• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

is the Wii good

atlas said:
^^
man, srsly. I don't have anything to gain by lying and telling you I don't own a Wii. I would LOVE to own a Wii, I just can't justify the cost right now.

Actually, within the first three months of the gamecube launch, I predicted its failure, just like I did with the N64 (which I never bought, just played friends'). It was as clear to me then that the gamecube didn't respond to the desires of custiomers and developers as it is to me today that the PS3 has an image problem, in the consumer community, as well as the developer community.

Microsoft doesn't lose 300-400 today. That figure is based on the hardware costs prior to launch. The technology has become cheaper. The same thing will happen to Sony, though the chances of it falling to below their pricepoint are slim. Sony is already considering cutting the MSRP to intice buyers. On the supply side: cell processors and blu-ray drivers wont be getting any cheaper to make for the forseeable future, especially since it looks more and more like HD-DVD is the winner in that format war.

Mircosoft is making money on the backend that Sony isnt. Live, Live arcade, games from captured studios (rare, bungie, and now, capcom, maybe). The install base of the 360 is pretty wide at the moment, and they're making inroads into japan. They're selling more games than Sony is, and the shortfall they have to make up is smaller. SO no, I wouldnt say the 360 is doomed to failure.

360 has been out for over a year longer than PS3.

You don't have a crystal ball, and you have no idea how successful or unsuccessful PS3 will be.

Xbox was very unprofitable in the first 3 months as well, the whole business model of Xbox and PS3 naturally makes that so.

Finder said:
This is simply because the PS3 costs more. 8(

Additionally, I don't think atlas is debating because he "hates" Playstation, he's debating because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. You keep saying the same shit without saying anything at all. Who the hell hates an inanimate object, anyway?

I am not the one who hates an inanimate object, I own the Wii, I bought it just for Zelda.

Atlas is the one who has said he hates Sony.

If you look back in the thread, I said that every console has a place, and that I predict all three consoles will more than break even, and be profitable.

That fact that consumers have spent twice as much on PS3s, as they have on Wiis, is an important point.

It goes to show how much they are going to spend on games in the future.

When Xbox 360 first came out (and I can post you the old articles if you want), everyone said it would be a failure, it would never have any good games etc.

One year later, it sold 10,000,000+ consoles, and has an exclusive game (GOW) that was voted game of the year by many game magazines and sold a ridiculous amount of copies.

No one knows what is going to happen with PS3, it just got released 3 months ago.

Saying the PS3 is a failure, 3 months after it was released, is nothing more than a wild guess, especially coming from someone who admittedly "hates Sony".

PS:

As far as why you don't see any threads discussing Xbox 360/PS3.

I posted a thread asking who liked Xbox 360 as much as I did a month back, it was deleted within 2 posts, with no explanation what so ever.

The first person to answer the thread was a Mod, and his only reply was:

"No it sucks."

Before closing the thread.

So maybe that has something to do with the lack of threads.

Last edited:
holy crap, this is addicting. 8o i'm gonna lose some weight with this boxing game.

hey, i wanna see y'alls miis :D

i made paris hilton and michael jackson.

and my mii is a hot mama. :D

atlas said:
please don't take too much offense. I have a good friend that has two sleeves and a full back tat that are all Dragonball-centric. I give him the same shit I just gave you. Its part of our give-and-take, and I recognize that I also love stupid shit, and don't mind getting zinged for it.

I was of the mistaken assumption that you based your judgement on the merchandising of the story rather than the story.

Offense? Of course there's none taken. At least you gave it a go. To each his own. :)

DarthMom said:
holy crap, this is addicting. 8o i'm gonna lose some weight with this boxing game.

hey, i wanna see y'alls miis :D

i made paris hilton and michael jackson.

and my mii is a hot mama. :D

I cannot say this frequently, and I'm thinking i'm the only person on the whole planet that feels this way: making Miis that don't resemble you is wrong, bad, and dirty. God didnt give you a Wii so you could recreate the entire cast of saved by the bell to play tennis against.

...nobody get any ideas from that last part, got it?

lurkerguy said:
Atlas is the one who has said he hates Sony.

Just to clear the air, I'll make what I hate about Sony explicit. They were a electronics concern that was passionate about audio (walkman, discman, the redbook standard), passionate about television quality (there are trinitrons from the mid 80s that are still 100 percent operational and display a better picture than some brand new tube sets).

In the early 90s, somebody figured out (and props to this guy, he made them mountains of cash) that they could save money by designing things to have lower estimated operational life, an that that faster obsolescence set in, the faster someone would buy another Sony product. Sony just straight up no longer makes quality audio products. People who buy their recievers, amps, car speakers, car stereos, et cetera are getting reamed for a brand name that doesn't even stand for fidelity anymore. They abandoned a partnership with Nintendo, and used the prototype to design the playstation. That was, IMO, the begenning of the dark ages for video games. That was when I got into PC gaming.Sony playstations break after a few years of normal use, the games are thoroughly japanese in a way that I just can stand (square RPGs are dumb, IMO, so is Shenmue, so are Teken characters). The sony Hegemony needs to end, and I'll get behind microsoft or nintendo, or both, whoever will do it. The old men at sony dont believe in videogames as art, or even as entertainment, they view it as a market, like films, or television, or movie rental, or car audio, or home audio, or video. They aren't even trying to make quality products and failing, they're just going through the motions and exploiting people who don't know any better (that last part has more to do with non-playstation than the playstation. The PS3 specs are nothing to sneeze at).

lurkerguy said:
That fact that consumers have spent twice as much on PS3s, as they have on Wiis, is an important point.

It goes to show how much they are going to spend on games in the future.

I think the consenus in this thread, (me and finder ;)) is that its not an important point. Even if it is, isn't it mitigated by the fact that twice as many people bought the competing product. Or that said new product is opening new demographic markets, or that it has rekindled interest in lapsed gamers (myself) who want nothing to do with the new metalgear, the new tom clancey game, or the new final fantasy? I argue that it does count for something.

lurkerguy said:
No one knows what is going to happen with PS3, it just got released 3 months ago.

Saying the PS3 is a failure, 3 months after it was released, is nothing more than a wild guess, especially coming from someone who admittedly "hates Sony".

There's a difference between what I mean when I say "failure" and what you think I mean... I think. I'm not calling the time of death on the PS3, and counting the days until everybody just agrees with me and abandons it. I think it will move along, have a couple titles that generate buzz every year, but never gain the adoption of the kind of numbers Sony had hoped for / anticipated. The price point is just waaaay too high, at least for me, and most Americans, I'd imagine. Even if a killer game comes out for PS3, nobody is going to know but the people who already own PS3s. This is pretty much gamecube syndrome all over again. Metroid is a great franchise, so is Zelda, but very few people were enticed to buy a gamecube for them. PS3 costs 3 times what a gamecube costs. A killer game for the PS3 would have to be like Halo (1) times like 10. It would have to be the best game anybody has ever seen in years, bar none. It would have to be so good that people who weren't planing on buying a PS3 (me, i guess) now feel the world is going to end of they don't buy one.

I just don't see that happening. Its not going to be a square RPG, the gambit system, the ostentation, its all awfully complex and undesirable, IMO. It *could* have been Resident Evil, but it looks like capcom might become a feather in Bill Gate's cap soon. I don't know if anybody is willing to sink the development resources to make the next amazing game on a system thats hard to develop for, and has half as many opportunities for a sale as the competition. I see it like laserdisc. That's my prediction, a marginalized product that showed great potential.

The PS3 launch, however, was the industry equivalent of the Iraq war. Supply problems, lies, hilarious boomerang controller, SIXAXIS name, absurd statements like "its a supercomputer" and "this is the last console anybody will ever own". After a launch where Sony pretty went off half-cocked with one good launch title, with a price point the market wasn't willing to bare.

Now, after launch, the Sony press releases read like statements from Kim Jong Il. Complete refusal to ackgnowledge problems, no kind words whatsoever for their competition, moving of goalposts, more grandiose statements that are laughable "wii is a fad, wii is an impulse buy". A complete fiasco. The absolute opposite of how you want a system launch to go

That launch is important. That's where you develop positive brand recognition in the media (both the general media, and the trade publications). Thats where you show off you hardware (PS3 did do that well, resistance looks great, but where are the other games?). Thats where you set the tone of who you are in the market. Sony came off as a large corporation that doesn't listen, and mismanages. That's an apt description, but it could have been different, and it will be in another year, once the purge trial in the upper ranks is complete.

That is, by the way, another indication of a failure, resignations being tendered: and its already happened. So failure to launch properly, still hope for the future, but many, many obstacles to overcome, the hardest of which involve neither microsoft or Nintendo

lurkerguy said:

I posted a thread asking who liked Xbox 360 as much as I did a month back, it was deleted within 2 posts, with no explanation what so ever.

"No it sucks."

I find that hilarious ;) But ya, I think you should start another, at least to see who else is playing, what they're playing, and how they like it. If it falls off the main page, of turns into a flame war, I guess thats that. But ya, I wouldnt want to se it closed again.

lurkerguy said:

"No it sucks."

Before closing the thread.

So maybe that has something to do with the lack of threads.

You put it in the lounge silly!

Serious video games discussion, the lounge is not for. Start a new one in SO.

like this one
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=231209

or any of these
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/search.php?searchid=1059686

actually what you should do is
DON'T start a new thread and post in the existing ones.

atlas said:
I cannot say this frequently, and I'm thinking i'm the only person on the whole planet that feels this way: making Miis that don't resemble you is wrong, bad, and dirty. God didnt give you a Wii so you could recreate the entire cast of saved by the bell to play tennis against.

I have to disagree slightly. Making Miis that are supposed to BE you but DONT resemble you is wrong (IE a fat chick making a hot slim version of herself: so wrong). However, remaking the cast of "The Big Lebowski" to play Wii bowling against is perfectly acceptable and should be encouraged.

Anything involving The Big Lebowski should be encouraged.

atlas said:

so "no" on KO'ing jesus in the boxing game?

have you figured out the unblockable punch to the crotch yet? Gets 'em every tie. ;)

NO! do share. i don't know what the hell i am doing, just like flailing around like a retarded kid with epilepsy and hoping i am hitting.

wii dj? i don't get it.

oh, and btw, is anyone else having a really hard time getting another remote and nunchuk?? they are going for 75 bucks on ebay, for the remote alone.

DarthMom said:
wii dj? i don't get it.

oh, and btw, is anyone else having a really hard time getting another remote and nunchuk?? they are going for 75 bucks on ebay, for the remote alone.

I knew they were extremely scarce when I bought my wii (sometimes harder to get than the wiis themselves) so I stocked up early. One way you can snag an easy wiimote is to reserve a copy of wii play for 60 bucks at gamestop. You're basically paying for a wiimote plus another 10 bucks for a crappy game. But at least you get the wiimote.