View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

lets help the government

IGNVS

Bluelighter
to understand our point of view on psychedelics!

dmt in perticular (i think the strongest statements can be made considering it is in all our brainz). if you could please barage every government agency you see fit with lengthy letters questioning its legal status, including information and expereinces, right from the heart.

dont include curse words (you know you want to curse their fucking brains out, but it dosnt help) or any negativity or foulness. this is a serious atemt to shift their statistics, or at least increase the awareness of a few individuals involved in government agencies.

do include local congresmen, representatives, mayors, governers, freinds, family, agency officials, clerks, hell even let the doorman of the building know if we can find out who it is!

email, text, write, post, spin, call, anything or available form of communication here

the this wont work additude wont help either, if no one starts somewhere then we guarentee nothing will be done. it dosnt take that long to write an email or a letter, and if your on bluelight right now i know you have the time...

the rest of this thread can be a place to construct arguments, compile files, share expereinces, and direct our awareness of new agencies or persons with positions in agencies. any usefull information that would or wouldnt directly help to increase activism should be thrown in.

consider this a cohilition, consider it a project, a team effort here!

thanks for your time and or contribution =D

I think that people doing psychedelics illegally is the main reason that it won't be legalized or studied in medicine any time soon (even though they claim it's a good medicine, they are only hurting themselves). So contacting the government on this issue would do way more harm than good.

there is a website where you can draft a pre-made letter to congressman, etc... and just have people include their personal information and send it off.

I did one for marijuana legalization in NY, sent it to the governor or whatever, and got a reply back stating that he wanted to increase the restrictions and penalties for marijuana possession. Guess that worked well!

I don't actually care that they are illegal because it doesn't prevent people using them. Barraging governments with letters gloryfying psychedelic drugs won't do much except bring these substances closer to their attention.... If the powers that be cannot see the good these things do by now, then I doubt they will for a long time. Either way, a forum like PD will hopefully one day be looked at as the writings of ancient pioneering psychonauts who dared to dream :) The best thing we can do with psychedelics is use them safely and wisely.

i get what your saying... i guess my personal hope is to get into a one on one conversation of some kind with someone working against drugs to use an altered CBT with a questioning aproach to questionably illegal drugs to guide their thought into somewhere that will one day make them think diferently, but at the same time get other people involved in whatever way they can (think out of the box).

today i was looking at this website that had a link to the DEA's stance on marijuana. so i asked them what their 'stance' was on DMT.

everyones human u know its not like your going to have your email shot right at the program director who is in a continual state of brainwashing himself. maybe it might perk a few clerks ears before it gets thrown in with the junk mail.

and sure the illigiality of it dosnt make it hard to get and use, but wouldnt it be fucking nice if there were no worries at all. think of how much more reaserch would be done, and social acceptability (not that it matters to anyone individualy) that could posibly bring real changes to the way people practice life. everything starts somewhere.

Hey, IGNVS. I honestly think the argument that we should be able to possess large amounts of a neurotransmitter found in trace amounts in the mammalian brain (ours included) is not a very good one. I think instead an argument from person/religious/spiritual freedom is the best argument.

Ideally, if enough people held this view and contacted their representatives, then the politicians would conform to the will of the people (in order to stay in office).

Unfortunately, our movement is not that strong. I think the best thing we can do is be honest and loving people and represent the use of the substance in a positive way by leading a good life.

swilow said:
I don't actually care that they are illegal because it doesn't prevent people using them. Barraging governments with letters gloryfying psychedelic drugs won't do much except bring these substances closer to their attention.... If the powers that be cannot see the good these things do by now, then I doubt they will for a long time. Either way, a forum like PD will hopefully one day be looked at as the writings of ancient pioneering psychonauts who dared to dream :) The best thing we can do with psychedelics is use them safely and wisely.

oh yes it does. if you think it doesn't please explain to me why i don't know anyone who has tried pure mescaline sulfate. having them illegal also makes a huge difference in people wanting to do research on them in medicine. you have no idea how much easier it is to get funding/and or aproval to do research on a non scheduled chemical as opposed to an illegal chemical that people use as a recreational drug.

as for the rest of your post, i agree.

well, DMT in particular can be had against the government's will given the right natural resources available in the environment.

samadhi_smiles said:
well, DMT in particular can be had against the government's will given the right natural resources available in the environment.

even so, there are still people who don't use it because they either don't know or are too lazy to go through the trouble of extracting it. if it were legal and you could just order the pure chemical, more people would do it. same with LSD, same with mescaline, even psilocybin might become more popular among the crowd who doesn't want to be involved in illegal things like buying or cultivating mushrooms but wouldn't mind trying them if they knew they couldn't get into any trouble.

Hey, IGNVS. I honestly think the argument that we should be able to possess large amounts of a neurotransmitter found in trace amounts in the mammalian brain (ours included) is not a very good one. I think instead an argument from person/religious/spiritual freedom is the best argument.

Agreed. If anything, the 'DMT is an endogenous neurotransmitter' argument may make politicians even more convinced that this is something that people shouldn't be messing around with.

I've always wondered; what's the mindset like of the anti-drug politicians? I mean, obviously there are some who have family members or friends who have had bad experiences with drugs and that would lead them to be for the prohibition. The rest though must be completely ignorant or continuously in denial about research that shows that some of these chemicals are most likely beneficial to people in terms of psychotherapy, or at the very least safer then alcohol even.

Personally, it's my dream once I'm rich and famous to create a powerful foundation that's anti-prohibition and funds a lot of research into drugs and drug policy.

freejroll said:
I think that people doing psychedelics illegally is the main reason that it won't be legalized or studied in medicine any time soon (even though they claim it's a good medicine, they are only hurting themselves). So contacting the government on this issue would do way more harm than good.

I don't think contacting the government is a good idea, but why do you think psychedelic users are hurting themselves?

I know they can be harmful, but IME, they can be very beneficial as well. They helped me get over a very long lasting severe depression and have also helped with less severe depressive episodes.

I have not had any lasting harm from any psychedelic substance, and the same is probably true of many or most psychedelic users.

swilow said:
I don't actually care that they are illegal because it doesn't prevent people using them.

I think it does swilow. And it also destroys countless millions of innocent peoples lives by throwing people in jail etc.

Perhaps better than individuals writing to governments is joining groups that campaign for legalised drugs - an organisation with 10 million members has more clout than one with 10 members.

Mr Blonde said:
I've always wondered; what's the mindset like of the anti-drug politicians?

I think it's that drugs are a danger to our children and that the idea of people enjoying themselves in ways they don't approve of is wrong.

Tryptamine*Dreamer said:
I don't think contacting the government is a good idea, but why do you think psychedelic users are hurting themselves?

I know they can be harmful, but IME, they can be very beneficial as well. They helped me get over a very long lasting severe depression and have also helped with less severe depressive episodes.

I have not had any lasting harm from any psychedelic substance, and the same is probably true of many or most psychedelic users.

We are hurting ourselves because so long as we are running around taking them illegally, two things will happen. Many people will not be safe (in taking the chemical) and the government will continue making them illegal. Since they are illegal, legitimate researchers are deterred from using them, and definately from publishing anything, so there is no reason to make them legal in any amount.

If hippies wouldn't have started taking psychadelics we might see them in medicine more. If the public didn't have any desire to take psychadelics, there wouldn't really be a harm threat from it. The harm threat comes with people having freakouts and getting ptsd or hppd, all of which might lead to injury or death. If the public would have never picked up on psychadelics, the threat would have not been assessed high, so they may have remained legal. Legitimate doctors and researchers would have not had to stop their studies. These studies would have been looked at with more regards instead of the biased any these days would be looked at. There is a chance psychadelics could have been implemented in medicine.

Instead we have the public running around getting fried, drawing negative attention to themselves and the drug, self diagnosing themselves with mental diseases and self prescribing their treatment. Also there are those who freak out, take too much, and call the hospital telling them they are dying. The police are called, and they get word of a drug that makes people think they are dying. That is madness! Who wants to feel like that? So they try to protect the people and psychadelic users from feeling the worst feeling in their life.

This is how we hurt ourselves.

swilow said:

But it prevents the people who matter from using them. The researchers, the psychologists, the doctors... Using psychadelics is definately very dangerous for these people's careers and they are unable to use them in any sort of legitimate medical research.

Actually, the best thing people can do to affect--and effect--the legal/cultural status of psychedelics is to just keep ingesting them.

^Exactly my point. Even when these drugs are legalised/decriminalised you can be sure that people will have to jump through the same manner of hoops that Rick Strassman did to study DMT...I think the main thing that is preventing research is that not many scientists actually care about psychedelics anymore.

burn out said:
oh yes it does. if you think it doesn't please explain to me why i don't know anyone who has tried pure mescaline sulfate.

Many variables could be at play here.....;)

freejroll said:
But it prevents the people who matter from using them. The researchers, the psychologists, the doctors... Using psychadelics is definately very dangerous for these people's careers and they are unable to use them in any sort of legitimate medical research.

It never ceases to amaze me how our society absolutely NEEDS science to prove something is of worth or even real. Why are these people the ones that matter? I understand what you are saying, that the illegality of these drugs makes research hard- but its not impossible, thats why there is research on these substances. As I said, I don't believe many in the scientific community care about psychedelics drugs all that much. Whats the profit in marketing a substance like MDMA which could potentially cure PTSD when more money can be made with the ongoing prescription of addictive benzo's and the like? Reality sucks but its true. Even Sandoz knew at the moment that LSD was discovered that there was no economic value in LSD, and gave it away for free, for reasearch. I wish things were not like that, but they are.

The testaments on bluelight and erowid and elsewhere from people that have used psychedelics are enough bya dn large to emphasise what they can help you achieve, which is a state of inner freedom. In my view, its the users who matter because we've been thrown in the deep end by a largely uncaring system which rejects all drug use- so writing letters is all well and good, but fuck it- I'd rather give out sound adcive on Bluelight then to speak to deaf ears.

What I mean by saying "I don't care that they are illegal" sounds kinda selfish, because I meant that its not going to alter my own personal useage.

swilow said:
...I think the main thing that is preventing research is that not many scientists actually care about psychedelics anymore.

the illegality of these drugs makes research hard- but its not impossible, thats why there is research on these substances

I think the main thing preventing research is that they're illegal. If they were legal research would pick up tremendously. It's not just the fact of them being illegal it's also the kind of name your lab gets if you attempt to do research on illegal drugs. Obviously the government drops you like a hot brick, so would many other would be funding bodies - they don't want to be seen giving money to druggies.

It's a two pronged thing - the illegality of them, and the bad reputation and drop in funding your facility would get for doing the research.