• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

⫸STICKY⫷ Lab busts & explosions (2005-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should mention I do not even think fentanyl should be illegal - I just don't think backyard chemistry with hazardous chems, or amateur pharmaceutical prep/distribution practices, should ever be allowed in a society that expects safety.

whoaa this article is nuts. I am just sitting here now just wondering "How the hell does this guy know how to make Fentanyl and how does he know/get the chemicals to make it??"

Like you wonder if he is a smart chemist dude or just some guy that was letting his house be used by international drug dealers that know how to make it or something? so many questions

whoaa this article is nuts. I am just sitting here now just wondering "How the hell does this guy know how to make Fentanyl and how does he know/get the chemicals to make it??"

Like you wonder if he is a smart chemist dude or just some guy that was letting his house be used by international drug dealers that know how to make it or something? so many questions

I'm not sure about the precursors, but the recipe at least can be found on google. It's supposedly not that hard to synth for anyone with university level chem knowledge.

The DEA is kind enough to tell you which chemicals not to purchase. They don't even need to build a conspiracy case: they just have to catch you with a kilo of NPP or a gram of propionic anhydride.

I wish there was more info about this guy's set up. I wonder if he actually had the knowledge and means to pull this off, or was he a clueless amateur biting off more than he could chew. I kinda assume the latter, I bet this case comes down to him trying to order suspicious precursor chemicals (not knowing these things are watched) and getting ratted out to the authorities.

Criminal use of a communication device... WTF?
I assume this charge stems from the fact that the guy used the internet for his recipe and to order chemicals. While I'm used to civil liberties being trampled in the name of the "war on drugs," this is getting eerily close to thought-crime à la George Orwell's 1984. The powers that be never seem to tire of coming up with new crimes to imprison people with.

Basically every drug dealer in PA that gets busted, gets this charge assuming they have a cellphone on them, or the old days, beepers. At least in my county, which isnt even close to Dauphin

I fucking hate that. If you "distribute/traffick" you're obviously going to use a phone - do they tack "possession" charges onto it too? "Conspiracy" too, since you'd have conspired before the actual commission of distribute/traffick??
The larger crime should appropriately cover the lower ones, I can only hope justice systems try to get it "right" (which doesn't seem to be the case :/)

To clear up some PA drug laws for everyone from my first hand experience, I was set up with a controlled informant that made 6 buys off me, my charges were:

6 counts each of - posession, posession with intent to deliver, delivery, criminal mischief, criminal use of a communication device, conspiracy to distribute a controlled substance, international drug trafficking, and 1 count of delivery of a non-controlled substance. Total sentence - 5 years, first offence.

Last edited:
DAMN

I mean, distribution (99.9% ) necessitates possession.

Possession/trafficking necessitates conspiracy to do either of the two doesn't it? How could one come to be in possession of a single dosage of illegal drugs w/o "conspiring" to do so beforehand??
(or is this "must be 2 people" for conspiracy thing, legally?)

To clear up some PA drug laws for everyone from my first hand experience, I was set up with a controlled informant that made 6 buys off me, my charges were:

6 counts each of - posession, posession with intent to deliver, delivery, criminal mischief, criminal use of a communication device, conspiracy to distribute a controlled substance, international drug trafficking, and 1 count of delivery of a non-controlled substance. Total sentence - 5 years, first offence.

Criminal mischief? Wtf kind of charge is that?

It sounds like they just loaded on everything in the book in an attempt to get you as much time as possible. Either you pissed off someone personally or the cops where you live are huge assholes.

Or "delivery of a non-controlled substance"?!?

It sounds like they just loaded on everything in the book in an attempt to get you as much time as possible.
Yeah it does - 'international trafficking' doesn't seem to fit the rest, at least in PA..

MoraFiend, did you already do that sentence?

I fucking hate that. If you "distribute/traffick" you're obviously going to use a phone - do they tack "possession" charges onto it too? "Conspiracy" too, since you'd have conspired before the actual commission of distribute/traffick??
The larger crime should appropriately cover the lower ones, I can only hope justice systems try to get it "right" (which doesn't seem to be the case :/)

Yeah it is messed up, PA likes to pile on the charges in the beginning because they know you are most likely going to plea it down if you dont have an extensive criminal record. Gives them more leverage I guess. I remember when they first started giving this "Communication device" charge to dealers. They were doing a sweep of mostly pot dealers back in the late 90s. I made 2 sales to an undercover female detective, one a 1/4 pound and the other a full elbow. Everybody they picked up that day got this charge, and this was back when only "ballers" had cell phones. I and many others just had beepers and we all got this charge. I've noticed ever since then, every single person that gets busted with "intent" seems to get this charge in my county.

I ended up doing lots of jail time over this original charge because I kept violating probation. I finally maxed my time out in 2005 and havent been back to jail/prison since :) *Knocks on wood*

Oh and this thread reminds me of the guy in the Burgh who was making 3-methyl-fentanyl in his basement. This was in the 80s He was a Calgon chemist living with his mother. He was probably directly responsible for at least 50 deaths.

Here is an article that re-hashes the story, in 2006 there was dope going around spiked with clandestine fentanyl and it reminded everybody of the Calgon chemist case:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_457681.html

Yeah I've read that one, been a while tho so thnx for link!
And I'd say him/the users were directly responsible. If there's an OD on illicit drugs, the manufacturer, the OD'd, and all links in between, are responsible. That's the shitty part of prohibition, people need to make assumptions and often fail to exercise harm-reduction, they just aren't always very knowledgable about the potent chems they're taking (heroin as well as fent). Same goes for anyone producing bad chems (obviously) and people in-between, UNLESS they did know - if it's gross negligence then attempted/successful manslaughter/murder/whatever is far more appropriate a charge.

one thing wrong w/ that - when I type "fent" or "fentanyl" in to search shrine-subforum, it gives like 5 threads that contain the words.

(of course, fent is less of a killer by virtue of being far, far less available, not by any 'safety' means. And any of the analogues just further that, obviously - glad you brought that up though, just for whoever may be unaware of relative strengths.)

Yes Sanger I already did that sentence, which was back in 2003. The non-controlled substance was an ounce of gold medal unbleached flour that I told them was coke, they bought it for a very high price and by the time they arrested me a few hours later I had already spent the money. They were quite angry at me. The international drug trafficking charge came from my ordering of certian things from Korea in high quantity.

As much as I am for complete legalization, I still want stuff like this to remain illegal.
Can you clarify?
(can't be for complete legalization w/o fent. What other stuff do you consider in that same category?)

I'm open to ideas and change my views when I'm wrong - but I just don't see how making any recreational/abused drug illegal does anyone any good. Even if heroin were legal and controlled, there'd still be *someone* out there who'd have the equip/chems to make fent, and know that lacing, say, Bayer-Heroin with fent may still work out financially, even if only within small groups. That brings back every single problem prohibition causes, albeit a much lower scale, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.