimes you gotta over compensate for their lack of effort.

What are you on BTW?

A couple different things, but primarily have started doing DMT semi regularly, which isn't super problematic. But I've started doing ketamine again, which I've found can become problematic for me because I get sucked into the experience and forget about my real life responsibilities, and dissociatives have a tendency to make me manic if I get to into them. I'm out of my stash for now aside from what I'm taking tonight so I'll probably go on a little break from it. May get either some more k or some 3hopcp when I get paid again, but until then I'll probably chill on it.

As well I've started taking benzos occasionally again.

You just had a major change in your life. Your own place...the prospect of a counseling job...writing that term paper and talking in front of the class. That's a lot of change in a short period of time. Lots of stress.

Try and take a look at why you are oversleeping. Not getting enough rest? Medication issues? I think you have come a long way and deserve every good thing that happens to you. So you fucked up. Learn from it and try and figure it out. I want to see you get everything you have been working so hard for. If after a few more weeks you find that it's not what you want.....decide then. Give it a bit more time. I see a lot of potential in you that you aren't seeing in yourself right now .

How many assignments do you need to complete and what's the timeframe?

I see a lot of potential in you that you aren't seeing in yourself right now .
Agreed! 👏🏼

How many assignments do you need to complete and what's the timeframe?

Agreed! 👏🏼
It's an annotated bibliography and a rough draft on a paper about mythology. We are having a meeting session on Tuesday where she'll tell us about our progress and what all we still need to complete. It's not a hard deadline, but I'd like to have at least something to show for it. I've also got to do my usual weekly assignments for Human services, and I need to start preparing for a persuasive speech in communications that will be on the 22nd

Remind me again, how long do you have left to study?
So I've got my regular human services work that's due every week, shouldn't take too long. I've got to make a rough draft and annotated bibliography for an English paper by Tuesday, although it's not a hard deadline she just wants to advise us on how we're doing. Nothing too crazy but I'm having a hard time getting motivated right now.

He @deficiT, one thing I found that helped in undergrad was to make a friend in each class. That way you can cover for each other in the off case that one of you misses lecture. If you sleep in or miss class, call the friend and ask to copy their notes from that day. Then if they do the same, you can provide notes because there is no way the two of you would ever miss the same class on the same day. Okay, I was kidding in my last statement, but it really helped me when I missed lecture for whatever reason. I would only recommend not using it as a substitute for going to class or as a crutch, only as a tool in your toolbox to be used sparingly when needed.

The topic of mythology is kind of broad, and I'm assuming it stems from the book mythology. I've never read that book, but just choose a theme from it. Cliff's notes used to list themes in their paraphernalia. Then expand on it and voice your opinion as well as other articles, books whose authors do stuff on that topic. When you do that, you have a source for your bibliography. A bibliography is different from a works cited in that you don't have to cite it yet, unless your prof wants that. Just reference the book or articles in your bibliography in APA format.

The topic of mythology is kind of broad, and I'm assuming it stems from the book mythology. I've never read that book, but just choose a theme from it. Cliff's notes used to list themes in their paraphernalia. Then expand on it and voice your opinion as well as other articles, books whose authors do stuff on that topic. When you do that, you have a source for your bibliography. A bibliography is different from a works cited in that you don't have to cite it yet, unless your prof wants that. Just reference the book or articles in your bibliography in APA format.
Yeah, right on man. My teacher is doing everything in MLA since it's an English paper.

But the good news is that I got the annotated bibliography done for a couple different website sources I found.

I have chosen my topic and everything, which will be Thor. Now on to the hard stuff, use these sources and others to try and formulate a 500 word rough draft by Monday. Amongst my other class work I've gotta keep up with. Got a reflective essay due for communications as well.

How bout Thor symbolism? Find some journal articles. They’re more credible than websites.
How would I find journal articles? Is there like a hub of them somewhere?

How would I find journal articles? Is there like a hub of them somewhere?

Try your colleges library homepage. Get lost in the library. Or even ask a librarian.
This ^^

Ask a librarian how to access your university's journal databases. One called JSTOR is a database I frequently used for social sciences but it's been a decade since I did any journal research. Most journal databases like JSTOR charge big bucks for non-students to access. It really is a fleecing. They will charge up to $50 just to access a single journal article but if you have university credentials as a student, it's all free.

Regardless of which database you have access to, they will have search filters available. So you can just type "Thor" and other related words in order to search article titles or content that have any mention of Thor and whatever other search criteria you type in.

This ^^

Ask a librarian how to access your university's journal databases. One called JSTOR is a database I frequently used for social sciences but it's been a decade since I did any journal research. Most journal databases like JSTOR charge big bucks for non-students to access. It really is a fleecing. They will charge up to $50 just to access a single journal article but if you have university credentials as a student, it's all free.

Regardless of which database you have access to, they will have search filters available. So you can just type "Thor" and other related words in order to search article titles or content that have any mention of Thor and whatever other search criteria you type in.
I can always just use the database to find relevant articles or books that look good and then go download them off pdf-drive. That's generally how I get all my books and things, but don't tell anyone 🧐