Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD & Intelligence / IQ

Ppl say it doesn't effect iq
But in a report a child accidentally ingested two hits
It was 6 month before her iq reatched what it was before
Of course it won't be good for a developing brain. That doesn't prove acid causes brain damage.

National geographic, Drugs in. - Hallucinogens : www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0WJQPyhXrE

At about 17 minutes in a cops talks about how he accidentally consumed about 1000 hits of acid and he tripped for 24 hours. I don't think you can trip longer than that. He got permanent brain damage though.
if he was a hippy he would have gotten smarter ;)

national geographic, drugs in. - hallucinogens : www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0wjqpyhxre

at about 17 minutes in a cops talks about how he accidentally consumed about 1000 hits of acid and he tripped for 24 hours. I don't think you can trip longer than that. He got permanent brain damage though.
if he was a hippy he would have gotten smarter ;)

^lol^ Acid is making me smarter, man. ;)

And that documentary series is filled with misinformation. I could totally pick it apart again, but it's a waste of time. In short, do not believe anything in that series (well, this episode. I didn't watch any other ones due to the rank and smelly bullshit emanating from my laptop when I watched that crap - but I assume the other episodes are equally as bad).

^Agreed that this episode was garbage.

I stopped watching in the first few minutes of the show when they said DMT is contained in the Banisteriopsis caapi vine. I don’t even want to know what other crazy shit was on that show.

I don't think LSD can affect your intelligence one way or the other.

However, I strongly believe that the value one reaps from tripping on psychedelics is closely correlated with one's intellligence. The coolest psychedelic effects for me usually involve deep thinking / philosophizing / analysis.

On a related tangent, LSD seems like one of the least intellectual psychedelics for me. I spend most psychedelic trips in deep thought, but on acid I'm usually just enjoying the simple pleasures of the moment.

I'd say it affects everyone on a scale from 1 (doesn't affect intelligence) to 10 (improves intelligence).

I don't think there are any real cases of someone being "dumber" for having tried LSD, except perhaps in some midwest US small town where 1 kid tried acid and the entire community condemned him.. I think there is much more to say for the sociological-psychological impacts of *any* drug experience affecting ones cognition than the drug itself (in most cases, except in cases of abusing known neurotoxins). In any case LSD is non-neurotoxic and shouldn't affect your intelligence negatively. From what I gather its much more common that an LSD experience precedes increased intelligence.

I think it changes your perception of the reality around you, for better or worse. I don’t feel smarter or dumber after a trip. It may change the way that I feel about the world around me and change the way that I choose to use my intelligence. I think that it has more of a chance to change personality and conception of reality before intelligence. Just my 2 cents.

I have found in my personal experience, that more intelligent people look for LSD.
There's also just those party people, and the ones who likes to get fucked up.

But out of all the drugs, LSD seems to attract the most intelligent people.
It's one of the least toxic of all drugs, ever, physically.
This doesn't include emotions, that's way too variable, generally even a bad trip isn't bad if you learn from it.
Just remember that a bad trip isn't bad, it's just showing you what you've been hiding from yourself and what you need to fix, this helps a LOT, try and learn from every experience.

First you've got to define what you mean by "intelligence". Even the kind of intelligence classical IQ tests measure, is only half valid. And I mean that quite literally, in the sense that what they measure only accounts for about 50% of the expected performance. Because that's what IQ is supposed to do, predict your performance. Performance within the context of the typical Western job skill inventory.

It's a disgusting matter to study, intelligence. Now I'm done lapping up the shitty literature, I'm tempted to just go with Timothy Leary's stance, and call intelligence whatever you define it, in order to determine your path in life. Acid can do all kinds of things with your "intelligence", depending on your own definition. It might ruin some performances, it could aid others. Who knows. What do you wanna do in life? Do you want maximum compliance towards your superiors? Do you want to maximize your well-being? Perhaps you want to make great art? Something else perhaps?

Because when everything's said and done, there's no such thing as context-free intelligence. How about that!

I would say that being under the influence of most psychedelics will adversely affect any focus-oriented tasks, as I'd be far too interested in the color fringing around words and numbers to be able to understand their meaning, much less add them together. Immediately after an LSD trip of course I could be far more creative than usual, but following a good restful sleep I think my mathematics skill would be unaffected. Deeper understanding of more complicated things would be improved, for example trying to understand 3-D calculus would be much easier after falling into the rabbit hole :)

the thing with acid is that the damage you do to your brain adds on to previous experiences. for example, if you try LSD once, the impression in your brain is made and is permanent. the next time you trip acid, the damage you did with your previous trip is still "there" and adds on to the damage you are doing with your next dose.

don't get me wrong, i love LSD, but it's not that there are no negatives. people exaggerate how safe it is and how it's as dangerous as eating a saltine cracker, but thats not true. especially if you have something traumatic happen to you during the trip, your brain will NEVER forget that experience and could possibly cause PTSD, and lingering anxieties.

Well, I can't speak for LSD, but psychedelics have certainly made me feel more creative, and my artistic etc work is much more "intelligent" after having experience with psychs. I also find it much easier to understand complicated philosophical ideas in media such as books and film. As far as actual mental faculty goes, I don't notice any shifts one way or the other AFTER tripping, other than things which are likely due to changes in attitude.

What I do know is that while tripping on a small-medium dose of 4-HO-MET combined with a small dose of MXE I was very good at competitive video games, particularly anticipating other people's moves, although I obviously spaced out every few minutes making it difficult to stay in the game.

At about 17 minutes in a cops talks about how he accidentally consumed about 1000 hits of acid and he tripped for 24 hours. I don't think you can trip longer than that. He got permanent brain damage though.

Never get information about drugs from cops.

No matter how big the dose it lasts pretty much the same amount of time - peaks in 4-7 hours, then down by hours 10-12 then just restless/stimulated for another 10 or so hours.

He won't have got any permanent damage from the LSD, LSD doesn't cause brain damage. His body will simply piss it all out.

This discussion is stupid because we haven't even defined what qualifies as "damage".

LSD won't cause physical toxicity and cell death. It will alter your brain chemistry. If this alteration causes decreased IQ scores, I guess you could call that damage.

lsd gives your intelligence new territories to conquer
It then depends on your initial intelligence what will happen

National geographic, Drugs in. - Hallucinogens : www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0WJQPyhXrE

Me and my friends turned this on tv when we were real high and we laughed so hard about how bullshit and anti drugs the whole episode was

I really don't think LSD can lower your intelligence unless you really take a massive overdose or have a predisposition for mental health issues that undermine your cognitive abilities.
I also don't think LSD gives any guarantee that IQ can be increased just by taking it. There was a theory that people who have already higher than average intelligence stand to benefit from LSD while average people tend not to be effected much.

My theory is that LSD can affect creativity and IQ indirectly by catalyzing developmental processes of the brain and mind that may lead to low latent inhibition.
Low latent inhibition, can be one of the key ingredients for heightened sensitivity to creative and analytical thought processes. The more intelligent people are the more likely they are to handle LLI effectively, the less intelligent people are the more likely they are to get overwhelmed by stimuli and impulses and this sensitivity can drive a person quite insane if they don't have the capacity to channel it.

This is what I think can happen and considering my own experiences I think this is reason to take it easy when trying to boost your cognitive faculties permanently. Because if you cannot keep up with the needed capacities (which probably do NOT grow catalytically), they may start to lag behind and you may get into trouble. I believe something similar to that happened to me. I used to be more stable but I became increasingly free in my creativity and as for intelligence I am what is called gifted. Tripping far to often seems to have exaggerated these aspects, making me unstable now but also my potential is boosted. How this works out is now quite volatile and depending on circumstances what I do ranges from very badly adapting to adapting remarkably well. I have also been diagnosed with no less than 4 disorders but all of them are intermittent.
I believe at the root of all this was a latent potential for LLI that I always had, but was really catalyzed by tripping a lot - now apparently I am extremely dynamic.

I don't say all of this to brag, because it's not all that much to be proud about. I may very well have damaged myself, I can do some things incredibly well but I also suffer a lot and have a lot of trouble integrating and meeting very simple social standards and doing simple tasks.

Personally, I don't think recreational doses of LSD, or any psychedelic for that matter, affects one's intelligence. If anything it would just make someone more aware of how dumb or smart they already were. Drugs bring out what's already known.