• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

is the Wii good

Well, the 360 might make it back on royalties.

The PS3 on the other hand... you kinda need to sell games for that, and then there's the matter of selling PS3s.

They'll be making more money on ps2 for as long as people continue to develop for it.

once the new ssbb comes out and all that itll be great, and once games start getting more developed solely for the wii itll improve tenfold. but it is definetly one of the best systems ever made. good luck getting one, I've seen ps3's all over the place lately tho.

there's this internal leak from somebody at best buy (found it on digg). Apparently, all best buy locations (all) will be getting at minimum, 15 Wiis, and those will be sold starting this sunday.

I may cruise by my local store at 2:00 tonight and see if a line is forming.

Well, the PC is probably the best, but not the most sexy product. You can keep on upgrading (as long as you choise of motherboard allows).

there was a time that I agreed with that, but PCs don't have smash brothers. Just like consoles cant run an RTS to save their lives.

You need one of each if you're going to be an uber-nerd.

^well you can get emulators and download Roms. Then you can have most of the games on console on your comp as long as your computer can handle it.

haribo1 said:
The problems of controlller glitches will be sorted out & likely the graphics will improve vastly as coders learn how to use the machine effectivly.
Nintendo has 'Mario Club' which you have to pass before they will allow release. The theory is, you know that Wii games are at least OK.

what the hell are you talking about?

Well, if rockstar develope a lower graphic port of GTA4 onto the wii, the control system would shit on all the other consoles alone.

atlas said:
Well, the 360 might make it back on royalties.

The PS3 on the other hand... you kinda need to sell games for that, and then there's the matter of selling PS3s.

They'll be making more money on ps2 for as long as people continue to develop for it.

People will buy it.

It has sold incredibly well in Japan & America.

They can't make enough units to keep up with demand.

All the next gen consoles have been wildly successful.

^^
eh, you need to acquaint yourself with the facts of the matter.

Finding a Wii is nearly impossible now. Try calling up your local retailer and asking if they have any in stock, and when they'll have more. Do the same for the PS3.

Analysts lower PS3 sales forecast

Wii outselling PS3 2:1

The SONY PS3 disappointment time line

PS3 supply surpasses demand

PS3 Demand Slows, stores stockpiled

Wii sells 3.9 million units, twice that of sony, and half that of the total install base of the 360 in five weeks

Meanwhile, people are *still* camping out in front of stores to get a nintendo Wii. A woman died participating in a radio stunt to win one for her children. When exactly are you going to pull your head out of your ass?

The only thing those articles say, is that the PS3 can no longer be resold on Ebay for an insane profit.

Just because the insanity after the first few months of the release is over, does not mean the console is not selling.

PS3, Xbox, and Wii are all going to be very successful financially.

If you think the PS3 is going to flop, your the one with your head in your ass.

It is going to be as successful, if not more successful than the PS2.

I look at the situation realistically, you are looking at it from a fan boy perspective.

I own all three consoles, and I will bookmark this thread so we can come back one year from now, and see how bad PS3 flopped.

Xbox 360 was impossible to get when it first came out, you could sell one on Ebay for twice the price.

After awhile, production picked up, the hysteria died down, and the console became available in most stores, some even sat on the shelf without selling for a few weeks.

That doesn't mean the Xbox 360 is a flop, it just means that things calmed down.

I do think that PS3 will be forced to lower it's price to compete with 360, but as far as it not selling, or flopping, that is a joke.

People said the same thing about 360 when it first game out.

"Oh it will never have any good games etc".

you're the one who said that they cant keep up with demand, and I provided direct evidence to the contrary. Also, I never said the PS3 was going to flop, you said it for me. I think it's going to be marginalized the way the gamecube and N64 were in previous cycles. No Developer is interested in making games for the PS3. Namco, Konomi, and square enix are shifting development resources from playstation to xbox and nintendo. Without killer titles for third party developers, sony is an expensive blu-ray player.

In a year I expect the console market to look like a mature version of what it is today, the way the PSP vs. DS battle shook out.

You're welcome to bookmark it, and call me on it a year from now. I doubt you will though, since you'll probably get banned by then for being yourself. :)

I really enjoy lurkerguy's arguments. so far all i see going for the Wii in this thread is the fact that you can play interesting sports games with a remote that you can wave around and some crazy game where the objective seems to hurl shit about. Something tells me you guys are taking more drugs than I've been lead to believe if that's really what passes for fun lol

I also agree with lurker's points about the graphics quality afforded by the Xbox. My computer cost me $800 and a video card good enough to play high requirement games in high res would have definitely put my computer's cost over $1000.

I personally didn't find the Wii to be all that good at all. I keep hearing that Wii is for everyone, not just 'hardcore gamers.' Well, I'm not a hardcore gamer. The only three game consoles I've ever owned have all been nintendos, and surprisingly I really enjoyed the N64 which was once referred to as the biggest mistake nintendo ever made. I'd still rather take the N64 over the Wii, because I wouldn't want to jump and dance around the room trying my hardest to pretend the white stick I hold in my hand is a tennis racket or bowling ball every time I want to unwind with a video game... and YES, I realize the controller can be set to use like an old-fashioned one, but then I'm stuck sitting there making my thumbs calloused while wondering why the fuck I blew $200-300 to get a repeat of the childish games I already got sick of playing on my GameCube.

If you wanna get immersed in your game and play something with depth, don't buy a Wii. It's pretty much just a portable arcade. Just my opinion of course, so I'd appreciate not getting flak to the tune of articles and lengthy arguments designed to sway my belief. I'm glad for you if you own a Wii and enjoy playing games that look like they belonged five years ago in horrible asian cartoons, but anyone with a decent TV set or sound system would probably be more appreciative of the 360 or PS3's technical capabilities.

N64 was my favorite Nintendo console ever.

Zelda Ocharina (spelling) of Time was one of my favorite games ever made at that time.

To this day, that Zelda game is still voted the most popular video game of all time.

007 for N64 was also amazing, and me and friends spent many nights smoking doobies, and playing Bond multiplayer.

Zelda for Wii is totally awesome, and I am sure Nintendo will come out with some more good games specifically for the Wii.

That being said, I am kind of disappointed over all with the Wii, when I first head that Nintendo was coming out with a new system around the same time as PS3, I had visions in my head of a totally insane system that would compete graphics wise, and an amazing Zelda game with awesome graphics.

I understand about the price issue, and being affordable to the masses, but hell, the Wii is $250, you can get Xbox 360 for $300, so I don't see why Nintendo couldn't have done better.

That being said, Wii is worth the cost, just for Zelda alone.

do better?

LA Targets sell out of Wiis in six minutes

The Wii is twice as powerful as a gamecube. Resident evil 4 and metroid both looked phenominal. I don't *need* games to look much better than that. Most people don't need that either. Games like splinter cell and gears of war look fantastic, and they've got a good gameplay experience to back it up, but they take forever to learn to play, they're pretty solitary experiences, and the great titles only come along once in a blue moon.

I actually don't own any of the new consoles yet. I do have a lot of personal affection for the wii, and I've loved everything I've played on it so far. The 360 and PS3 will have killer titles. but the number of people that are going to play them is limited to those who are willing to spend more on a console. Fewer and fewer people have been buying and playing games since 1990. Nintendo is doing a public service for everybody, even the people that hate the wii, by shaking things up.

I mean do better with the graphics, not sales.

Graphics are important to me, and I would have payed $300-$400 for a Wii that had graphics equal to Xbox 360 in a second.

That being said, they have their strategy, and selling the console for $50 less than the 360 is part of that strategy.

Also, it should be noted, Nintendo does not lose any money on Wii sales.

Nintendo is the only company that actually makes a profit on the consoles and the games both.

Wii costs less than $200 to make, while Xbox 360 costs more than $700+ to make.

So Nintendo could never sell another game, and Nintendo would still come out with a profit from Wii sales.

Also, Gears of War has multiplayer, you can play it on line with dozens of people.

I am just a graphics geek, so I need at least one console with the latest graphics.

gears-of-war-20060714024928287.jpg

Last edited:
i prefer playing smashbrothers/mariokart/warioware with people within hitting distance of me (just in case)

On a lighter note, some previews from the GTA4 sneak peak:

logo.gif

skyline.jpg

gta4_1.jpg

gta44ag.jpg

MMMMmmmmmm GTA4....

How long until October again?