• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Kratom + Kava?

Kratom and kava potentiate each other in my experience. I'm a big fan of combining them.

I used to have trouble sleeping on kratom, but the stuff I'm getting now isn't any stronger than caffeine when it comes to wakefulness.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've been using a pretty sedating red vein at night, and while I don't really feel the mood lift or mild energy bizz that I get with the white vein, I still couldn't fall asleep after taking it (might just be insomnia or poor nightly habit). I might try adding the cup of kava before bed tonight. The results I've been getting with the kratom have been amazing as far as pain relief, and it doesn't make me feel really high or euphoric like most of what I've been prescribed. That's probably for the best!

I've also been dosing pretty low. No more than 7 grams over the day. Surprsingly I haven't had any nausea, which I experience with any opiod, but have I've had some very mild stomach discomfort that could also be dietary. I feel like I might have finally found an answer pain relief, and I'll probably go a couple days without at the end of the week to gauge how strong physical dependency is. I haven't felt the burning desire to take more though, and that's something I've always gotten with any prescription opioid I've taken.

I realize that I never updated how this combo worked out. For anyone that's interested, I found kratom + kava to work fairly well for what I was looking for (pain relief and sleep), but I didn't find much rec value. The kava definitely added to the sedation of the kratom and cut through any stimulating effects, but it also seemed to dampen any euphoria from the kratom. That said, it didn't reduce the pain relieving qualities of the kratom to any noticeable effect. I didn't get any additional negative effects by using my normal doses of each (2+ tbsp kava and 2-4 grams of kratom). However, I also didn't notice much synergy between the two.

I tried this a week ago and was very surprised with the results. For one thing, I got my Kava at the local health food store, so I was expecting it to be basically inactive. I mixed it with about 3.5g of Green Borneo, and for the first time in months, I actually was nodding out, something that kratom alone has never done for me. In fact, Kratom doesn't do a damn thing for me regardless of how high or low I dose nowadays but get me well, which made me wonder if it was the kava alone responsible for the effects rather than the synergy.

But yeah, it's a blast.. I will say, be careful with how you dose your kava. My bottle said to take 1-3 pills or something along that line, so naturally I multiplied that by 8x, and have to say that asides from nodding, I don't remember much of the experience. Kava is some real shit, you can get pretty intoxicated on it..IMO (and keep in mind my experience with it is pretty limited) it's got similar effects to maybe a low dose GHB and the muscle relaxant properties of alprazolam.

i love this combo but i keep my doses of kratom very low (or kava very low if i am on a higher dose of kratom). too much of these leads to a state of dizziness, lethargy and nausea. a low of dose of kratom as the initial kava buzz starts to wear off will increase the pain relief and a little kava on a large dose of kratom will increase the pain relief.

as for sleep, kratom is terrible for sleep unless you have a kratom habit. like opiates, kratom keeps you awake (and its even more stimulating than opiates) but once you have a habit it can be a great way to help you relax in bed and then sleep.

well kratom can be a sedative the rule of thumb is green is more relaxing and red more stimulating

but in your case you got red sooooo thats not any help

in terms of kava I find it a shit sleep aid but (I used to use heroin so I guess I'm just used to more sleep inducing drugs or it really could be a good sleep aid I don't know)

I'm sorry about not answering the question but in terms of herbal medicine you should give valerian a try I find it really helpful and It enhances highs (at least for me anyway not sure about others experience)

good luck though on getting to sleep!

-streetcow

for me kava is only helpful as sleep aid if i take it 5-6 hours before bed. otherwise it keeps me awake. its like alcohol, it actually makes me feel stimulated and in a good mood, not in the mood fo rsleep. sure, after a night of drinking its easy to pass out and after an evening with kava it is easy to pass out but taking it when you need sleep instead of in advance doesnt work well.

I agree with Burn Out, and in fact, I took Kava Extract a few hours ago, and have to say that the effects are similar to alcohol in a way, although I'm way more clear-headed than I would be if I was drunk. It seems there are multiple stages to the 'Kava Experience'-The first effects I notice are anxiolytic and muscle relaxation similar to a benzodiazepine. After about an hour I feel a bit more intoxicated, somewhere between a medium high dosage of gabapentin or lyrics and alcohol. About 2-3 hours in the muscle relaxant properties act up again, and if mixed with kratom, at this point I feel almost on the verge of a nod. Like Burn Out said, I imagine someone would have to take Kava quite a few hours prior to sleeping, because there is a point in the experience where it feels quite stimulating.

I like this combination a lot because I can decrease my dose of kratom by 75% because the synergy between these two plants is so strong. My only worry is the state of my liver..

Reviving this thread again. I've been doing alot more experimentation with the two, and the sweet spot I found is pretty much exactly along the lines of what znegative said. I can easily reduce my kratom dose around 75% and get enough pain relief and sedation to sleep.

IME, skipping my evening/afternoon dose of kratom, taking 2-3 tbsp kava, then waiting at least 3 hours before dosing a small kratom dose has been optimal. This way, I've been able to avoid the dizziness and/or vertigo feeling i get from taking the two together, but i still get nice synergy between pain relief and muscle relaxation. Most "headiness" from the kava is gone by the 3 hour mark.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any health complications taking both or either. Potential liver complications is a concern I have taking the two long term. Ive basically been taking coffee and kratom in the morning, kava in the afternoon, and a little kratom with some herb (only sometimes if I'm offered) before bed.