• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

I've never played Final Fantasy.........which one should i start with?

Seriously impressive. Even with all of my epsxe plug-ins, it doesn't look as good as that. It looks like a different game.

Yeah, here's the unpatched retail (yes, I actually bought it - it was 10 bucks a limited time so it was totally worth it) 2012 re-release running at 1600x900 for the same scenes:

[video=youtube_share;_5R4eam3u_c]http://youtu.be/_5R4eam3u_c[/video]

The difference really is quite remarkable.

So basically the modders even make better video drivers than Square does - and the mod for the 1997 version was out in like 2010 if I remember correctly, LONG before Square would have worked on the rework that runs on Windows 7 and has high res "support"

On my PC, there is a two inch black bar on the bottom of my screen with the game but that didn't show up in the video so maybe its a driver issue. Intel isn't exactly known for stellar drivers. At the same time though, I don't have problems with the remake or anything else...

EDIT: Actually, you can clearly see in the video with the menu after the battle that part of the bottom is cut off. That's because the menu takes up the full 900 resolution and the game itself doesn't. It really looks terrible.
What a shame.

I'm having trouble playing the vid, but I can se a clear difference in clarity and sharpness. (Have you noticed the way they're re-releasing re-mastered RPGs for IOS and android all the time? And the prices they're charging are pretty ridiculous IMO)

Can you recommend any good PS2 FF games? I think I've got 10 and 12 out there but am undecided; right now I'm playing kingdom hearts one: a good RPG but a terrible platformer.

Off topic but the best RPGs were on the PS1, 2 had some gems but has nadda on the RPGs on 1!

Yeah psx was THE rpg console. I'm a major fan of the Parasite Eve games, even the (kind of) underrated sequel. Also, Vandal Hearts, Valkyrie Profile, among many. I was actually a fan of koudelka, even though it was hated by critics. My absolute favourite RPG of all time though, is Earthbound. I didn't like the NES original, or the GBA sequel much, though.

They're not RPGs, but I have to give a shoutout to the Resident Evil games. The first has aged badly, but 2 and 3 looked a generation ahead of their time; on a decent phone they're still pretty impressive.

Sorry for the thread-jack there...

Last edited:
Vanguard Bandit, Tales of Destiny, the Lunar series, Xeno Gears, and Arc the Lad were all the shit. Most of those sell for $50+ used. I should add more later when my mind isn't so fogged! The ones you listed are badass as well.

Honestly I feel like a bitch for my previous comment about how ff6 > ff7 and how ff7 was emo.
FF7 is the shit, man.

Yeah to xenogears. Not RPGs, but Abe's odyessy, medieval, and syphon filter are still worth playing, and waaay to many more to mention. Are they really going for that much? Damn. At Cash Generator (or Crack Generator- a chain pawn store that'll buy literally anything), they sell PS2 games for £.099 (approx $0.60) and Psone games from £.30 (approx $.20 or so). It's not all good though: they don't carry many PS1 games, and I've never seen any gems. Saying that, I did get mgs3 sustenance and shadow of the colossus for £1.98 well chuffed with those.

fF6 was definitely camp IMHO btw....

Edit: just noticed this post has crept into sourcing/ pricing territory. But I'm not sure: does that rule apply only to drug talk?

Last edited:
props to 7 it was great but go with FF1 on NES its way better.

I couldn't get into any of the NES FF titles; IMHO SNES is where the genre really came into its own. There are rpg's on there that are all-time classics, probably some of the best ever made.

IMHO SNES is where the genre really came into its own. There are rpg's on there that are all-time classics, probably some of the best ever made.

Yeah, now that he mentions it...just skip ff and play chrono trigger.

I've poured dozens of hours of my life into that game, but earthbound is my favourite of all the SNES titles. Hell, of any system really.

Cool, I've got the first 2 there, also picked up Valkyrie Profile 2 and one of the Dragon Warrior games (forget exact title) for the PS2. I don't have many RPG's for this console;they seem to be more collectible, so less available in shops. I'm playing The Lord of the Rings RPG at the mo, and it's not bad at all.

For me the best is Crisis Core :) Or you can also try FF 7. Kingdom hearts is also a good choice :) Well which ever you choose, you'll have a great time with those games. Good luck!

Crisis Core is good. I should actually start a new game now that I have it for PPSSPP. Someone stole my PSP before I got to beat the game.

I always regret selling my PSP years ago, I had a shot-load of games for it too. I still remember how impressive the graphics were for the time; almost ps2 quality in the palm of your hand, with a sharp as hell screen; that thing was a bit of a powerhouse and deserved so much more success. That's always the big risk with handheld consoles though; they either become ridiculously popular, or they just fade away. Nintendo have always had the best track record with handhelds, though the 3ds seems to be struggling which is very surprising.

My favorite hand held console was the Game Gear... So advanced for its time.

But yeah, I've got all these PSP games I want to play...

I might buy a PSP when I get my settlement since I have to spend the whole thing with 90 days anyway. PSP, new laptop, a cheap car... that would be a good start.