• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Kratom + Kava?

Slow_Mobius

Bluelight Crew
I have 25g of mmm speciosa's red indo kratom on the way. I was wondering if anyone has experience using kratom with kava. I know that kratom can have stimulant effects, so my hope is that a more sedating variety with some kava will counteract that activity. I'd like to use it to help me sleep through my pain at night. Thanks!

This should be a good mix to help you sleep, and its somewhat enjoyable too, but i personally dont like to mix my kratom with kava because i enjoy the mild stimulation and mood enhancement

I'm pretty sure I tried this combo last time I had some kava but I can't... really... remember what it was like. (Perhaps a bad sign, haha.) It would definitely help you sleep, and might make the red strains more nod-y.

I'm an insomniac and no form of kratom helps me sleep. Just throwing that out there. It actually keeps me awake, even the more "sedating" varieties. I thought that was pretty normal with anything hitting your opiate receptors though.

That combo will probably feel great but I don't know if it will help you sleep more than kava alone. Hopefully the pain relieving effects of the kratom last longer than the initial high, I don't have much experience treating pain with it.

I went to a kava and kratom bar on the east coast last month. They had kava and kratom tea, as well as a drink that had them combined. I didn't want to drop 13 bucks on it for various reasons, so I can't give you a report. I tried their kratom tea, I was curious how they could make something palatable with it (I always toss n wash). Turns out they use crushed leaf, not the micronized powder. Fun fact.

I tried a large dose of each, together and let me say it was not fun. I had a good high the first hour or two but then became dizzy and lethargic. 7 hrs later I ate a sub, thinking it'd help but instead vomited and fell asleep. These two substances have to tax the liver pretty heavily, its the same reason you're advised not to drink alcohol with kava. And yes I'm aware that its supposed to be the leaf and not the root of kava which causes liver damage, but I also hear about the tudei kava controversy, making people dizzy and sick. Check out the kava Megathread for more info on that.

Kratom may as well be my last hope for something that'll give me pain relief through the night. If there's potential for adverse reactions between the kava and kratom I guess I can start with just trying kratom and slowly adding in the kava at low doses.

Banana king: IME kava is a pretty strong potentiator of opiates, so it's not a big surprise to hear large doses taken together causes those effects. I'm going to be starting small with each.

Kratom may as well be my last hope for something that'll give me pain relief through the night. If there's potential for adverse reactions between the kava and kratom I guess I can start with just trying kratom and slowly adding in the kava at low doses.

Banana king: IME kava is a pretty strong potentiator of opiates, so it's not a big surprise to hear large doses taken together causes those effects. I'm going to be starting small with each.

I agree with buuberry that KRatom is THE SINGLE WORST thing for sleep.

I can't sleep unless Kratom has WORN OFF 6 Or more hours before bed time.

Some people are different and can sleep on it, but if you are like us, I wouldn't plan on it for a sleep drug.

Sorry man.

Fuck this is what I was worried about. Docs won't give me anything but tramadol right now and I can't sleep on the tramadol and I can't sleep through the pain.

Fuck this is what I was worried about. Docs won't give me anything but tramadol right now and I can't sleep on the tramadol and I can't sleep through the pain.

You could be an exception as there are some people who can sleep on it.

Also, people say that ONCE YOU GET ADDICTED, like have a daily dependency, then that issue goes away and the only way they CAN sleep is to be on Kratom, so if you want to take it every day then you probably won't have that issue, but you probably don't want to get addicted.

One way I CAN sleep on it is to combine it with Phenibut which is a great combination and very euphoric, but I don't know if you want to take Phenibut.

I personally like Phenibut a lot but it's very addictive and not good to take more than once a week.

Also, I can sleep on Kratom EXTRACT, but Kratom extract is not the same as regular Kratom.

It includes many of the same alkaloids but has other stuff in it as well and who knows what the hell else it has.

BUT...if you want to take that stuff you can sleep on it but beware that it's more addictive than Kratom and it will render REGULAR Kratom absolutely USELESS because it will kill your tolerance.

BUT, Kratom extracts are SUPER euphoric and feel great and you can sleep on them, but you'll get addicted to them fast if you use them more than like twice a week.

Im just going to stick with the powder. I've read that the extract quality can be hit or miss(sometimes laced with something cheap). But honestly id probably be fine taking kratom every day. I was dependent on tramadol and zolpidem for a few months, and then went off everything for about a month. Even when the withdrawals were gone, my quality of life was just really shitty. It was nice not having a drug dependece, but it certainly wasn't worth it being in pain and still unable to sleep. I don't know if taking kratom once a day would be any worse than taking tramadol and zolpidem regularly. I'll at least give it a try.

I'm an insomniac and no form of kratom helps me sleep. Just throwing that out there. It actually keeps me awake, even the more "sedating" varieties. I thought that was pretty normal with anything hitting your opiate receptors though.

That combo will probably feel great but I don't know if it will help you sleep more than kava alone. Hopefully the pain relieving effects of the kratom last longer than the initial high, I don't have much experience treating pain with it.

I went to a kava and kratom bar on the east coast last month. They had kava and kratom tea, as well as a drink that had them combined. I didn't want to drop 13 bucks on it for various reasons, so I can't give you a report. I tried their kratom tea, I was curious how they could make something palatable with it (I always toss n wash). Turns out they use crushed leaf, not the micronized powder. Fun fact.

Same here on kratom I find it impossible to sleep

It is a worthwhile combination. They are both mild and legitimate highs and complinent one another well (opiate plus sedative) in a non-harmful manner.

It is a worthwhile combination. They are both mild and legitimate highs and complinent one another well (opiate plus sedative) in a non-harmful manner.

Thanks. I was hoping someone could report some success in using the two together

I actually sleep pretty well on kratom, but its only after the high has peaked, so maybe 2 hours after it begins to kick in

My doctors had me on methadone 2005-2010 then Suboxone 2010-2016. I weaned myself down and haven't had a suboxone in 2 weeks. I've been using the Kratom. I started at 10 grams 4 times a day. I have NEVER gotten a HIGH or anything, but a NORMAL feeling. I never heard of Kava. Is this supposed to help with withdrawals? I'm down to 5-6 grams of Kratom now. I never heard of any of this stuff I until 3 weeks ago, my chemist professor friend helped me find it.
I have severe insomnia so I cannot answer if it keeps me awake because everything keeps me awake. I used to take chloral hydrate and Ambien I stopped all those on my own and just drink some Zzzquil now. It knocks me out, that and some high THC cannabis oil.

I actually sleep pretty well on kratom, but its only after the high has peaked, so maybe 2 hours after it begins to kick in
Same, I usually write and listen to music or something while I'm in the energized/euphoric stage, then like to chill out with a not-too-serious movie when I'm at the more relaxed and tired stage before going to bed. It's a nice sort of two-stage effect.

Straining the kava entirely is vital (IME) if you want to avoid, or at least lessen, the amount of nausea with this combo, otherwise the two can potentially induce nasty vertigo spells. As far as synergy I have personally found none. That's not to say the combo doesn't have worth or can't be enjoyable, I just haven't found the two to work together to form a unique fully dimensional experience.

If you don't have insomnia issues or sensitivity to the noradrenaline aspects of kratom I would personally choose to take one or the other... kratom for work or relax, and the kava just before bed. Certainly take kratom alone if you haven't before as it's very likely you will experience nausea from the kratom in the process of finding your so called sweet spot... although not everyone experiences this.

This can be avoided by starting low and trying kratom again 4 hours later with an increased dose should the original not be sufficient. Most will agree that redosing kratom within a couple hours adds little more than side effects. Many make the mistake of dosing too high the first time leading to severe vertigo an sometimes writing kratom off entirely based on that one event.

Once you're comfortable with kratom you may add a reasonable dose of kava if you choose to... though some argue it detracts from the the opioid euphoria at the cost of increased sedation. Being that everyone is unique this is something that needs to be experienced first hand. Be careful, start low, and enjoy the experience for what it is :)

Last edited:
That's interesting that a lot of people feel that redosing Kratom doesn't work cause I feel it works just fine.

I mean I can take 10 grams and if I feel the high isn't strong enough take another 4 and in 45 mins I'll feel much higher like I'm on 14 grams (cause I will be) and continue to feel so until it wears off.

Not sure why some feel it doesn't work.

I mean in general that's the way it is with most drugs, that if you take a small dosage and later take another dosage the two will combine to form a larger effect.

It would seem counterintuitive for it not to work with Kratom, but who knows.

I am not going to doubt other people's experiences that redosing doesn't work for them for whatever reason, but it does work for me.