• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

is the Wii good

dude, don't even go there. franchise? dragon ball is greater than any mere franchise. The story may have ended 13 years ago, but damn, that is one absolutely incredible story.

check out the books for an awesome ride.

toriyama ftw

i'm hanging something fierce for this game cuz it spans the entire goku adult storyline. if it'd also include his chilodhood it would be the definitive dragon ball item.

L2R said:
dude, don't even go there. franchise? dragon ball is greater than any mere franchise. The story may have ended 13 years ago, but damn, that is one absolutely incredible story.

toriyama ftw

i'm hanging something fierce for this game cuz it spans the entire goku adult storyline. if it'd also include his chilodhood it would be the definitive dragon ball item.

Word.

atlas said:
though there's plenty of news about how it bombed at launch

What town do you live in?

Fantasy Land, or Candy Land?

Every single PS3 that Sony produces will sell eventually.

They all ready sold a massive fucking amount of PS3s.

Just because they aren't selling on Ebay for $5,000 anymore doesn't mean they aren't selling.

No article says that the PS3 "bombed" they say things like this:

In the release, Ian Drake, head of the hot-product-tracking web site, cited a recent $1,000 PS3 bundle at eToys that remained available for over 12 hours. "This sort of thing didn't happen with the Xbox 360 until well after Christmas," Drake added for some historical perspective.
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/21/ps3-sales-no-longer-hotcake-like/
"PS3 sales no longer hotcake-like?"

To say that the PS3 "bombed" because they aren't selling like wildfire anymore is ridiculous.

otal PS3 Shipments Hit 2 Million
Leo Chan - Tuesday, January 16th, 2007 | 10:32AM (PST)

Somewhat behind schedule

Sony Computer Entertainment announces it has succeeded in shipping 2 million PlayStation 3 consoles for the current launch territories, including North America and Japan. PS3 software sales meanwhile have reached 5 million units in both territories, and 500,000 registered users have accessed the console's online services since they went live.

The announcement for reaching this global hardware target comes as the company's total PS3 shipments in Japan hit 1 million units as it did in North America. Recent NPD data covering North American industry sales for last month revealed the total number of PS3 consoles actually sold to consumers in the territory sits at around 687,300 units.

While the company hit this "global" target 2 weeks past its original prediction, it still maintains the PS3 is the fastest selling Sony console yet. Sony still has an additional 4 million consoles to ship before it can hit its next milestone of 6 million units by the end of March 2007, and it will be worth seeing how many of these will be accounted for by the console's upcoming European launch.

2 million consoles and 5 millions games in a few months, what a disaster!

The PS3 is the fastest selling console Sony has come out with yet.

Now Wii has sold 3+ million units, I will give you that, but that is because Wii is so cheap.

PS3 is the most successful console Sony has made to date, it is not a "bomb".

Last edited:
Total Wii sales: $750,000,000

Total PS3 sales: $1,400,000,000

Total XBox 360 sales: $4,800,000,000

For a console that bombed, people sure a fuck shelled out a shit load of money for it in 60 days.

lurkerguy said:
Now Wii has sold 3+ million units, I will give you that, but that is because Wii is so cheap.

actually its more like 4 million at current. They could have sold 5 million by now if supply could match the demand for them. Sony on the other hand, currently has a supply surplus. So ya, they aren't selling like hotcakes. They're sitting on shelves. Sony is considering a price cut. That's not a business stragegy you adopt when you're able to sell at your desired pricepoint (unless you slept through microeconomics).

The internet(s) are still abuzz with rumors and tips on where one can try to find a wii. Information that leaks from major retailers (target, bestbuy) about when wii shipments will get front paged very quickly on social news sites. People are still waiting outside in the cold in the morning for them. I've seen it. We're well past launch too.

PS3s on shelves, wii not, bottom line. More wiis sold than ps3s, bottom line. Neither of those are refutable.

What town do you live in?

Fantasy Land, or Candy Land?

I live in the land of overwhelming evidence. You should visit my hood sometime.

2 million consoles and 5 millions games in a few months, what a disaster!

The PS3 is the fastest selling console Sony has come out with yet.

PS3 is the most successful console Sony has made to date, it is not a "bomb".

2.5 games sold per console... not so good. I can't find a number on Nintendo, but I've seen, on average, a game more per library than that. Add on the pure (nearly) profit Nintendo has made from selling virtual console games, and you have one company that is doing better than the other. :\

Here's a tip: don't even bother quoting Sony about whether Sony has met Sony's expectations. If they sold half as many units, they'd still call their launch a success. Saying anything close to "we are completely shocked that supply is outstripping demand" would cause a mass panic and exodus. The brand equivalent of the federal reserve chairman saying "we'll be in a depression within 6 months." If the only positive news you can find about a console is from the maker of the console, you might have to acknowledge that the facts aren't on your side.

A "massive number" sold, and "most successful" aren't really meaningful terms. You can measure success in any way that you like for the purposes of bullstats and soundbites, but its clear Sony currently playing damage control / catchup. I doubt that was part of the launch strategy. A massive number... compared to what? Certainly massive compared to a number individuals can conceptualize, like say, 5. Massive in relation to how many they were planning on selling... no, more like half. Thats not success.

Total Wii sales: $750,000,000

Total PS3 sales: $1,400,000,000

Total XBox 360 sales: $4,800,000,000

Cost to produce wii: $158
Cost to produce ps3: $800
Cost to produce 360: $715

Net profits from wii sales : 368 million
Net profits from PS3 sales: -200 million

There's really no way around that fact. Sony sells consoles at a loss. They need games to recoup the investment. 2.5 games per unit isn't enough. Not by a long shot. Sony has already lost several exclusive titles to their competitors. They'll lose more if they don't increase their install base by a factor of 2... quickly.

For a console that bombed, people sure a fuck shelled out a shit load of money for it in 60 days.

People shell out a shitload more money for diamond engagement rings. The only things you can extrapolate from that fact are that they are expensive. Diamonds aren't "better" than Playstations because people are willing to bear their cost. They are simply more desirable.

The similarity fails, however, at that point. People buy diamonds because of social values ascribed to them. Sony doesn't have that luxury. People buy playstations because they expect it to perform a function. The fact that there are units sitting on store shelves, when the competitor is selling more units, is indicative of a shortfall in the expectation meeting department.

Where do you live head-up-assville, or just delusionaltown?

The only things you can extrapolate from that fact are that they are expensive.

Not only are they much more expensive, people have payed that expense, they have paid more money for PS3s than for Wiis.

Also, 2.5 games per console in 2 months is not bad at all.

What do you expect people to buy?

4 games a month?

$50 a month towards games is a decent amount of your monthly budget towards video games as it is.

Like I said, PS3 is the best selling console Sony has ever produced.

So if PS3 bombed, I guess PS1 and PS2 "bombed" as well.

And since Wii only sold 50% more consoles than PS3, I guess Wii came pretty close to "bombing" as well.

Anyone that considers selling 33,000 units a day "bombing", while they consider selling 51,000 units a day a wild success, just isn't think clearly.

L2R said:

toriyama ftw

I don't see it, and I've read the Z manga and seen the whole series (not GT or regular old dragonball, to be fair). The devotion it inspired is absurd, imo. Hero goes some place, gets his ass handed to him, gets stronger, wins, repeat.

The American dub is atrocious, but its not like the writing was Shakespeare and something got lost in translation. Its about as nuanced and complex as Pokemon. If you weren't a rabid niponophile, you'd see that. ;)

And yes, it is a franchise. Its a produce of a corporate entity, that's sold to you to generate revenue. Unflagging devotion to it makes about as much sense to me as being willing to die for your toothpaste. Unflagging devotion also allows them to release the cheapest, most redundant material over and over again (see: franchise videogames).

Dragonball books? Thanks no. I like characters with a little more dimension and depth than the pages they're printed on. I don't even have to leave the world of Japanese culture, comic books, or children's lit to find better reads.

please don't take too much offense. I have a good friend that has two sleeves and a full back tat that are all Dragonball-centric. I give him the same shit I just gave you. Its part of our give-and-take, and I recognize that I also love stupid shit, and don't mind getting zinged for it.

OK, so according to your logic 2,000,000 units is a "bomb", but 3-4 million units is a "success"?

Like I said, PS3 sold better in it's first 60 days than PS2, and PS1.

So that means every Playstation release has been a "bomb" even worse than PS3...

I wonder why Sony even bothered to make PS3, what with the first to "bombs".

Your just a Wii fan boy.

Anyone who owns only the Wii is insane.

I all ready posted links, we can post links all day.

PS3 didn't "bomb", anyone who thinks that is delusional.

Like you said, people got shot over them for fuck's sake.

Me personally, my favorite is Xbox 360 for fun, graphics and price.

That being said, PS3 didn't "bomb", that is an extreme exaggeration.

Last edited:
You posted a link to some random blog and a bunch of unverified statistics. You're not proving anything.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007
Sony Sold One-million PS3 Units in North America

The company successfully achieved this milestone by the end of the 2006 calendar year, just six weeks after the product was introduced on November 17, 2006.

PS3 has been selling-out at retail outlets across North America since it was launched. This high consumer demand drove PS3 to reach the one-million mark before its predecessors, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and the original PlayStation game console – both systems combined have shipped more than 200 million units of hardware and more than two billion units of software worldwide.

“Sony Computer Entertainment America went to great lengths to help meet demand for PS3, including airlifting systems into North America on a weekly basis to ensure a steady stream of units were available to consumers throughout the holiday season,” said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. “The fact that we were able to reach the one-million mark faster than our top-selling platform, PS2, further validates the strength of the PlayStation brand and our belief that consumers are ready to experience true high-definition gaming.”

“Reaching the one million mark for PS3 is the first of many major milestones for us as we head into a new year. Even more impressive, is that we were able to accomplish this feat while successfully managing two other platforms—PS2 and PSP,” said Tretton. “With three PlayStation platforms now available to users, 2007 will be about software and delivering innovative, new experiences and award-winning franchises to consumers, both through retail and through our online PLAYSTATION®Network.”
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=19473

Total failure!

Great, an "article" where the bulk of the text is a SCEA CEO patting himself on the back. It still doesn't explain why PS3 units are sitting on the shelves and have been for a couple months now nor does it validate any of the statistics I now believe you pulled directly out of your ass.

PS3 is on track to be more successful than PS2, which was fucking incredibly successful.

To say that PS3 "bombed", when it is selling faster than PS2 did, is insane.

I don't know how it can get anymore simple than that.

PS3 will sell more units than PS2, it all ready has sold more units than PS2 did in the first three months, and PS2 ended up selling over 100,000,000 units.

Like I said, the article proves that PS3 has the best sales of any PS console yet, in the first three months.

How any rational person can consider that a failure I have no idea.

PS3 sold 2 million units world wide, 1 million in North America alone.

2,000,000 x $700 = $1,400,000,000

Not rocket science.

Wii being sold out, while PS3 is not sold old, does not mean PS3 is a "failure".

Are you just avoiding any of the facts I posted, or are you subnormal?

regarding people's willingness to pay for a PS3:

Yes, at launch, people were willing to pay upwards of $2,000. Now, they aren't even willing to pay $600. How can I say that? Well, PS3s aren't selling out.

regarding the "success" of various consoles:

Sony didn't meet their sales forecasts, that's one way to describe their failure. Sony is nowhere near making a profit in their video game division, that's another way to describe failure. Sony is being outsold by their competitors, and has a smaller install base, that's yet another way to describe their failure. Sony didn't expect any of the above circumstances. Things have not gone according to plan.

The only way you can call the PS3 a success is by looking only at its technical specs (absent, of course, their cost), or by finding a meaningless statistic, like Sony has recieved many more dollars for their product, therefore, it's a winner. High prices mean high production costs, which in Sony's case, are well-documented. From a business perspective, and Sony is in the business of selling things, the PS3, thus far, is a failure.

regarding Selling better than PS/PS2:

That would be significant if the PS3 were competing with the playstation one and 2. It isn't. Its as significant as the fact that bottled water sells better than PS3s. What is significant is that its not selling as well as its competitors.

regarding the PS2 launch "bomb":

The playstation 2 launch is actually the high water mark of console launches, marketshare wise. The percentage is what matters. AIDS has killed many more people than Bubonic Plague, but a direct comparison to determine which is more lethal is meaningless if all you look at are the total fatalities.

I all ready posted links, we can post links all day.

Actually, you posted link, singular. An article that evaluates the market as of December 18th, no less. I have current information, and loads of it. I doubt you'll read any of it though, since you seem determined to hold fast to a position despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Like you said, people got shot over them for fuck's sake.

Person. Person got shot over it. People get show over much less, I'm sure you know.

Your just a Wii fan boy.

Anyone who owns only the Wii is insane.

Wii fanboy? Guilty. I've been a Nintendo fanboy since the NES. That doesn't really change the content of what I've posted. Its not like I had to go looking in some Nintendo fanboy board to find you those links. Good thing I don't own a Wii. I'm not insane by your definition.

Are you ready to actually read what I post? Making you look wrong is easy and all, but I'll just resort to namecalling like you, if you aren't going to put any effort into this discourse.

lurkerguy said:
PS3 is on track to be more successful than PS2, which was fucking incredibly successful.

In 1929, the stock market was on track to reach unheard of heights in the following year.

I don't know how it can get anymore simple than that.

PS3 will sell more units than PS2, it all ready has sold more units than PS2 did in the first three months, and PS2 ended up selling over 100,000,000 units.

Like I said, the article proves that PS3 has the best sales of any PS console yet, in the first three months.

How any rational person can consider that a failure I have no idea.

PS3 sold 2 million units world wide, 1 million in North America alone.

2,000,000 x $700 = $1,400,000,000

I'll make it simpler: For every playstation three Sony sells, the incur a net loss of 200 dollars american. If Sony sold more playstations than there are grains of sand on the beach, they'd be bankrupt. If you only look at the money I've gorossed, I'm probably near a millionare by now. I had to buy food and gas and insurance though, so I'm actually pretty fucking poor.

Wii being sold out, while PS3 is not sold old, does not mean PS3 is a "failure".

Then what exactly do you call it, especially when you add the fact that more wiis are produced and sold, and for more profit for their company?

Well I guess only time will tell.

We will keep this thread going for at least another year hopefully, and next February, we will see how much PS3 "bombed".