• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides [LSD Subthread] SSRI Interactions

How did SSRI's and LSD interact for you? (not counting other drugs in mixes!)

• No significant interactions.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • There was interaction but no negative affect.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • The combination affected the trip negatively.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • The combination affected the effectivity of the SSRI.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
My partner is currently on an SSRI, 10mg escitalopram, LSD blows her away visually.

Cant say it affects her at all.

I've seen SSRI's affect some people's trips to the point where they just didn't trip. If you are prescribed an SSRI, though, it is usually bad if you stop randomly. Take your meds, or your body will mess with you. Usually stopping SSRI use 3-4 days before you trip would help you trip harder.

My first 8 or so LSD trips where while I was taking between 50 and 150mgs of Zoloft. I've taken it about 25 times since I stopped taking SSRI's. Acid works on SSRI's but it reduced the effects by about 33.3%. And if you want the SSRI to be totally out of your system I suggest waiting 2 weeks.

Is this number anything more than an attempt to personally rate the power of a trip? (like any science behind it? no offense just curious)

Tearitdown - the incident your talking about occurred 4 days after she discontinued use of SSRIs. I would say wait longer, this incident had a friend take 3.5 hits of strong clean acid and have an introspective trip comparable to threshold level effects. This person had never taken LSD or any chemical that has a cross tolerance save 1 mushroom trip a year or so ago.

Is this number anything more than an attempt to personally rate the power of a trip? (like any science behind it? no offense just curious)

This is just me saying how much stronger LSD is when I'm not on an SSRI. I took the same batch of LSD on and off SSRI's so they were the same dose but it was 1/3 weaker when I was on Zoloft. I had no idea at the time that my SSRI's were effecting it that much until I tried LSD without an SSRI. I would never go back to taking SSRI's after that.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm not going to drop this weekend, and I'm trying to get off of the SSRI's.

Hi guys,

I have been taking zoloft 50mg for over 4 months now. I have pretty much abstained from drugs with the exception of speed, benzos, codeine and alcohol.

I have a large rave in the Australian bush coming up in a few days and I would like to take some LSD. i don't intend to take alot, but enough to trip lightly (don't like tripping heavily at big festivals). I was wondering if serotonin syndrome commonly occurs if ssris are taken together with LSD?

I have done a bit of reading and most people have mentioned that the most likely effect of this combo is reduced effects of the LSD. that doesn't concern me much, but I do worry about serotonin syndrome due to its possibility to be lethal.

I believe I have had serotonin syndrome once when I had just increased my dosage of zoloft to 100mg and was stupid and bought a pill that turned out to contain DXM. It is not an experience I ever want to repeat again.

I have a ready supply of valium in case of bad trip, but what else should I do if I believe I am suffering serotonin syndrome?

Has anyone else here suffered particularly bad effects whilst combining LSD with ssris?

fast responses would be great because I am leaving for the festival in a few days.

other drugs I am planning on consuming are some speed, nitrous and alcohol. I am staying well clear of MDMA!

LSD shouldn't cause serotonin syndrome as it doesn't release serotonin. It acts as a 5-htxx receptor ligand. Combining SSRI's could with LSD could add something to the bodyload and potentially decrease the effects of the LSD due to the population of serotonin within the synapses.

BUMP!

I have the festival coming up in a few days so a few more replies would be much appreciated.

Has anyone had a serotonin syndrome whilst mixing LSD with an ssri?

What have people's experiences been with this combo?

i have been reading some medical literature and it says there is a risk.

I have plenty of valium on hand to stop the agitation and muscle rigity should it happen. or a bad trip for that matter.
?
What are some of the other common treatments for serotonin syndrome?

I have.

LSD affects were slightly less than if i wasn't on an SSRI.. if anything.

It shouldn't cause SS.

Like I said, LSD will not cause a influx of serotonin with in the synapses, so if you are not getting SS from your SSRI, you will not get SS from the combination of the two. More than likely you'll end up feeling less from the LSD.

Like I said, LSD will not cause a influx of serotonin with in the synapses, so if you are not getting SS from your SSRI, you will not get SS from the combination of the two. More than likely you'll end up feeling less from the LSD.
QFT.
No chance for serotonin syndrome when you take LSD.
LSD does not even cause serotonin syndrome when combined with MDMA, so why would it cause said condition with an SSRI like sertraline?

BTW, wtf is up with all those pussies these days?
Valium in case of bad trip...
In 'my time' you would just take a few minutes to get your ass together and continue tripping.

^ normally I wouldn't bother, but I am being extra cautious because I haven't taken acid with meds before. I'm going to a huge festival that I have been looking forward to all year, so I don't want the 3 day event ruined if I have a bad trip. Besides, never hurts to be cautious and avert harm. this is bluelight, a HARM MINIMISATION SITE!

Thanks for all the replies guys, will be heading off to the festival today. Looking forward to some pumping psy trance.

LSD shouldn't cause serotonin syndrome as it doesn't release serotonin. It acts as a 5-htxx receptor ligand. Combining SSRI's could with LSD could add something to the bodyload and potentially decrease the effects of the LSD due to the population of serotonin within the synapses. - Cloudy ... you are the man. That is quite possibly the best answer i have found anywhere on the net.

SSRIs will drastically decrease the effectiveness of your LSD, but the combination isn't harmful.

I was on ssris and never could trip off lsd. No mental stimulation and baby visuals when id drop a hefty dose.

I was on ssris
It is always a good idea to be specific as in which SSRI + dosage + length of therapy. There is a high degree of different receptor binding profiles within the SSRIs, which is likely to play a big part in wether there is interaction with other serotonergic substances (like LSD) or not.

SSRIs will drastically decrease the effectiveness of your LSD, but the combination isn't harmful.

That's not true for everyone.

I took LSD while on an SSRI-prozac, and I had no decrease of effects and I still tripped very hard, got ego death, and I did not get any sort of body load either.

I've read other posts by people on here who also tripped fine on acid while on an SSRI.

psytaco, you will be fine. Have fun at the festival.

LSD and SSRI antidepressants

Does anyone have neurochemistry background-pharmacology? I need info. on relationship between LSD and SSRI antidepressants.
Elsewhere on this site was posted:"LSD binds to 5-HT2A and 5-HT2B receptors, while SSRIs bind preferentially to the SERT (which is not a serotonin receptor but a serotonin transporter)".
LSD and SSRIs have primary action on serotonin.
Does anyone have any idea why withdrawal from Paxil or Zoloft would cause LSD-like visuals like phosphenes?

Anyone have any clues on this one? If not maybe I could pop it over to ADD, I'm sure those guys would have a crack at it :)