Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mescaline questions

Nederlander

Greenlighter
I have a few questions about mescaline?
a. Is it good for a first ever trip, having only cannibis and nitrous
b. is it bad for under 18's?
Sorry about my english

I'd say it is good for a first timer, it's very gentle (yet powerful).

As for under 18s.. it's impossible to know when anyone would be ready.

15 is very young to be in drugs altogether, but Im not here to judge.

Unless I am dead before hand, I would wait till one is older as you are more likley to gain more from the experience. I would say mid 20's would be ideal, purley personal preference, but I feel that as mescaline is not the kind of thing that would be taken regularly, I feel its best to wait it out till you have experienced alot of life and have a solid grounding.

But, if your set on taking it sooner rather than later, yes I belive it to be a good first timer.

The mescaline content of San Pedro which is 0.21 - 1.8% is slightly more consistant than the Peruvian Torch Variety, so is favoured as you are more likley to get a decent dose. But tbh, both are too similar to worry about.

Hey man, I'm also a nederlander (serieus) - let me send you a message, I can probably help you with questions you might have. :) In our native language.

Last edited:
Hey about the age question - I don't think it's age so much as maturity that affects whether or not someone is ready to take drugs.
I know people in their 50's who are too immature to be taking drugs and I know a 16 year old who is vastly mature and wise who I would be happy to give drugs to.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with this last post but I don't think maturity is that simple. There are always teenagers who either themselves claim that they are quite mature for their age or even people around them can consider them to be mature. But maturity, indicating a progress or process, coming of age and integrating a complete identity... it has many aspects like an intellectual side, emotional, philosophical, etc.

Honestly, I would hesitate to say that some person appears to be quite mature for their age and therefore fit/ready to take a drug because it just takes a certain time for a person to develop and that can go in an asynchronous way.

Granted, the age of 18 is somewhat arbitrary, I still feel that it is a good age to draw a line and say: just to be sure let's say even young people who appear to be mature just don't start with things heavier than an occasional beer (still, don't abuse alcohol its a harddrug) and the occasional joint...

I am not saying turning 18 is a guarantee that you are ready, I am saying just don't take the chance under 18 because there is no hurry and you have a phase in your life to complete before complicating things.

And this is coming from someone who has always been mature for his age and even tested to be put ahead a class in school, etc. I waited until 18 with harddrugs and was definitely happy I did.

In any case your brain will not be fully developed yet. Make of that what you will, my opinions echo those of the previous posters so I won't get into that.

Is any psychedelic good for a first experience? Should you be tripping before you've fully developed who you are in "reality"? Well, maybe/maybe not, and maybe/maybe not.

The real question is: will you be able to be a completely normal and functioning member of society afterwards?..maybe/maybe not.

Btw: mescaline is my all time favorite; which, shouldn't actually mean anything/glad I could help.

Well, most would consider it to be not a typical one (a directly serogonergic one like a PEA, tryptamine or acid). Without any experience it can definitely be trippy but weed is also stimulant, sedative and dissociative - basically almost everything in one.
(Oh I don't mean to say that with experience it's not trippy anymore but if you smoke often that super intense effect definitely diminishes).

Oral weed (space cake, hash brownies etc) those can produce a full-on trip. Well, perhaps smoking as well sometimes... still oral cannabis seems like another ballpark.

About your brain development: that is said to continue until around 25 - I don't think people should purposely wait until then, it could be beneficial to do it before then to really learn some things and change your paradigm and hardwire it better. But before your 18th doesn't seem like a good plan for the reasons I mentioned.

Just in case you experience a full trip and get a lot of ego softening you should definitely have an integrated ego to begin with to give you a sort of life-wire to everyday life with your feet on the ground. Don't get me wrong, a view beyond your ego is significant and you can learn from it but it is just as important to take the 18 years of time to try and complete as well as possible that concept you are looking beyond.

Hopefully you get what I mean...

Anyway I think he meant he tried cannabis and nitrous already so your suggestion wouldn't be that useful.
I am curious, will it be in cactus form or synthetic mescaline you have access to? Be aware that in cactus form the preparation needs to be done very well to get a good experience, and extraction is IMO important - I tried to make a concoction but it was a real pain in the ass to remove water without burning the stuff.

If it's synthetic I'd find it a great achievement that a 15-y.o. Dutchman would find that, possibly as one of the first things to take!

Remember that cactus or synthetic will not go bad unless you let fresh cactus die and rot, so you can just wait a little longer. :)

Last edited:
I think that San Pedro is a perfect first-time psychedelic.
I have never managed to trip too hard on it, despite consuming 30cm or more of cactus flesh.
But it is always worthwhile and beneficial.

That said, 15 is pretty young. If possible, it is better to wait until your brain is more fully developed.
(Admittedly, I first tripped on acid when I was 17, but I was too young to really get so much out of it.)

Something I was pondering last night:

I've started everything relatively young. Alchohol by 13, weed by 14, (a lot of) pills and nitrous by 15, mushrooms by 16, speed by 17 etc etc
Anyway, perhaps it would have been better if I had waited because both taking drugs and growing up change your perceptions of life greatly. I find it very difficult to differentiate between drug induced changes in personality/perception and those changes which have simply been caused by growing up and learning.

On the other hand, drugs have provided me with an incredibly fun and enlightening youth. They have helped me with my self esteem and depression issues with lasting positive effects.
Although I did start young, I'm not utterly filled with regret and very, very rarely feel negative psychological effects from my drug use.

So there was just a thought for you.......

Last edited:
I sometimes feel like: if I took mushrooms when I was 16-17 my life would have been extremely different for sure, some years wouldn't have been completely wasted and maybe I would be a healthier person today.
on the other hand: there's no way to know whether I could have accepted the experience or not.
it's probably very difficult to find out if you're ready for psychedelics or not. you just can't have the slightest idea about what to expect...an experienced tripper might feel if a person is ready or not though...

ah btw: I started drinking alcohol excessively when I was 13 too (wine-growing country..) and I can say for sure that this turned out absolutely catastrophic for my development. alcohol was/is literally a depressant for me.

I was tripping hard on shrooms, salvia and smoking weed daily at the age of 13/14 and Im FiNe HAHA ALDHJlkhah

srsly tho

I've had issues in my life that i feel those trips on shrooms really helped mend and fix. They shifted my perspective in such a (positive) way that was really beneficial to my existence at the time.

Glad I did it.

Just my 2 cents and not everyone is the same, obviously. Im not here to psychoanalyse you, i wouldnt advise for or against. Thats for you to decide, based on how you feel yourself.

15 is very young to be in drugs altogether, but Im not here to judge.

i was 16 when i first tryed LSD and i dont think i was ready for it , it gave me the trip from hell i almost killed my self.but yer i was 15 when i was downing DXM.

if you havent tryed acid or shit before maybe give DXM a go its quite euforic and in larger doses it can be VERY trippy.

hope this helps

me and my good friends were around the age of 14 -16 when we did most of our experimenting with drugs.

I feel that psychedelics were extremely more beneficial to me at that younger age, as now, 10 years later, psychedelics are more "analytical" and less "magical" than they were back then.

When I was younger, every experience was a spiritual endeavor. I mean, I could eat acid, walk around aimlessly all night with my friends, and when the cops did come and interact with us, we were always so young and innocent they didnt think twice, we could also use ridiculous excuses like "we have been up all night playing video games" with our parents and have them not think twice.

Another great thing about tripping when your young is this...

Think about how many interesting places you went to or walked/rode bikes by when you were younger compared to now. As a kid we walk around to explore, to find something to do etc, so we always end up finding all sorts of interesting places that were NOT originally our planned destination.

As you get older, we tend to drive places, when driving places we mostly do it as a means of travel, not a means of adventure, thus we are more foccussed on our destination than any interesting places we find on the way to it.

Just in general as a younger person psychedelics have always been more fun than they are as I have gotten older.

Also, if you somehow fuck up and take to much and do something stupid (which luckily no one in my group of tripping friends ever did) and get caught doing it, at least you are still a minor lol

But seriously, I enjoyed drugs at a younger age more than I do now, but THATS ME, and I HAVE HAD LOTS OF PROBLEMS IN MY LIFE THAT HAVE SPRUNG DIRECTLY FROM DRUG USE, as well as some social anxieties etc.... These problems I have could be directly related to taking drugs when I was young. BUT I DONT REGRET IT AT ALL.

Just dont use my experience as the decision factor for your decision about taking drugs while young.

The question you have to ask yourself: do I want to completely and permanently shatter my perception of the world?

If not, don't touch psychedelics until the answer is a resounding "yes." And, when the answer is "yes," be prepared to live with the consequences.