• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Growing advice, tips, tricks and experience: Mark 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it isn't silly to hope to get a pound from our 10 plants... :(

The number of plants is irrelevant. You could get that from one plant if you wanted to (or even more than a pound, and that's no exaggeration - ever seen a 'tree' grow with a great phenotype cloned from a keeper mum?).

That yield i.e. 0.454g/W would be a very conservative estimate (without taking into consideration the mutiple variables that would affect the outcome). I would expect more than that possibly but it's too hard to make any concrete estimates. Experienced growers and lucky new ones routinely exceed that by quite a bit.

Yield in grams per watt is a bit unreliable though because it doesn't take into consideration veg time, phenotypes etc. for the record.

edit: I'll elaborate later if you like because I need to get to my allotment before dark!

Last edited:
It's the yield expressed in grams per watt. 0.454 g/W means 0.454 g for every watt of electricity the light consumes, and is the necessary yield for you to harvest a pound (454 g (1 lb) from 1kW).

^ kinda get it as in you're not quite sure?

I'll express it in a different way for those not so good with maths (hope you don't mind vadar, it's not a criticism of your explanation as it's essentially identical).

1 pound (1lbs) = 0.454kg

0.454kg = 454g (since there are 1000g in 1kg)

so 1 pound = 454g

You are using a 1000W light so if you want to calculate the number of grams of bud per watt of light you do this calculation -

Yield per watt of light used (in grams/watt) = total yield / light wattage

or in the theoretical example of a yield of 1lb with a 1kW lamp,

Yield per watt of light used in grams/watt (g/W) = 454g/1000W = 0.454g/W

The rough gold standard is 1g/W, but since this doesn't take into equation veg time it's a bit redundant, since a grower could veg x clone for 1 week and yield less than if they vegged x clone for 10 weeks, but this disparity in yield is no reflection of their skill or growing efficiency.

As discussed a while ago, a better estimate of growing efficiency would be grams of bud per kWh electricity used all throughout the grow (including from fans etc).

Since I am using no electical energy in my grow I would naturally beat everyone =D (sorry, couldn't help myself).

Last edited:
I still KINDA get it. So... this 454g/w staple doesn't take into account how long the veg time is, what strain, or how many plants... I just don't know where the 454grams comes from still - Are they talking about PER plant?

Well you asked if all your plants will yield a total of a pound (454g). If you translate that into grams per watt using your bulb, it would be 0.454g/W and people aim for 1g/W, which is more than double than that. So 0.454g/W is a conservative estimate.

It basically compares the end yield of the whole grow, regardless of veg time, with the wattage of the bulb you've used, when a better comparison would be to compare the end yield with the total amount of energy used all throughout the grow.

Really a more meaningful question to ask, is how much did it cost to grow x grams of bud. To calculate this you would possibly need to include equipment costs (an initial investment) and the cost of the electricity throughout the grow.

At the end of the day I'd say you could probably get more than a pound.

Edited: Just to add, the only way you'd get a pound a plant is if you grew them outside in the sun, or a single plant vegged for a long time under a powerful bulb.

Edited: I also want to say I think people obsess of exact yields far to much, instead of asking more important questions like I've mentioned.

Last edited:
Right, I think I understand why you're confused.

I think it would be best for you to forget the whole gram per watt thing because it's a stupid oversimplification anyway, and really is useless. It's just there to make some growers weigh their total weight of buds from all their buds in grams and then divide it by the wattage of their bulb and feel that they're good growers when it approaches the figure of 1g/W.

My advice is weigh the harvest at the end and it'll likely be over 1lbs (450g). Calculate how much you paid for your grow and work out if the worth of the buds was worth it.

If in future (now that you've paid for your grow equipment is paid for), if you want to work out grow costs I can give you a calculator if you find out the cost of electricity per kwh. This will tell you the cost per grow. Then divide the total weight in grams and divide by the cost of the electricity.

The gram per watt figure sort of assumes that a person will continue growing however many plants they have, whether it be 1 or 20, until the whole area is mostly filled out with foliage. But it's not exact because it takes longer to fill an area of grow space with one plant than with 20.

Basically the gram per watt figure is useless really, so don't worry.

Edited: just realized grow calculator contains seed adds I think. I sent you a PM of the link of it anyway.

Last edited:
^ By the way that website is awesome. Have a search around all the sections and try using them all. It's an incredibly useful and would be a great addition to the strain thread on BL except of the one or two pesky adds that ruin it all. I guess they have to make money to maintain the site somehow.

I wanted to post it but I think sites that contain any adds are a no no here unfortunately.

Damn, nice lookin buds prelude.
So the other day i went searching for my plants in the 100 degree heat. I planted some more after i didnt find my first patch for a while, then right after i planted them(and lost a pocket knife:!) i stumbled across the origial. Only 1 had sprouted probably due to inadaquate water. But shit im not even expecting them to grow tho, if they do, awesome, but if not...well whatare you gonna do?

^Agreed!

Ok so...2 weeks into 12/12 and our plants are doing great so far. Flowering and flourishing. They are GREEN, man. The most vivid green I've ever seen... fuckin GREEN. The supercropped plant has tons of buds on it, spread all over each individual branch. We will def. supercrop all of them next time. We are REALLY hoping for at least a pound from our 10 plants. Anyway, here are some pics. Enjoy.

NSFW:
DSCF2168.jpg
DSCF2173.jpg
DSCF2174.jpg

They're looking great. I missed that post.

Have you found my advice useful so far during your grow?

I don't think you'll be disappointed with your grow. They look impressive for a first timer (really).

Your advice is what has kept them from imploding and keeping this adventure from being a total disaster. We are very grateful for your help.

I am still a bit confused when it comes to feeding. You say, feed them when they begin to yellow which is a sign of hunger/nutrient deficiency. I understand that. What I don't understand is that they NEVER yellow. When we fed them bloom nutrients the first time, we THOUGHT they were yellowing... but to our surprise (what we found out yesterday) was the HPS light only makes them APPEAR to be yellow. When taken out of the room they are vivid, healthy green. It makes me concerned that these plants have NEVER been hungry yet. We fed them 10ml/g regardless which would explain the burnt leaf tips but its still a mystery to me. I guess the soil really does contain that many nutrients in it.

I know its tough to say and I keep dwelling on it... but judging by the height and width and health of our plants and the pics you've seen... When you say we will probably get more than a pound, how much more do you think? A little more? A pound and a half? closer to 2 pounds? I'm DYING to know!!!

The buds are tiny now - they are all about the size of a marble. We are hoping to see them grow much larger :)

3ft from the bottom of the pot?

What strain is it?

We used 1 4ft 8bulb T5 for veg (kept it VERY close to the plants, only above them by a few inches)
and one 1,000W High Pressure Sodium for flower (kept it exactly 12" above them).

About 4 ft from the bottom of the pot, 3 from above the soil. It's an Ice strain which I'm pretty sure is supposed to have few branches, so I think I should be okay. It'll make for easy manicuring anyway.

Budget CFL grow ~60 watts per plant right now. I know it sounds weak but the plants are bunched very close together in a small reflective space so they can effectively share light and theres pretty decent penetration.

I have 7 females and this is my first grow attempt so I'll be happy with a 0.5 - 0.75 lb harvest.

Last edited:
the plants I'm growing are bubba kush which is an indica strain. I could be wrong but sativa strains tend to be a bit lankier.

Your advice is what has kept them from imploding and keeping this adventure from being a total disaster. We are very grateful for your help.

I am still a bit confused when it comes to feeding. You say, feed them when they begin to yellow which is a sign of hunger/nutrient deficiency. I understand that. What I don't understand is that they NEVER yellow. When we fed them bloom nutrients the first time, we THOUGHT they were yellowing... but to our surprise (what we found out yesterday) was the HPS light only makes them APPEAR to be yellow. When taken out of the room they are vivid, healthy green. It makes me concerned that these plants have NEVER been hungry yet. We fed them 10ml/g regardless which would explain the burnt leaf tips but its still a mystery to me. I guess the soil really does contain that many nutrients in it.

I know its tough to say and I keep dwelling on it... but judging by the height and width and health of our plants and the pics you've seen... When you say we will probably get more than a pound, how much more do you think? A little more? A pound and a half? closer to 2 pounds? I'm DYING to know!!!

The buds are tiny now - they are all about the size of a marble. We are hoping to see them grow much larger :)

Okay, remind me what bloom nutrient you're using again?

Water them with nutrients at the dose you've been using and keep at that dose. Then as the slightest hint of yellowing (I doubt you'll make the HPS mistake again!), you'll definitely know the nutrients in the soil are exhausted. At that point use a tiny dose the first water and build up until it's just enough to keep them from yellowing again. As the buds get larger the nutrient requirements will increase, and the dose required to keep them healthy will naturally rise.

So lets rewind a bit so I don't have to trawl back. You're using a 1kW lamp - I know that. But -

- how big is the space?
- how many plants are there?
- how long was it from the date the clones first started showing roots until you flipped to 12/12? (basically how long was the veg period)?

Can you post another photo of all your plants in your grow space (don't take them out)?

If you can provide this info (including the photo) then I can take a stab in the dark at estimating yield but I'll probably be wrong. However you're determined for an estimate as I can see, so I'll have to just try, even though I'm not comfortable doing it (I don't mind, it's just that I think my answer will at best be an educated guess).

About 4 ft from the bottom of the pot, 3 from above the soil. It's an Ice strain which I'm pretty sure is supposed to have few branches, so I think I should be okay. It'll make for easy manicuring anyway.

Budget CFL grow ~60 watts per plant right now. I know it sounds weak but the plants are bunched very close together in a small reflective space so they can effectively share light and theres pretty decent penetration.

I have 7 females and this is my first grow attempt so I'll be happy with a 0.5 - 0.75 lb harvest.

Are you from the UK?

Last edited:
1. Nutrients - We are using CNS17 Bloom and Pure Blend Bloom (Recommended dosage for CNS17 is 25ml/g - we used 10ml/g. Recommended dosage of Pure Blend is 15ml/g - we used 5ml/g.

2. The space is 5ft long, 5ft deep, 8ft tall.

3. 10 plants (Bubba Kush)

4. We bought the clones. We were told they were "Teens" so they could have been vegging for a week or 2 before we put them in our room. We vegged them for about 10-12 days before we saw roots and flipped them.

5. Our plants in the room taken yesterday - see pic below.

NSFW:
DSCF2165.jpg

^ no, I was going to politely suggest that if you're on a budget perhaps you'd be happier if you just took the plants out and flowered them outdoors instead of under CFLs, since they are okish for vegging if nothing else is available, but not ideal for flowering at all.

But since you're not in the UK I don't think it'd be the right time.

I didn't want to diss your method of growing though mate, if you're on a budget and that's all you have to hand. Sorry I don't mean to sound negative, as I was only intending on just offering potential alternatives you might not have been aware of, but the point is moot anyway.

1. Nutrients - We are using CNS17 Bloom and Pure Blend Bloom (Recommended dosage for CNS17 is 25ml/g - we used 10ml/g. Recommended dosage of Pure Blend is 15ml/g - we used 5ml/g.

2. The space is 5ft long, 5ft deep, 8ft tall.

3. 10 plants (Bubba Kush)

4. We bought the clones. We were told they were "Teens" so they could have been vegging for a week or 2 before we put them in our room. We vegged them for about 10-12 days before we saw roots and flipped them.

5. Our plants in the room taken yesterday - see pic below.

NSFW:
DSCF2165.jpg

I would expect 200-600g. That's my best guess but I have to say I'm more likely to be wrong than right! Please don't be irritated if I'm way off for whatever reason, as I say yield estimates are so hard to make that most refuse to even make them.

By the way, are you sure the light is as close as possible? You don't want it too high (but not too close either, LOL).?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.