• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Mdma and wellbutrin?

scythetggg

Greenlighter
I’m thinking of trying mdma soon and I’m taking a break from ssris for it. Will wellbutrin change the experience at all?

Its that the effect's of Bupropion ime were unpleasant. And totally ineffective s ADHD med. So that would for me a negative touch will at least be added.

On paper Bupropion is a SNRI, NorAdrenalin is known to give that uneasy edge especially wit stimulant's, but probably aslo with MDMA. Although it seems as if the flood of Serotonin on its own overides the fight or flight response. But in reality it will probably be more complicated. Check for dangerous interaction's first. Now you also mention being on SSRI's, and taking a break from them. So are you on a SSRI and a SNRI (Bupropion)? SSRI's will totally block any MDMA effect's for quite some time I read.

Maybe someone chimes in with what more info on Bupropion and MDMA. That Bupropion raises the chance for convulsion's allready seems like a red flag.

Last edited:
One Time > 20 years ago, I took Wellbutrin with Ecstasy & LSD and experienced no ill effects from it.

I cant remember if i was on wellbutrin or not back when i took mdma it was so long ago. It could add a unpleasant stimulant edge to it though so id just skip a dose. Wellbutrin mostly acts on norepinephrine

Apparently it increases the length of subjective effects when taken together. Now i don't know about chronic use but acutely taking Wellbutrin and MDMA together:

"Bupropion reduced the MDMA-induced elevations in plasma norepinephrine concentrations and the heart rate response to MDMA. In contrast, bupropion increased plasma MDMA concentrations and prolonged its subjective effects. Conversely, MDMA increased plasma bupropion concentrations."

Its that the effect's of Bupropion ime were unpleasant. And totally ineffective s ADHD med. So that would for me a negative touch will at least be added.

On paper Bupropion is a SNRI, NorAdrenalin is known to give that uneasy edge especially wit stimulant's, but probably aslo with MDMA. Although it seems as if the flood of Serotonin on its own overides the fight or flight response. But in reality it will probably be more complicated. Check for dangerous interaction's first. Now you also mention being on SSRI's, and taking a break from them. So are you on a SSRI and a SNRI (Bupropion)? SSRI's will totally block any MDMA effect's for quite some time I read.

Maybe someone chimes in with what more info on Bupropion and MDMA. That Bupropion raises the chance for convulsion's allready seems like a red flag.
I’m getting off of ssris for a while (with the permission of my psychiatrist)! thank you, I may skip a dose or two at least of wellbutrin beforehand
(Also, I’m taking it as an antidepressant instead of an adhd med. I also didn’t notice it helping with concentration, and I even tried out concerta and focalin a while ago while on wellbutrin but stopped them because they didn’t work)

I cant remember if i was on wellbutrin or not back when i took mdma it was so long ago. It could add a unpleasant stimulant edge to it though so id just skip a dose. Wellbutrin mostly acts on norepinephrine
Thanks so much I will skip a dose!

I’m getting off of ssris for a while (with the permission of my psychiatrist)! thank you, I may skip a dose or two at least of wellbutrin beforehand
(Also, I’m taking it as an antidepressant instead of an adhd med. I also didn’t notice it helping with concentration, and I even tried out concerta and focalin a while ago while on wellbutrin but stopped them because they didn’t work)
Some SSRI's have long halflives. Fluoxetine 5/ 6 days after chronic use. Some people have normal effects after skipping their SSRI a day, or have to take a little more MDMA then their usual dose.

Fluvoxamine is a one that has the highest chance of inetraction. Due to: "agents metabolised by cytochrome P450 1A2 isoenzyme appear most likely to be involved in drug-drug interactions with fluvoxamine."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8846620/

P45 1A2 and P450 2D6 also breakdown MDMA.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18794647/

Some SSRI's have long halflives. Fluoxetine 5/ 6 days after chronic use. Some people have normal effects after skipping their SSRI a day, or have to take a little more MDMA then their usual dose.

Fluvoxamine is a one that has the highest chance of inetraction. Due to: "agents metabolised by cytochrome P450 1A2 isoenzyme appear most likely to be involved in drug-drug interactions with fluvoxamine."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8846620/

P45 1A2 and P450 2D6 also breakdown MDMA.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18794647/
Thank you! I’ll look up the half life of citalopram just in case☺️

My friend takes Wellbutrin. They stop it for 3 days before rolling and then restart 24 hours later. Have enjoyed the roll and had no problems.