Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Leonardo DiCaprio - Greatest Actor of Our Generation?

^ Ooh! That's right! That was him behind that mask, wasn't it?

Gotta see that again. :)

AR: Jesus, I haven't seen Milk. I'll add that to Netflix queue right now. I remember visiting The Stonewall in NYC a few years ago, and wondering how many of my gay friends back home even knew what that was. SF is my favorite city in the world.

Note to self: SEE MILK.

"Generation"

This question is a bit hard because I don't really know what constitutes an actor of 'our generation'.
Yeah, I don't think De Niro or Penn are of the generation of most Bluelight posters. The average age site-wide is probably early twenties, right, trending slightly older in this forum I gather from posting style? A generation is a 30 year time span, and I think it makes some sense to say 15 years plus or minus your own age is what constitutes an actor being of your generation. I happen to have a sweet spot for Laura Dern, but like others mentioned she's too old.

DiCaprio is definitely among the best that fit the bill in my opinion, though if I did some research I'd probably be reminded of a few I think more highly of. In any case, we really should constrain the discussion to between some age limits (say 15 and 45?), or this is just going to be redundant.

I just turned 39, FWIW. Three years older than DiCaprio, so I think I can legitimately consider him "my" generation.

You kids get off my goddamn lawn!
:D

Yeah, DeNiro definitely is a different generation. Probably Penn, too. Any of you youngsters remember when he was married to Madonna? :)

Impacto Profundo said:
for a direct comparison, check out the break up scene in the aviator. watch cate's nuance filled performance next to leo's comparative mere competency.

I will. I've endured that movie once before and thought Jude Law's cameo as Erroll Flynn was the most dynamic thing in the film.

That movie is too long to sit through w/o sedatives, but I'll swallow the bullet (and the Xanax) just for you. :)

Last edited:
both cate and hugo are magnificent in little fish and i can't believe i still haven't seen her performance as bob dylan in i'm not there. hugo completely carried the other cast in all three matrix films, he made a fantastic villain. And as Ali mentioned, see Priscilla for sure.

other actors whom i consider better at the craft than leo include (not limited to): ewan mcgregor, sean penn, phillip seymour hoffman, paul giamatti, heath ledger (RIP), jude law and even colin farrell (watch cassandra's dream).

when assessing actors it's difficult because there are simply so many of them, and the term "actor" applies to all demographics, so do not be surprised if there are countless non-english speaking actors who are far better at the craft than the better of the billboard stars. what about children? i have been blown away by everything that i've seen haley joel osment in, haven't seen him in a while, hopefully he's focused on smaller jobs and primary getting educated.

Last edited:
Leo is a great actor...I wanted to hate him but cant. Very few can go from being a child actor to a legit pro. He did it. many props, but Ed Norton is the best of this gen IMO. Did you see him in Primal Fear? 25th hour? Rounders? Fight Club?

I agree Cate Blanchett is pretty top notch... I also really think Kate Winslet is fantastic (which is kind of funny since the topic is DiCaprio).
While I was dreaming about how good Cate is, I was snapped back to reality when you mentioned Kate. She's definitely my favourite actress. Something I really appreciate is her knack for accents. Show me a better Australian accent from a foreigner than Kate in Holy Smoke.

junctionalfunkie said:
Weaving may be a great actor, but I can't make heads or tails of anything I've seen him in. Can you recommend something else of his?
The best performance i've seen from Weaving is in The Interview. Also consider Proof, alongside a young Russell Crowe. But yeah, I do love Priscilla.

While I was dreaming about how good Cate is, I was snapped back to reality when you mentioned Kate. She's definitely my favourite actress. Something I really appreciate is her knack for accents. Show me a better Australian accent from a foreigner than Kate in Holy Smoke.

The best performance i've seen from Weaving is in The Interview. Also consider Proof, alongside a young Russell Crowe. But yeah, I do love Priscilla.

true and true=D

Leo is a great actor...I wanted to hate him but cant. Very few can go from being a child actor to a legit pro. He did it. many props, but Ed Norton is the best of this gen IMO. Did you see him in Primal Fear? 25th hour? Rounders? Fight Club?

Yep, instant classics all. Almost enough to make one forget that movie where Edward Norton played a priest and Ben Stiller a rabbi.

I actually have family connections with Norton and Stiller: Norton's dad and my dad went to law school together. My mother's sister was a make-up artist on The Stiller and Meara Show (Ben's parents) in the late 60's. :)

Yeah, Winslet is probably the greatest of my generation. She showed promise from such an early age. Who could forget her star turn at age 11 as the Honey Monster's tarty personal sugar puff and, later, his devastated and dehumanized sexual molestation victim?
25_more-excited-wwe-fans.jpg

H. Monster feels up a group of young boys at a lurid homosexual free-for-all known as a "WWE wrestling event".

Yep, instant classics all. Almost enough to make one forget that movie where Edward Norton played a priest and Ben Stiller a rabbi.

I actually have family connections with Norton and Stiller: Norton's dad and my dad went to law school together. My mother's sister was a make-up artist on The Stiller and Meara Show (Ben's parents) in the late 60's. :)

Norton looked out of place in Keeping the Faith...also death to smoochy was not his best work, both r turds imo,

American History X was a great movie also, I wish it had a dif director though, Like a Paul Greengrass or if Tonly Kaye the dir would have waited. At times you can tell it was his 1st film he dir.

^Whilst he's a good actor, I find he has a tendency to play the same sort of characters again and again.

vincent d'onofrio, tim roth, david wenham, toni collette....

i like leo, and norton, but there are many names in this thread far more versatile than them.

I think he's highly underrated, but I wouldn't go as far as to say he's the best actor of our generation.