• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

I've never played Final Fantasy.........which one should i start with?

I agree with the above ^^ Don't waste your time on FF 13 tho, it's like pressing X over and over again for no fucking reason. The graphics are amazing, though, so maybe watch some gameplay and save yourself the money/time?

7 or 10 imo

My votes for FFX too.

Can't lie, though, I loved Vivi in FF9. That little loveable fucker made FF9 one of my personal favorites.

Might sound like blasphemy but I could never get too into FF7. I was young(ish) and not too into video games, so I just watched my brother play 7. Every time I tried playing I would get unfixably stuck somewhere and it got old really fast having to ask big bro for some help.

I stopped playing them after FFXI, though. Once they tried hitting me with FFX-2 I realized the series was starting to get a little stale... who knows, though, maybe some of the more recent ones are awesome. They definitely don't seem as popular as they used to be, that's for damn sure.

Yeah I dunno I can't stand playing any games on PC other than simcity, might just wait
For new Xbox

All of the SNES games are worth playing on an emulator.

7 on PSX (or a PSX emulator) or the 2012 re-release that runs on modern PCs is simply a must. It was quite the revolutionary game and set the bar for games at its time.

Im actually playing 7 right on epsxe its a legend, worth playing if you've never played one before. It depends how far you want to go back really; theres decades worth of titles to play. For my money, I prefer the PS2 vintage FF games, and of course the psx ones.

7 fo sure, but only if your willing to get the cool shit like Vincent in your party and see the scene with the original Cloud...;)

I actually like modding 7 on PC so it is tricked out with new characters, high resolution OpenGL with anisotropic filtering and full scene anti-aliasing, MP3 sound track, etc. Its really quite remarkable.

I've never heard of it, but i'm not much of a PC gamer, how new is it? Either way that sounds supremely badass! Care to go into more detail about creating new characters? For instance the difficultly of it and say, does the game randomly assign the new character it's moves or do you also create them yourself? I really wish they'd do something like that with Chrono Trigger. Having todays graphic ablities and such with that ultimate RPG would be the shit. It's to bad they didn't do as good a job with Cross or maybe there might be even more Chrono games today!

Here's what I mean:

That's actually not even where the project currently is. Its MUCH more advanced than that now.

Check it out:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13212.0

The last time I downloaded the mod archive it was 50 gigs but I'm sure its even bigger now.

Basically, the modders figured out how to deconstruct and reconstruct the entire game and built a custom OpenGL 3D engine to replace the game's own engine and all of the other plugins are integrated with it (like Ficedula for MP3 sound)

Wish I had a decent rig. I'm jealous as fuck tbh.

I do have some decent plug-ins for my psx app tho, nothing like ^

Yeah it used to work on my Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics but apparently the new version does not (I haven't tried it in well over a year).

I think that they actually just officially stopped supporting it though and that you can make it work if you tweak some settings that reduce the load on graphics memory.

I think they got lazy with coding. The only legitimate reason for onboard graphics to not be supported at all is because of shared memory. If they don't program the driver to tell the system video driver to allocate the amount of memory needed, the onboard chip only uses 128MB by default which isn't enough for anything.

You can make PSX games look quite nice with the right plugins for sure though.

What graphics card do you have? If you can run PSX (or even better, PS2) then it should be plenty for FF7 unless you have onboard.

I've got a 50 megabit internet connection, maybe I'll install Windows 7 as a dualboot with my Linux install and then download the FF7 patch and see what I can do with it. My NTFS drive is still called FF7DISC1 lol

Well, I'm not really a pc gamer, so I'm not sure about graphics cards and stuff, but my main emulation console is my samsung galaxy note 2 with a 60 gig card (those psp and psx roms are BIG) There's a brilliant range of emulators for android devices, and joysticks, etc. There is rumoured to be a GameCube emulator on the cards, but the current tech probably isn't powerful enough to handle it. It's called dolphin, I'm sure it would work on your pc, though with your specs. (It's the epsxe app I'm using btw).

I've always been a console gamer myself; just buy the machine and your good to go - no need to upgrade the internals. Course, even the next gen consoles are simply incapable of matching a really good PC game rig, some of the graphics on those are just astounding. PC gaming is something I would love to get in on, but I just don't have the budget for a really good rig.

Edit: as pointed out, kingdom hearts is an amazing RPG; I'm playing it on my ps2 at the mo. It's pretty much a hybrid of a a FF rpg, starring many of its characters including cloud, and those classic Disney platformers such as alladin, the lion king, etc way back from the 16 bit days.

Last edited:
LOL I wish I would have seen your comment before I did the test to see if the modded FF7 would work

[video=youtube_share;Hh6TEftEJr8]http://youtu.be/Hh6TEftEJr8[/video]

That's on my Dell Inspiron 17R N7110 laptop that I got for 400 bucks back in July of 2012.

Core i5-2450M @ 2.5GHz
8GB DDR3
Intel HD 3000

My machine really is nothing fancy and it works great as you can see. That's even at the max resolution that my laptop can handle - 1600x900 - 900p (the original game runs at 480p)

I don't know why it didn't upload to YouTube in HD though.

And yes, Kingdom Hearts was one of my favorite PS2 games but its a bit too campy for my tastes these days and the controls were a bit whack.