• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Is it REALLY that bad to mix suboxone and benzos?

This thread won't die!

It's peripherally active, and so it helps with withdrawal symptoms. The end.

I did it Daily

Last fall after a summer of snorting dope I brought a bunch of subs up to school with me to quit. I was relatively succesful (even though I'm back on and worse with dope now *see my post "Heroin"), I was clean for a few months.

I know it is extremely bad for you but the only thing that worked for me was taking either a xanax or ativan, half a sub, and an adderall everyday for a few weeks after I weened myself down to that dose of sub.

So yes apparently it is terrible for you and I should not have done that. But Sub + Benzo does not = instant death or anything. I have done it many many times. Benzo's are always a big help to me while detoxing.

Yeah, I just recently developed Panic Disorder (it runs in the fam, and ive been having some crazy shit going on lately, plus recovering for a MAJOR oxy addiction), and had to be admitted to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. Major major panic attack. Called my doc whos prescribing me subs the next day and he called in a scrip of 2mg klonopins twice a day. I asked him if the mix was bad, he said at those doses, no (i take 12mg subs 2x daily). I asked the pharmacist the same question, he said id be fine. Today I took my sub when I woke up, followed by the klon. Felt some chest tightness come on about 20 min after (my first warning sign of a panic attack, probably was scared of the mix despite the assurances i was given). 30 min later and it was getting worse, no relief from the k-pins at all. So I called the pharmacy (doc's office is closed today and he has no answering service), explained the deal and asked them if it would be safe for me to take half of another k-pin. She said "absolutely, you'll be fine." So yeah, I think you hear all those warnings about benzos from the manufacturer of subs and from your doctors because they are legally obligated to tell you about all the possible side effects. Its not conisdered unlikely to cause respiratory depression when mixed, but its not likely either. Its when you get into actual abuse doses that you get into the danger zone. And considering you're taking subs from abusing drugs, they want to make it clear to you. At prescribed, therpeutic doses, its perfectly fine. My question for the group, however is..... how does a small amount of cocaine fit into this mix? (by small i mean 2 or 3 1.5 inch lines, pretty thin ones at that) I feel fine so far, aside from the heightened heartbeat, which occasionally feels a tad weak. Actually, I just timed my BPM, im at 75 BPMs which is in the "normal" range. I know people advise against combining uppers and downers, but again, I think its when you get into the high doses that you get into trouble. Feedback would be appreciated.

Not to sound like i'm "tough" but my stupid suboxone Dr. started me off on 16mgs of sub for a vicodin habit after I had already been clean for a month. I lied and said I was still uncomfortable and withen 2 months he has me on 32mg a day. I was also prescribed 3mg xanax a day, which he new about, and would have prescribed me it if it wasn't forbidden in the out-patient program. So I took that combo for a little over a year (rarely took the 32mg though, usually 16) and all I am fine. It just knocked me out in the morning when I took 16mg sub and 1-2mg xanax which is common with the combo.

i just said this in another thread.... if you drink a cup of tea with benzos well i know it works with valium .. well it basically speeds up the feeling, when i done blues i would always drink a cup of tea with them and within harldy any time i would start to feel the effects

If you have a tolerance to benzo's then you should be fine. But I do know someone who died from mixing sub and xanax so be careful, but im sure you would be fine. Most sub doctors will tell you that you cannot mix sub with benzo's and that if you do you will die, no if and's or buts, you will die. This is ridiculous but it can happen. Just be careful. Start with a low dose and see how that goes.....remember you can always add drugs but you can't subtract.

I don't feel like reading this whole thread, but here's my input. When I started bupe maintenance I was on 2mg klonopin and 1mg of xanax per day. My bupe doctor basically said it is recommended to use caution when mixing but isn't that dangerous dep3nding on the patient and their benzo tolerance (I have a high one). He talked to my other doctor prescribing the benzos and they both agreed it was a safe combination.

I have never had any problems even getting shit faced wasted on top of it all (well I guess I have blacked out and gotten into some trouble, but no health problems). I say mix away if you are tolerant of benzos or if you are just starting taking benzos as long as it is a small reasonable dose (.5mg klonopin/xanax) you should be fine.

If you have a tolerance to benzo's then you should be fine. But I do know someone who died from mixing sub and xanax so be careful, but im sure you would be fine. Most sub doctors will tell you that you cannot mix sub with benzo's and that if you do you will die, no if and's or buts, you will die. This is ridiculous but it can happen. Just be careful. Start with a low dose and see how that goes.....remember you can always add drugs but you can't subtract.

I think a lot of the reason doctors are freaked out is that my bupe doctor at least mentioned some case studies where people died taking bupe with IV benzos. It is probably part of the extra training to get an FDA license to prescribe bupe where they teach and tell doctors about those case studies and dangers which probably freaks a lot of them out bringing them to that absolute conclusion to cover their asses.

Is IV alprazolam alone worth it? I know the bioavailability for oral is very high anyway, but just wondering..
I took the alprazolam orally. I have no solvents to make it IVable.

The only benzo worth IVing = midazolam.

It is absolutely safe. When I just take sub, I don't feel like doing anything. When I take benzos and sub, I can actually clean house, be in a good mood...but, like with anything else, it depends on the person.

After spending a few thousand in cash here at the local opiate de-tox center in Akron,Ohio,the new sub doctor comes in and insists that i get get off of my prescribed 1.5 mg xaxax that I have been on for 15 years for panic disorder.I started on 3 8mg subs a day with first doctor(a great guy)and weened myself down to 1 8mg a day without anyone telling me to.The new sub doc starts bitching me out and starts cutting me off the subs,calling my xanax doc a jerk.I thought I was doing good,but now i feel dopesick again and really depressed.I run my own company and it is really tough going to look at a job at someones house(construction)when i feel like i'm going to vomit.This new doc rode in on his white horse and screwed me up.I wanted to get off the subs but not cold turkey.This guy is driving me back to using again

if you are already dependent on the sub or the benzo, its ok to take. if you are not physically dependent on either the subs or the benzo, that is a big fucking no-no.

I will be on the xanax the rest of my life,and i am dependent on the subs but was weening down.Then this asshole cuts me off.When I started there I was straight up with them and told them I was prescribed xanax.It was ok when I was pulling the 800 bucks out of my wallet.I guess the monthly fee isn't enough now.Fuckers!!!!!He told me I would die taking both.He's full of shit.

Atleast here in Sweden the docs try really hard to not have patient on any kind of benzo durin Buprenorphine maintenance.

But there are of course exceptions. I am on both Oxazepam and Buprenorphine maintenance. I were on 150mg of Oxazepam + 2mg Xanax but I tapered out my Xanax completely and tapered down my Oxazepam to 40mg/day along with 16mg Suboxone + other meds.

But YES it is a dangerous combination if you have no idea how to calculate doses, how your body responds etc. you pretty much need long time experience to get to know the signs and your bodily functions to be able to mix them safe.

There have been a lot of deaths (young people) that have combined Bupe and Benzon and died in their sleep. Though Methadone is the leading opioid youngsters tend to OD on and die.