Introduce Yourself! v.2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I'm a 32 year old (in fact today is my birthday) recovering alcoholic (a year and a half off alcohol) and former tramadol addict (quit 5 years ago).

Unfortunately I managed to get myself addicted to kratom. I knew the risks of addiction, I've studied with some really cool herbalists and botanists over the years and I'd been aware of it for some time, and about a year ago I was diagnosed with lyme disease and was having terrible arthritis pain in my knees and rather than take the tramadol i was prescribed (smart move) I decided to try kratom instead (even though the recovering addict in my head was like "you sure that's a good idea?"). Anyway, I got pretty out of control with it, went through withdrawal a few times due to lack of funds but always went back. But I miss being sober and I know that's the only way I'll get where I want in life.

I am 2 weeks into my taper and it's going very well and I feel like I am very close to my jumping off point. I don't expect it to be painless, but I know sobriety is worth it.

I work sort of a dead end job now in a crappy suburb, but I would like to eventually move to a rural permaculture geared community and practice hypnotherapy (I've already been trained) and continue to make art and just live a more fun and joyful life. I lived in a community like that a few years ago and it was the most at home I ever felt. It's my main goal right now along with getting sober.

Hi all, my name is Jim. I come from the land of the long white cloud (NZ).
I am presently in the grips of a grim multi drug addiction:(. I have just lost another partner (my ex fiancee left me few years back) through my lies and using. I am at my wits end and think I have finally realised that I have no control over my using. My body is scarred, sick and weak from the years of intravenous use. My drugs of choice are strong opiates/oids (been on methadone for 7 years).. Thing is I was doing ok untill I had my first blast of meth.. The last couple of years have consisted of trying to chase that rush. I have had several near misses, overdoses and hospitalizations and my mental health has deteriorated to the point where my best friends and close family have given up or have been scared away. I have no $ (meth is ridiculously expensive here- $250 for 1/4g). I have no one apart from my using buddies.. Somehow I believe I can beat this (he says as he preps another shot).. I need to know it is possible and that others have made it out. I have been in touch with an inpatient rehab clinic and have an assessment in few weeks. I think its now or never, I really want to change but my mind plays tricks on me and i relapse easily. I am hoping for some support here, have been lurking a while here on DS and its about time I made myself known.
Thanks guys, J

aoraki, welcome to Bluelight and thank you for frank and honest introduction. We are glad to have you here, regardless of the circumstances!

aoraki said:
I think its now or never

As an addict in recovery myself, my experiences have shown me time and time again that when this feeling begins to circulate, it is most definitely time to listen to yourself. I felt especially encouraged when i read that it appears you already have begun to, based on this quote of yours:

aoraki said:
I have been in touch with an inpatient rehab clinic and have an assessment in few weeks.

I mean, that is just positive proactivity on your part that the majority of those in the throes of serious chemical dependence just can't bring themselves to initiate. My most sincere congratulations, and i wish you the very best of luck at your assessment. From reading your post, i have every reason to believe that you will find the assistance that you need so badly right now.

aoraki said:
Somehow I believe I can beat this...

It won't be a cake walk; recovery from polysubstance abuse rarely (if ever) is. But with an empowering mentality like your own, as exemplified by this quote, you ought to know you can beat this. Treat yourself very, very well throughout the process :)

aoraki said:
I need to know it is possible and that others have made it out. [...] I really want to change but my mind plays tricks on me and i relapse easily. I am hoping for some support here, have been lurking a while here on DS and its about time I made myself known.

I'm thrilled you've made yourself known :D

The Dark Side has, and always will be, one of the penultimate locations to seek help, resources and advice. I'd like to close my post to you by suggesting you browse our brand-new Sober Living forum located just below TDS on the main forum page. It's an utterly superb hub for those like yourself!!

Forum: Sober Living
Focused discussion on Support Groups, medications and various options for sobriety. Links, information and recovery support.

Trust me, it's amazing :)

Best wishes...

~ Vaya

Oh wow thank you so much for the reply and support! Means so much.. Esp today, one of those days I had written off by succumbing to the giant angry ape that resides on my back...
Just so encouraging to know i am now a part of this community! You rock Vaya..
Awesome!

Listen to my original msc!! here: If you are into dark lo fi but intensity grunge: (currently adding new drums, any ideas be greatly appreciated..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnoV2bnEPcA&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
My name is John, originally from Boston now living in Pittsburgh. I've pretty much grown up on this site reading and experimenting with various drugs. (Safely thanks to all of the knowledgeable people who have dedicated their time in the efforts of harm reduction.) I am honestly humbled by some of the stories I've read on this site and thankful that I learned of it's existence when I did. What I failed to consider in my younger years was the possibility of developing an addiction. I am an opiate addict through and through. I've been to rehab, meetings, etc. This is probably my forth time quitting again. Currently I'm 11 days clean and truly determined to call it quits for good this time. I've been smoking hash like a chimney but hey, everyone's got their own way. I quit last year and bought a new car but in the winter I relapsed again. On fucking Vicodin! Within a week I was off to the races again hitting the North side daily for dope or oxys. For now I'll continue to spend more time in TDS because the What's new feed has me craving a ill. BRB, lol I gotta go play tennis with a bat.

Welcome, hebb22 <3

Glad to have you posting with us. Congratulations on your clean time! If there's a will there's a way. We're all here to support you, and you can certainly stay clean. Have you checked out Sober Living also?

<3

Hi All,

I should have introduced myself first but I had been posting on the Ecstasy Discussion for a few months. I am jonnavi and I am on month 5 of recovery from mdma (we didn't test it though so might be a random research chemical) I had been clean from any type of drug except for alcohol but I rarely drink due to my condition. I had a nasty comedown since December and I am still recovering from the damage. I am hoping to recover faster since I have not been a drug abuser for a long time. Thank you :)

Hi Jonnavi!

If you've checked out the boards in the recovery support section, you'll certainly see that you are not alone in wanting to recover. Congratulations on making a huge decision!

Please feel free to PM anyone here on staff if you have any questions.

Welcome to Bluelight <3 :)

Thank you RX_PRN I will definitely check the recovery support section!

My name is aliencowstorm and I'm an alcoholic and opiate addict. I'm 37 and have been off alcohol for six months and now it's been three days opiate free (man, the whole process sucks coming off three years).

TDS has been a wonderful find (along with the entire bl community). I'm going to take this thing one day and a time and put things in my higher powers hands.

My name is aliencowstorm and I'm an alcoholic and opiate addict. I'm 37 and have been off alcohol for six months and now it's been three days opiate free (man, the whole process sucks coming off three years).

TDS has been a wonderful find (along with the entire bl community). I'm going to take this thing one day and a time and put things in my higher powers hands.

Welcome!

Congratulations on your clean time. How did you do it? Did you use NA/AA? (I ask because you mention higher power).

Any questions, feel free to ask. Enjoy BL, happy to have you here <3

I've been in and out of the program / fellowship of AA for 7 years. I had two years clean and have had several relapses since. I'm looking at getting into NA as well as finding a good therapist. I'm lucky to have a wonderful family that knows what I'm going through as many of them have been in the program (AA) for well over 30+ years. Hell, I'm 4th generation alcoholic at the very least, but none of them went through opiate addictions so I'm going to see about getting to be part of NA as well.

I hope to keep things simple and just do the things that are in front of me and not worry about the rest as they'll happen no matter what I do. If I can keep that attitude, I think I might just be able to stick around in a program for more than my short stints. I am not a normy and I need to accept that and accept who I am, an alcoholic and a drug addict. Maybe then I'll be able to move forward without repeating this F'ed up cycle I've been in for the past 5 years.

Yo it's me bb yerg vader having a hard time come back home and back on the drugs

Hello all (sorry if this is too much or if I break some rules...there are a lot of them it seems),

I'm 22 years old, started smoking weed at 14 thinking "oh this should be safe, better than alcohol for sure." Didn't plan on ever touching anything else. As the story goes, I eventually ended up trying anything and everything. LOVED ecstasy and coke, but eventually couldn't find quality stuff. Absolutely loved psychedelics, but as my life continually gets bleaker, these drugs are depressing and sure to cause mental problems, so I avoid for the time being. Abused the hell out of alcohol starting at age 16 or so, ended up costing me several relationships over the years, caused a few car crashes and a DWI (currently on probation). Luckily I never hurt anyone except myself. I don't touch alcohol anymore (which is REALLY HARD when it feels so glorified and ubiquitous in our culture).

Have been struggling with nitrous oxide addiction for the past year. This one is really hard to kick. It's so easily available and seems harmless...but at what true cost? Makes me incredibly antisocial. It's extremely expensive, even using only once a week or so. My binges average about 4 boxes but I've done up to 25 (!) in a night. Right now I have some neurological problems I'm trying to get rid of with B12 and abstinence. I get twitching, tingling in the fingers/toes, weird electric sensations when I bend my neck, especially after exercise. I used to have two big nitrous dispensers that I threw away in an attempt to stop using. That lasted a week or two before I was back at the headshop, walking out with a new dispenser and a few boxes of whippits. Just threw it away last week. Had dreams with nitrous in them last night...luckily the side effects I have right now are keeping me from going for more. I hope it lasts this time.

Was offered some smack recently. Incredibly tempted, but knowing my history of addictions, this is probably the worst possible choice I could make. I've been bouncing in and out of depression for at least a year or two, if not longer, and I think H can only make this worse, possibly permanent if it isn't already. I'd love to be able to live a normal sober life, but I have very few friends, and have bad social anxiety...probably caused by spending my formative years tripping/stoned/otherwise messed up. I connect the most with drug users because that's been my life for so long. I'm just looking for a way to get on the right track and not fall prey to temptations of fake happiness. I know it's not too late, but boy do I wish I had stayed drug naive. Messing with brain chemistry is literally pandora's box.

Hi, tamarinds--that is a beautiful state!

@StuckintheLoop--hopefully you have continued to listen to your own wiser self when it comes to heroin--way easier to resist altogether than to get away once it catches you. Depression makes you very vulnerable. Have you tried any therapy for your depression?

StuckInTheLoop - go with your gut; avoid heroin as though it were laced with ebola. There are a great-many BL'ers who've struggled intensely with, or lost their lives/livelihoods to, heroin. Myself included - on both accounts.

tamarinds - welcome! I believe I've had the pleasure of reading a great number of your posts here already!!

Status
Not open for further replies.