• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

is the Wii good

lurkerguy said:
...and I don't know why they seem to be so far behind graphics wise since N64.

the extra work and components for such a system and games would make the prices too high for their target audience: the young & non gamers

And the Gamecube had more graphical power than the PS2.

And yes, the Wii is good. Very good.

Well, the only thing you can do to prove yourself right is to try it.

Wii is awsome. I had a really fun time playing my cousins when I visited him over winter break.

But I have to say I just bought a PS3 today....and it shits all over the wii.

My cousin got a wii for christmas, and we all played it for a few days non stop. The Wii is by far the coolest game console i've ever seen. While it lacks HD graphics, it is way more fun than xbox 360. Although the trauma game is really hard to play! lol.

thizzSantaCruz said:
But I have to say I just bought a PS3 today....and it shits all over the wii.

Wow, thanks for that wonderfully sound reasoning!

See, in the recent console battle, people have been asking about which new console is best.

I think the real question is... which console sucks the least?

In my opinion, defeinitely Wii. Not only does it has something to offer that PCs generally don't (unlike the other two, which are simply over-specialized PCs).

Besides, the Wii has Yasunori Matsuda's (Vagrant Story, FFXII) support. Thats enough for me :D

The problems of controlller glitches will be sorted out & likely the graphics will improve vastly as coders learn how to use the machine effectivly.
Nintendo has 'Mario Club' which you have to pass before they will allow release. The theory is, you know that Wii games are at least OK.

Well, Xbox at least, has something to offer that the PC doesn't.

Price.

Try to get a system together to play as many good games as the Xbox, be prepared to pay $1,000+ and still get shitty frame rates.

Also, plenty of games on the Xbox/Playstation aren't available on the PC.

The PC is awesome in it's own way, especially MMORPGs.

Gears of War is amazing, and Grand Theft Auto 4 is coming out for the Xbox and Playstation in October.

October will be a ridiculously profitable month for Xbox, Playstation, and Rockstar Games.

I love Zelda, Wii is a great product for the price, it has it's place.

Gears of War, and GTA4 in HD is not something I would think of as sucky though.

Actually I am thrilled with HD consoles, they are fucking unbelievable on HDTVs or projectors.

Has anyone here played Fight Night Round 3?

It looks like your playing a movie.

I might nut myself when GTA4 comes out in 1080i.

Or at the very least not leave the house for a year.

Lurker: Not if you build your own PC!

It is not unlikely to get something 2X the power of the 360 with the same price. Especially if you know how to buy used.

In fact, this is what I'm working on currently.

The few exclusive games right now are I guess a matter of personal taste, but I agree with you that this is the ONLY advantage over PC. I'm more of a snob, I collect cult-classics and sleeper hits. I just finished my Xenosaga collection for the PS2 =D (and yes, I am one who owns the valkyrie profile originally released for the PSone ;). By the time the new-gen consoles have their own unique games, their price will be low enough for me to get one then (vulture-style).

The same price?

You can build a computer capable of playing HD games with graphics twice as powerful as the Xbox 360 for $400 and it will come with a free quality game?

You can barely get a computer to run Windows XP for $400.

The video card alone would be $200, even used.

You must get some amazing deals.

Hmm.. $400? I think it gets up to $700 with all the mandatory accessories. I don't think I'm even including the HDTV add-on.

To run win. xp, bare? I think it is possible to do this for $100. Yes, the videocard(s) will be the most expensive. But otherwise?*

* Btw, I am assuming your videocard has a TVout, rendering a monitor purchase unnecessary.

And lets be realistic here... you can pirate PC games, but you cannot pirate (not even fucking emulate!!) XboX games!! =D (note that I don't pirate games, as indicated by my above passion for original snob-games)

The wii better be good- I paid out £200 on e-bay for one this week using my bill money8(

Jamshyd said:
Hmm.. $400? I think it gets up to $700 with all the mandatory accessories. I don't think I'm even including the HDTV add-on.

You must be thinking of PS3.

You can get Xbox 360 for $400 with a free game, a controller, a hard drive, HDTV out, and everything else you need to play.

You can get it for $300 without a hard drive and a game, and just get a cheap memory card.

The PS3 is very expensive, but hell, it has HDMI HDTV output and is capable of displaying in 1080p, a totally ridiculously amazing resolution that is sickening.

Just getting a video card with HDTV HDMI out capable of displaying 1080p alone is going to run you $500+, not to mention the $2,000+ system you will need to run.

Microsoft and Sony both lose money on every console they sell.

They make it back on licensing the games, and getting a piece of the profit for every game sold.

The Xbox 360 costs $500+ to produce, and that is with Microsoft buying millions of parts in bulk.

No one.

I made it up.

Xbox 360 costs $715 to make

Posted Dec 28th 2005 9:00AM by Blake Snow
Filed under: Microsoft Xbox 360, Strategy
Earlier numbers by Business Week may have reported that Microsoft is losing $126 on every Xbox 360 sold. That figure is now believed to be a bit higher by some. According to Insider Scoop, the world's largest software maker is losing upwards of $300 per console sold. From the article: "A high ranking friend at IBM, one that worked on the Xbox 360 chip design, tipped us regarding the real expenses involved in manufacturing the Xbox 360... 'It costs Microsoft approximately $715 to make, the manufacturing costs are still too high, another reason why they’re producing relatively small quantities.'”

If anyone has the money to blow, it's Billsoft. And if true, how long can the company stay in the red?
http://www.joystiq.com/2005/12/28/xbox-360-costs-715-to-make/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=xbox+360+lose+money&btnG=Search

No, the units themselves cost $700+

Fuck knows how much they spent on R&D.

They will make it back on game royalties.