• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Uncontrollable Shaking/Twitching/Muscle Spasms on Weed

Is it normal?? (uncontrollable muscle spasm,twitching,shaking..)

When i smoke weed, at one point every muscle in my body will start twitching one after the other (like one at the time from my fingers to my shoulder, and then from my foot to my hips and so on). And sometime it's like my muscles all shake a little at the same time over and over again.

Is it normal??

Sometimes happens to me. I don't find it annoying, however I don't think it's normal. ;)

Although not that common I myself do actually think it is fairly normal and isn't anything to worry about. When I smoke a decent amount I can start shivering violently like I've just been thrown outside naked in the freezing cold. Even if I wrap myself with a blanket it takes a while for the shaking to settle down but is definitely annoying. It is the cannabis and the cold that causes it for me, but it is quite benign and so doesn't concern me at all since it doesn't mean I'm having a seizure or anything silly like that. You get used to smoking and it stops happening eventually I found, but YMMV like always.

There's a mega shaking/twitching/shivering thread iirc. Maybe it no longer exists, I don't know.

Its normal enough that we have a a whole MEGA THREAD on this issue.

Which is where im merging this thread...

Hey people! It's my first post here and I need some help. I'm 17 years old and I'm 55kg (121 lbs I think).

Last December I smoked weed crystals (took several hits unfortunately) (I dunno if it's the right word) and I've experienced severe panic attack. I felt my heartbeat racing and thought I was going to die. My vision was kind of frame to frame and all the normal things that happen when weed hits you badly I guess. But the worst part was a "wave" of dormancy and tinglingness that came from the bottom of my left foot and stayed in my leg during the trip (it's sounds weird but that's what happened).
The following days, that feeling on my left leg was still there. I was so anxious about it that I couldn't sleep and experienced dizziness and light-headness like I was still high. I had to tell my sister and she said she couldn't do anything for me. Anyway, she said we should wait and see what happened. A week after I smoked weed the feeling was there. It was horrible: I couldn't do anything normal...the only thing I could do was sitting on the sofa thinking of when it was going away. I was really paranoid about it. That was time to go to the doctor and she did me some kind of physical tests showing me that everything was on my head and almost instantly the feeling faded away!
Still, she prescribed me Victan (ethyl loflazepate) and I took it during 3 weeks.

Well, few months later I was diagnosed with depression due to several existential crisis and anxiety because of the highschool final exams (I'm applying to medicine school) Currently, I'm taking 100mg of Sertraline a day.

10 days ago, I went to dinner with some friends of mine and, at the end, they started smoking hash. At the time, I just felt that nothing could beat me and everything was going to be okay (I already have checked any possible interaction between marijuana and anti-depressants). I took 2 or 3 hits but nothing happened even like 30 or 40 min after that.

We went to a quiet bar and there they started to roll a joint (I think it was synthetic cannabis). Again, I got that feeling that everything was going to be okay and that experience wouldn't happen again. I just took 1 hit and about 10 mins later I started to feel high. I was enjoying it a bit but then the anxiety and paranoia came after. I started to have bad thoughts but it wasn't as bad as the other time, definitely. Actually, I felt the "wave" of dormancy on both of my legs but the surprising fact was that nothing "stayed" there. A bit after I was okay and quite good and optmistic about the fact nothing serious happened. Still, I obsessed a bit about checking every minute if my left leg was fine.

I went home and I slept well. When I woke up, I realized nothing was wrong with my leg and I remember saying to myself "See, nothing happened!" and a few minutes later the feeling came! It's a bit different...It's like I've been jogging for 3 hours and my foot is super tired and weak.
It isn't as bad as the other time and I can study, eat, do everything normally and the feeling is mainly on my left foot and it's quite bearable. There were some days I took Victan but it didn't do anything effective.
I can cope it with quite well comparing to the other time but I getting worried that this Sh*t isn't going away!
I didn't want to tell my parents about this (they know what happened few months ago) because I don't want to disappoint them but I guess I'll have to tell my sister on Friday. But still, isn't there a way that I can stop this from happening NOW and the next times I smoke weed? I don't smoke it due to peer-pressure but I admit I just want to know why people like weed so much! But I start to think it isn't just for me.

Please, what do I do? I think I'll start to self-medicate with Victan from today and see what happens because the other time calmed me down and helped me a lot.

I know probably it's all in my head but that's easier said than done because I haven't found a way of stopping this!

Answer quickly, please!

Sorry for the long post but I just put here everything that may be helpful on this situation.

Last edited:
My advice would be dont smoke pot if it's making you freak out that bad. As for your foot, you might be panicking, give it sometime. If you really freak out then go have someone look at it. I wouldn't let the Dr.s put you on drugs, especially anti-depressents just because you smoked and freaked out. The only thing that's going to make you feel better is staying away from weed completely, you will go back to normal. Dont get so stressed out about final exams, it's not worth screwing up your health. Just do your best and that's all you can do. Unless you feel like there's a strong reason to be on sertraline, I would recommend getting off it. Unless you had depression before the incident, which it doesn't sound like.

"I was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy...waiting for my prescription to be filled..."

Seriously though, I was standing in back of this 30-35 yr old chick & she was picking up 30 pills of some antibiotic that her ins. wouldn't cover. Guess why? 30 pills = $1900!! Can you believe that shit? When it was my turn (that chick said she'd be back), I said how expensive that was. The pharmacist said that they have some pills that are 30 = $5000-$6000!! & people say the pharmaceutical companies aren't ripping people off (R & M).

No, I didn't have depression before the incident but I think that experience just exploited all my fears and anxiety. But the depression was diagnosed about 5 months later and it has nothing to do with the incident. Yeah, I shall stay away from weed. I guess the next time (if there's next time) I'll do it on a calm place with experienced people. I knew all about mind setting stuff but, at the moment, I just...forgot it and didn't care. Stupid I am lol

The only thing that worries me is this feeling being here for so much time...I mean, people may have bad experiences with weed or alcohol for example but the next days they go back to normal. But this doesn't go away and seems to take a long time to...

But thanks for the reply :)

Whoah! That same thing happens to me every day. I miss cannabis and smoking with my family and bf. I can't anymore. Almost makes me want to cry

Weed in some people seems to be a stimulant, especially if their nervous system is already strung out. Sativas are usually worse for those people but even indicas can be triggering.

One thing I've noticed is that people who get hyperactive from weed get the same reaction from taking sleeping pills: it just makes them alert and wired, but insomnia is unaffected. In the same people, if you give them a micro-dose of a stimulant like caffeine, they get sleepy.

I don't really know the reason for all this, probably the way their liver enzymes metabolize things, but it's something I've for sure noticed.

Strong weed often gives me the shakes even if I'm not anxious or feeling at all bad. It's sort of like the shakes when you're really cold - and maybe in fact that's what it is since weed has hypothermic properties and I don't think I can recall a time when it happened outside under the sun on a hot day in the middle of summer.

As for why I never felt cold/freezing while shaking, weed tends to make me more oblivious to the cold, probably due to its painkilling effects, and as such the shakes might be your body's reaction to being cold while your mind doesn't even know you are.

There are definitely active compounds in bong smoke that my Volcano doesn't get even set at the usual 420F. I haven't smoked bong in so long because of the Volcano, but I just took 4 hits after cleaning it out of some wonderful blue cheese strain. I'm extremely stoned, like I've lost all my tolerance to these compounds that are active at higher temperatures, and I'm tripping balls so hard that I've decided to start swigging out of my 40 oz jager and start blasting techno! Yeah! Either that or my girlfriend smoked 5-meo-dmt out of the bong without letting me know about it.

The day after I read this thread, I toked some hash with my boyfriend.it made me twitch for the first time. I used to just get these painful muscle spasms. Starting to think its all in the head

The day after I read this thread, I toked some hash with my boyfriend.it made me twitch for the first time. I used to just get these painful muscle spasms. Starting to think its all in the head

Smart lady!! At least you realize it's in your head. That's excellent!! Now just enjoy your weed high with no guilt whatsoever, as you have nothing to feel

Smart lady!! At least you realize it's in your head. That's excellent!! Now just enjoy your weed high with no guilt whatsoever, as you have nothing to feel

I don't believe it's "All in your head"

This is a really long thread and I don't know if anyone has brought it up. So I guess I will.

Specifically made an account to respond on this thread lol.

I recently grew a very strong Indoor Sativa - Lemon Skunk. Her leaves gave me the notion that she was in fact a Sativa. Not a normal Indica/Hybrid that I usually grow. She also took a little bit longer than the others. Got the strain from the dispensary along with all my other strains.

When I first tried her, I took a couple hits because I have a sinus infection going on and didn't want to cause anymore issue.

The high was nice and normal. I had no weird side effects, aside from the normal high.

She was grown under a 600w HPS in fox farm organic soil. She was also vegged in this for about 3 months.

Flushed with RO water and Molasses. Dried in a properly ventilated and humid room. To remove Chlorophyll and anything else left in the bud, You actually want your flower to be yellow. The THC isn't in the flower it's on the flower. The nitrogen helps the plant create Chlorophyll for photosynthesis. Chlorophyll (Green color in leaves is nitro/chloro) is not needed during the smoke phase and only makes the smoke harsh. So why smoke green bud?

The smoke came out amazzzzing. It's actually stronger than the dispense and I'm afraid of it lol.

The reason being is when I smoked a quarter joint of it my high came on pretty quick. It was obviously stronger and the high was intense. Out of this world feeling, it felt like someone was stripping my spirit from my body.

After about 30 minutes to an hour of this. My body started to shake like I was real cold. So I covered up. After that happening my body started to have seizure like feelings. I've personally never had a seizure but my body was jerking and twitching really bad.

My mom said all in my head. Which was fine because I knew I was high and Cannabis makes you feel this way.

What wasn't all in my head was my bodys response to high THC.

And I'll tell you why

For awhile now I have been struggling to gain weight/body fat. I weigh 130lbs and I'm 6"1'. I'm a health food nut and try to only eat good foods (Non gmo, No MSG, No fructose, etc).

Here's the kicker and why I think this might happen to others, other than the fact it's a Sativa. Because I can't count the amount of times I have smoked a Sativa and called the ambulance lmfao.

THC has it's own Cannabinoid receptor on the nervous system. THC sticks to fat. Now if your Cannabinoid system gets completely filled with THC. The next spot it will go is fat. If you don't have fat? Well I think this is why we get the jerks/twitching. The next spot it goes is back on the Cannabinoid system. It's like a bunch of kids trying to sit on 1 seat. I can't 100% verify this but I believe they start to stack and can't find anywhere else to go. Especially if you're skinny like me and don't have body weight/fat.

So the jerking/twitching you are experiencing actually isn't in your head. It's you over dosing on a non toxic drug. How can you overdose on something non toxic? Because of the Cannabinoid receptors and its ability to only handle so much.

Why is this now just being noticed?

Well it's kinda like how people say it's not your dads weed. It's stronger. THC isn't a bad substance, Nor if you overdose on it. These are the side effects of being "Drunk" on THC.

Kinda like calling a drinker a "Light Weight" when in fact you are Light Weight lol.

So how do you get over it?

The best method I have found is Milk. Milk hits the calcium channel pretty well and it also has fat. If you drink whole milk.

The munchies definitely help out with this. Just stay away from the junk food! lol

I have noticed this with tea. If I drink some tea that has caffeine. I'm out like a light. And I think you nailed it on the liver enzyme. Because I have liver problems.

I don't believe it's "All in your head"

This is a really long thread and I don't know if anyone has brought it up. So I guess I will.

Specifically made an account to respond on this thread lol.

I recently grew a very strong Indoor Sativa - Lemon Skunk. Her leaves gave me the notion that she was in fact a Sativa. Not a normal Indica/Hybrid that I usually grow. She also took a little bit longer than the others. Got the strain from the dispensary along with all my other strains.

When I first tried her, I took a couple hits because I have a sinus infection going on and didn't want to cause anymore issue.

The high was nice and normal. I had no weird side effects, aside from the normal high.

She was grown under a 600w HPS in fox farm organic soil. She was also vegged in this for about 3 months.

Flushed with RO water and Molasses. Dried in a properly ventilated and humid room. To remove Chlorophyll and anything else left in the bud, You actually want your flower to be yellow. The THC isn't in the flower it's on the flower. The nitrogen helps the plant create Chlorophyll for photosynthesis. Chlorophyll (Green color in leaves is nitro/chloro) is not needed during the smoke phase and only makes the smoke harsh. So why smoke green bud?

The smoke came out amazzzzing. It's actually stronger than the dispense and I'm afraid of it lol.

The reason being is when I smoked a quarter joint of it my high came on pretty quick. It was obviously stronger and the high was intense. Out of this world feeling, it felt like someone was stripping my spirit from my body.

After about 30 minutes to an hour of this. My body started to shake like I was real cold. So I covered up. After that happening my body started to have seizure like feelings. I've personally never had a seizure but my body was jerking and twitching really bad.

My mom said all in my head. Which was fine because I knew I was high and Cannabis makes you feel this way.

What wasn't all in my head was my bodys response to high THC.

And I'll tell you why

For awhile now I have been struggling to gain weight/body fat. I weigh 130lbs and I'm 6"1'. I'm a health food nut and try to only eat good foods (Non gmo, No MSG, No fructose, etc).

Here's the kicker and why I think this might happen to others, other than the fact it's a Sativa. Because I can't count the amount of times I have smoked a Sativa and called the ambulance lmfao.

THC has it's own Cannabinoid receptor on the nervous system. THC sticks to fat. Now if your Cannabinoid system gets completely filled with THC. The next spot it will go is fat. If you don't have fat? Well I think this is why we get the jerks/twitching. The next spot it goes is back on the Cannabinoid system. It's like a bunch of kids trying to sit on 1 seat. I can't 100% verify this but I believe they start to stack and can't find anywhere else to go. Especially if you're skinny like me and don't have body weight/fat.

So the jerking/twitching you are experiencing actually isn't in your head. It's you over dosing on a non toxic drug. How can you overdose on something non toxic? Because of the Cannabinoid receptors and its ability to only handle so much.

Why is this now just being noticed?

Well it's kinda like how people say it's not your dads weed. It's stronger. THC isn't a bad substance, Nor if you overdose on it. These are the side effects of being "Drunk" on THC.

Kinda like calling a drinker a "Light Weight" when in fact you are Light Weight lol.

So how do you get over it?

The best method I have found is Milk. Milk hits the calcium channel pretty well and it also has fat. If you drink whole milk.

The munchies definitely help out with this. Just stay away from the junk food! lol

You're 6' 1" tall & weigh 130 lbs? You 'health food nuts' are always the unhealthiest looking bunch I've ever seen. THIS should be your 1st priority!! Get some meat on them bones. Sounds like you can't handle your smoke...weed is the safest drug on the planet & if you 'freak out' when toking too much, you don't need to use any recreational drugs until you can control yourself a bit better. In my 43 yrs of smoking weed, sure I've gotten way too high...but I realize it's just temporary & not flip out over it.
Stick with milk & cookies. =D