Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Leonardo DiCaprio - Greatest Actor of Our Generation?

I'm probably the only person on the planet that thought his performance in There Will Be Blood was more ridiculous than his portrayal of Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York. There was just something off about it, about his accent, his facial expressions. I don't know, I've always found him to be a bit too theatrical for his own good. He's got crazy, intense eyes. He freaks me out. Having said that, My Left Foot is mind blowing.

I was actually about to come in here and throw DDL into the mix. I love his presence and intensity. I can see how it might be a little much for some people. That's the thing with this kind of topic, you can pick a few standouts, but it really boils down to having people rank their top 5 male/female choices and seeings who hits in the top 3 spots the most.

Personally I liked the pre-trainwreck RDj. I'd say he's gone from serious actor to trainwreck to sellout. It's not uncommon.

He also did some pretty good stuff DURING the trainwreck years. Two Girls and a Guy was outstanding.

there are prolly about ten leo dicaprio movies that i really love but cmon guys ... what's eating gilbert grape shoulda told u he was gonna be the greatest actor of our generation ;)

match in the gas tank

I have not seen enough movies of leo's or in general to say if he's the best, but will say that i agree with whomever mentioned forgetting the actor - this is the only time an actor/actress really catches my attention is when i realize at the end i totally forgot who they were in real life - this happens very rarely.

did anyone mention what's eating gilbert grape? i did not see "the real" leonardo dicaprio in that movie once, he seamlessly pulled that off and it was both impressive and of course, disturbing. that whole movie was just.....

anyway. leo is definetely capable of a lot more than he may ever actually do.

Leo is good, really good, but I do really like both Sean Penn and Robert Downey Jr. Downey could possibly be my favorite actor atm. If you haven't seen the soloist yet, that film is solid both RDj and Jamie Foxx were amazing in it.

As far as actresses go idk why but I have started to really like Mila Kunis in the last couple months

I can't believe that this is even allowed as a question.

This might even be MORE preposterous than the "LeBron-over-Kobe" idiocy we let on Bluelight in from 2006 until late April 2010.

DiCaprio's gonna end up on Dwayne Wade's jock soon, too - trust me.

This is exactly what I was thinking after watching Inception last night. This film is brilliant on so many levels. He is also brilliant in Shutter Island. I'm sure he's done the odd stinker but overall the films he's in get better and better, which is not something you can say for most actors. Will Smith anyone?

I hated Shutter Island. But not because of DiCaprio, I just thought the average story was disappointing. While I wouldn't say he is the greatest actor of our generation, in fact that is laughable, he is a damn good actor.

Really thought he was good in The Beach and Whats Eating Gilbert Grape.

i used to hate him but after The Departed i thought he was ok. i haven't seen Inception yet but I hear he does a good job.

i've always thought Matthew Newton was his uglier twin.

Matthew-Newton-Anthony-Reginato-5360929.jpg

Recent Rolling Stone has a photo of a pissed-off DiCaprio on the cover that seems to be de rigeur this month. Inside is an article about "Facing His Demons."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/17387/183536

I suspect a media gambit. They seem to be painting L.C. as "the James Dean who had the misfortune to survive i this imperfect world..." or some such manufactured persona.

In the article, he mentions he was never into drugs, had a childhood that sounds like heaven, has slept with every remotely-attractive woman in Hollywood and beyond, has a successful career at which he is at least moderately competent at his craft (and then some), is filthy rich, and an active philanthropist.

I wish I had demons like that! :D

WTF has he got to be so pissed-off about? The article insinuates that the world may never know. 8)

I dunno, the grass is always greener I guess.

I don't think wealth and fame automatically guarantee happiness for someone though.

Really thought he was good in The Beach and Whats Eating Gilbert Grape.

agreed; these two and The Basketball Diaries. not sure if he's the greatest actor of our generation, but as someone else said, he sure knows how to pick his roles.