• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone insomnia?

Some form of decriminalisation has been adopted in 30 countries.
  • Antigua + Barbuda
  • Argentina
  • Armenia
  • Australian States: South Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Australia
  • Belize
  • Bolivia
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Estonia
  • Germany
  • Italy
  • Jamaica
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • Paraguay
  • Peru
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • South Africa
  • Spain
  • Switzerland
  • USA
  • Virgin Islands and Uruguay

Hi. I have recently stopped methadone after 6 years and wish I knew since I jumped off 7 days ago I have slightly gotten better but I still can't stop restless body and legs and have had less that 4 hours sleep in a week. Does anyone know how long to expect this or does it differ from person to person. Also I was on 140 and tapered down to ten before stopping. Thanks. Any suggestions appreciated. Stu

Methadone doesn't fully peak until like day 9 or 10, so it might get worse unfortunately.

The whole acute withdrawal phase lasts a good 3-4 weeks total, follow the post acute.

I'm just say I'm totally jealous. I started 6 yrs ago and tapered from 140 to ten and jumped off a week or so ago. I'm sorta over the nausea but the restless legs , insomnia and severe anxiety are bloody unbearable. I've seen the doc and he says all I can do is go back on the 'liquid handcuffs' . I'm determined to go through this. Do you think it must differ on personality etc or am I doing something wrong. Ty
I don't know if personality has anything to do with it but I was at 100 and I decided to go down 1 mg to see what would happen and it didn't bother me. Now I was going every two weeks because I would get take home bottles, so I went down another 1 and again no problem. After that I went down 3 to make it an even 5 so at 95 every two weeks I would go down another 5 until I got down to 10 and I just stopped going. I do remember when I stopped going after my last 10 dose I did feel sick for a while but I don't know if I was actually having a physicl withdrawl because of the lack of it being in my system or if it was just a mental thing because I was so use to it being a regular habbit. My sickness was more moody and cranky. Good luck with it, you'll be so glad to not have to worry about sickness and taking your dose everyday once you get comfortable enough to put an end to it already.

Last edited: