• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

I've never played Final Fantasy.........which one should i start with?

Lol I remember lugging that tank around, changing batteries every 30 seconds-serious technology. (Saying that the Sega Nomad was a decent bit of kit, never did get to own one though, but played a mates back in the day.

You have to spend all your settlement in 90 days? Never heard of a rule like that before, in the UK, you can hang onto the loot for as long as you like, I think.

Btw have you managed to get mgs portable ops working for ppsssspp by any chance? Want to play that, but it just won't launch. Also, vice city stories?

Lol I remember lugging that tank around, changing batteries every 30 seconds-serious technology. (Saying that the Sega Nomad was a decent bit of kit, never did get to own one though, but played a mates back in the day.

You have to spend all your settlement in 90 days? Never heard of a rule like that before, in the UK, you can hang onto the loot for as long as you like, I think.

Btw have you managed to get mgs portable ops working for ppsssspp by any chance? Want to play that, but it just won't launch. Also, vice city stories?

Every 30 seconds? LOL I would play Sonic Spinball for HOURS before those AAs would die. I think it had better battery life than my PSP fat did to be honest.

Its 90 days because we have additional programs that are only available after passing a means test (cash on hand and assets). It could save me a LOT of money if I can get a dual Medicare/Medicaid eligibility.

Portable games are generally PSX games that have been put into a PSP EBOOT. These don't work on emulators. The reason for that is because the games are run by an emulator called POPS on the PSP and emulation inside of emulation tends to be highly incompatible and grossly unplayable. Just download ePSXe and configure it right and you can play any PSX game you would like.

Haha shit mang, I thought I had no idea what the game gear was until you brought up MF'ing Sonic Spinball, that game was addictive as fuck! Also brought back the "SEGAAA!" noise it would make when you turned it on, loved that. I also found my Saga Frontier(another one of the greatest PS1 RPGs ever), Tales of Destiny(probably the best!), Wild Arms, and Vanguard Bandits discs. Fuck do I wish I could play them, that or I wish I still had the ToD case so I could sell it for $60 plus dollars...:(

Haha shit mang, I thought I had no idea what the game gear was until you brought up MF'ing Sonic Spinball, that game was addictive as fuck! Also brought back the "SEGAAA!" noise it would make when you turned it on, loved that. I also found my Saga Frontier(another one of the greatest PS1 RPGs ever), Tales of Destiny(probably the best!), Wild Arms, and Vanguard Bandits discs. Fuck do I wish I could play them, that or I wish I still had the ToD case so I could sell it for $60 plus dollars...:(

PCs can read PS1 discs... Just grab pSX Emulator: http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/psx_em.html (the home page is down so click the link to get it from Emu Zone). Its a no-frills emulator but it emulates the PS1 pretty much perfectly. Just stick the disc in and go. Grab ePSXe if you want to tinker with settings to get kickass graphics and such. There are graphical glitches with some games though that can't be overcome due to PS1 graphical limitations. As far as I know, pSX emulates a PS1 to perfection. Hell when you open the program, it boots up right to the main PS1 screen you would get on a physical console.

Speaking of Spinball

282dpxw.png

=D

EDIT: Thanks for alerting me to the existence of Tales of Destiny - I LOVE Tales of Phantasia on the SNES (it ranks as one of my favorite RPGs of all time) so if Tales of Destiny is anything like it, I'm going to be happy as can be! Now to tweak the settings so I can play it on my 42" flat screen TV in ePSXe - mmmm 1080p :D

Last edited:
Haha no problem! ToD isn't directly related but uses similar systems as Phantasia. You should check out the Lunar series, a lot of people think it's some of the best RPGs available and I'm definitely inclined to agree!

Good to know about computers being able to play PS1 games, good stuff!

Haha no problem! ToD isn't directly related but uses similar systems as Phantasia. You should check out the Lunar series, a lot of people think it's some of the best RPGs available and I'm definitely inclined to agree!

Good to know about computers being able to play PS1 games, good stuff!

Yeah I found it and started playing it... And ironically it doesn't work right in ePSXe so I had to use pSX for the first time. LOL!

It doesn't matter though. Can't increase graphic quality much, if at all, on 2D games.

It has the same kind of humor as Tales of Phantasia as well. For example, I checked the toilet in the Draconis and it said Plop.

I've heard that about the Lunar series as well. Now that I've got my own room and its kind of small, it makes it really easy for me to hook my secondary laptop (Alienware M17x - my Dell Inspiron 17R is my main but the Alienware has two nVidia 260M GTX cards while the Dell has an Intel HD 3000 onboard chip, HUGE gaming difference obviously) to the TV and play games in 1080p awesomeness, which means I'll be playing more games and Lunar is definitely on my list.

Yeah the comedy's good stuff though the last time I played it I was around thirteen or fourteen, I like how dopey Stahn/Mary are and pissy Rutee gets.

Make sure to play at least the first Lunar, some seriously awesome RPG action and good cut scenes(unless the cut scenes are in the second or third game...). Have you played Xeno Gears before? Defintely make sure to if you haven't!

Thanetho should change this threads title to "RPGs to Play!", considering we've dragged it so off topic, ha!

Either 7 or 10.

If the graphics really hurt you on 7 they are shitty you can always play X

Yeah the comedy's good stuff though the last time I played it I was around thirteen or fourteen, I like how dopey Stahn/Mary are and pissy Rutee gets.

Make sure to play at least the first Lunar, some seriously awesome RPG action and good cut scenes(unless the cut scenes are in the second or third game...). Have you played Xeno Gears before? Defintely make sure to if you haven't!

Yeah I'm digging it. No on Xenogears too. I'll have to get that as well.

Either 7 or 10.

If the graphics really hurt you on 7 they are shitty you can always play X

Or you can either a) play the game regardless of the graphics (which were INSANELY advanced for its time) or b) get the PC version and mod it to get graphics that can actually exceed 10's graphics.

That's blasphemy mang! Everyone who knows anything about RPGs has played the shit out of some Xenogears. ;) With that the super long multi game Lunar series and ToD....your going to have some months at least of awesome original RPG action ahead, unless you play them like a fiend or manic that is! Jealous, wish I could erase those games from my mind and play them fresh again, though it has been many years since I've played those.

I never owned a PS1, I had a Dreamcast. So yeah, that's why I missed out on a lot of PS1 RPGs. Legend of Legaia was phenomenal too.

I also grabbed Suikoden I-V.

I have II on PSN. Its a pretty kickass game. I'm wanting to play it in enhanced graphics though lol.

I wish that the PS1 didn't have the graphical issues that it does. PS1 doesn't support hardware anti-aliasing so you get really unpredictable 3D glitches at times when you use ePSXe and you end up having to use pSX since it emulates a PS1 perfectly.

I see Xenogears and the Lunar Series already mentioned. I recommend those as well. Also, Vagrant Story. Surprised that one hasn't been brought up.

On topic: I love FF7. However, I think FF6 (FF3 in USA) is one of the best. I recommend that one. And Final Fantasy Tactics. Not exactly the same, but that game is in my top 5 of all time. Easily one of the best plots ever.