• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

In your opinion, what is the point of life?

I dunno never will care to. Imagine we live in a world where everyone in society their main activities are eating and sex, a society of sand that has no wind to navigate over. We use vehicles such as people wanting afterlife for what exactly? I am an observer I like iconic "translations" such as a gloomy night, brutalism in loneliness and just knowing that I can't wait to jump in that rocket from Musk but until then hollow skies swallows trees and I admire the deep blue of sea things such as this allows me to keep a track of the track.

I think my feelings on this question change as frequently as the wind, but the older I get the more inclined I am to take the view we are just animals - and from that line of thought, comes a lot of easy answers.

Whats the purpose? Look at any life, any animal on earth - what are they all doing? Fucking around - literally - sex. Food. Sleep. And anything in between to make those things happen.

We are just animals with simple needs that are born into an intense and chaotic world convincing us its not that simple and you have to jump through a thousand hoops to meet these simple needs. Are we really any happier living a tech-riddled life and eating 'good' food every day, more so than some dude living in a grass skirt, sleeping on dirt and throwing spears at animals when the sun shines?

Don't get me wrong - there is plenty of magic to our world and lives. The rest of the animals in this kingdom get a share of that too though - I don't think we are special in that sense. Ever watch animals when they don't know they are being watched? All sorts of funny and weird shit happens, just like for us. They dance, they play.

Then again, I think the universe just 'exists'. And always has. Apparently thats too much to handle for some haha. Not everything needs or has a beginning, middle and end. Such a human fetish, that is.

Humans tend to arrogantly assume they matter when they don't. The human race as a whole does not matter, never mind any individual. People are even so arrogant they make up entities ("gods", "higher powers" etc) because they think they are SO amazing that there simply MUST be some all-knowing all-able being that intentionally designed and created them personally. Kinda hilarious, really. Like, bruh, get over yourself.

In the grand scheme of the universe, I love this perspective. In my life time, and your life time, and everyone elses life time, it's only a natural question to ask.

You're right - Fuck no, we're not special. Not in the sense that we have purpose. But where does all this beauty come from? Shady said,

I am an observer I like iconic "translations" such as a gloomy night, brutalism in loneliness ..

I love this, too. Life perhaps is meaningless, but any abstract connection we can attach to any sort of perceived "meaning", in my mind, sheds light on how the human mind is incredibly creative, thus making us "special".

Special as in, no one will have the same perspective, fully. Isn't that beautiful? We all have something unique to contribute.

I think the point of life is to experience this little slice of subjective experience from the unique viewpoint of you. Life isn't for escaping life, it's for living it
The purpose of life, just like the single celled organisms inside your body, is to contribute to the rebirth of the macro organism, the universe

^ that's why I love these as well. And it strangely can coincide with Vastness's seemingly contradictory perspective, because in order to be able to contribute to this floating soccer ball, we need those unique experiences that xorkoth talks about. So duality, as I believe @Snafu in the Void mentioned, rings in my ears.

Vastness's post I'm referring to, for reference:

But my answer to your question, bluntly, would be that there is no "point" to life that would be satisfactory to us, because the very ideas of purpose and meaning originate from within the illusion of the self as something separate from the entirety of existence..

So far I liked the posts about the meaninglessness, the beauty, the uniqueness and the togetherness.

And this makes me wonder why suffering would even be necessary, for all of that to be true.

Suffering and extreme hardship may help some people - the few who survive and come out stronger for it - find meaning and eventual happiness (usually at the cost of severe emotional/other traumas), but they hurt most people far more than they bring them any 'meaning'. Suffering is not required, and many people in "easy" countries like the Scandinavian countries seem to be quite happy with their lives.

^ I agree here, because it takes a solid, healthy mind to even be able to think about this shit we're talking about.

Also, as jasperkent says, life strives to exist. I can see how suffering can make one stronger, or more experienced and using process of elimination to find "happyness", but suffering.. just don't feel like it's a requirement.

But everywhere you look (at least on Earth) you see that life strives to exist-- even under the most improbable conditions.

If it turns out that Life is just a big joke, so be it. Let's do our best to make it a really good joke.

Lastly ^ , this IS a fucking joke.

If you can't make humor out of it, good fucking luck enjoying the short time you have.

In the grand scheme of the universe, I love this perspective. In my life time, and your life time, and everyone elses life time, it's only a natural question to ask.

You're right - Fuck no, we're not special. Not in the sense that we have purpose. But where does all this beauty come from? Shady said,

I love this, too. Life perhaps is meaningless, but any abstract connection we can attach to any sort of perceived "meaning", in my mind, sheds light on how the human mind is incredibly creative, thus making us "special".

Special as in, no one will have the same perspective, fully. Isn't that beautiful? We all have something unique to contribute.

^ that's why I love these as well. And it strangely can coincide with Vastness's seemingly contradictory perspective, because in order to be able to contribute to this floating soccer ball, we need those unique experiences that xorkoth talks about. So duality, as I believe @Snafu in the Void mentioned, rings in my ears.

Vastness's post I'm referring to, for reference:

So far I liked the posts about the meaninglessness, the beauty, the uniqueness and the togetherness.

And this makes me wonder why suffering would even be necessary, for all of that to be true.

^ I agree here, because it takes a solid, healthy mind to even be able to think about this shit we're talking about.

Also, as jasperkent says, life strives to exist. I can see how suffering can make one stronger, or more experienced and using process of elimination to find "happyness", but suffering.. just don't feel like it's a requirement.

Lastly ^ , this IS a fucking joke.

If you can't make humor out of it, good fucking luck enjoying the short time you have.

As for where all this beauty comes from - the golden ratio. It appears in everything in nature and our brains, by design, enjoy it and see it as beautiful. So it's more of a perspective/recognition thing. This is why, for example, people who have had a lot of plastic surgery look weird and bad to us. Their features no longer match this golden ratio and our brains see it as unnatural and warn us that something's not right by making us uncomfortable.

imo, purpose implies a conscience, and each one of us is different... some want gains (physical or status/ money/ clout- wise), others want to carve out their chunk of history with art; some want to raise a family to the best of their ability, and some want to help others reach their highest state and improve the world at large (in terms of reducing suffering and promoting prosperity)...

i think i'm a little of all of that, cepp'n the first one (i don't think i'd be able to mentally handle power over others, and i don't want fame... nor do i bodybuild, just tryna maintain my health)

imo, purpose implies a conscience
Toilet paper has the purpose of cleaning my arse after taking a shit. It's not conscious and this is not open for discussion.

I don't see how purpose implies anything, and i'd bet most dictionaries would disagree as well

The meaning begins with you. Everything else can flow from there. Sounds esoteric and cryptic, right? It is actually very simple, but the world has a way of tricking you into thinking otherwise...

In simple terms the meaning to me is to follow the heart, not the mind. Logically the mind will never find an adequate explanation of why random scenarios happen. But the heart knows what to do. I really do logically think this is a school house that opens our hearts through destruction. Then with bigger hearts we can actually cooperate and accomplish things. Nature knew we needed cooperation to do anything. Society would not work if we did not cooperate. Cooperation springs from the heart. Then we reach the stars. Ready to open the heart to the possibility of other beings for even more cooperation.

But for now we are low life humans stuck on this mud ball pissing on ourselves. Not very mature at all although we have made some great advances as humans. The fact that we can take a snapshot of time and space (photos and music) is a great human advancement. But we have a long way to go.

In other words, don't look for logical reasons for why we are here. Just follow your heart in each scenario and put one foot in front of the other. I have been reminding myself of that these last few weeks and have had that Christmas song in my head. The path is laid. I don't have to solve it, I just have to walk it.

The meaning begins with you. Everything else can flow from there. Sounds esoteric and cryptic, right? It is actually very simple, but the world has a way of tricking you into thinking otherwise...
Mhm too esoteric and cryptic. How do you know? That sounds like a nice interpretation of your subjective view.

How can meaning even begin with you when there's an ancestry coming before you, parents having planned your existence often long before you were ever a thing. People planned for your life and you step into what grounds they could make fit for you.

Myself im more nihilistic here. Do things and beings even need a purpose? Does it matter? I think it's highly anthropomorphised to look for meaning and purpose in the first place. It is because it is and I am because I am, does it need more?

Toilet paper has the purpose of cleaning my arse after taking a shit. It's not conscious and this is not open for discussion.

I don't see how purpose implies anything, and i'd bet most dictionaries would disagree as well
toilet paper didn’t invent itself.

someone sentient invented it, for the purpose of wiping shitty ass.

toilet paper didn’t invent itself.

someone sentient invented it, for the purpose of wiping shitty ass.
which does not make the toilet paper conscious.
just trying to understand your thought-process, to arrive at "conscience"(consciousness, btw, conscience is like when you do something bad and feel bad about it, but w/e) from purpose.
Yes, someone giving purpose is conscious, if that is what you meant, but that's kind of ipso facto.
But the purpose they give/see is entirely subjective, or in relation to their life, life on earth, w/e
if that was your meaning, you are correct, ofc

let's take something nobody invented: clouds.
Clouds have a huge purpose on this planet, nobody invented them, nobody said "do this", they just do it, and life on earth depends on water steam collecting and raining down again. So there is most definitely purpose, and most definitely no intent, no invention, no consciousness, no nothing. Maybe that's a better example.

purpose needs a relation, that much is true. And consciousness can see that relation. The arse needs cleaning after taking a shit.
Before toilet paper, people used all different tools: sand, shells, twigs, leaves, but there was a need, in short: the need to clean yourself after exerting fecal matter.
However, a machine can also tell you the purpose of something in relation to X, meaning, there is such a thing as a universal purpose. Clouds most definitely have a universal purpose on this planet, in relation to life.
Without water, this planet would have no life, or entirely different lifeforms. This purpose is universally clear, without even including consciousness. While yes, you need consciousness to grasp this idea, it's not consciousness that created clouds, or water, or carbon, or the moon, most of these things come from one supernova, and the moon was lava ball earth colliding with another lava ball, however all these things serve a purpose relating to our survival.

Last edited:
Mhm too esoteric and cryptic. How do you know? That sounds like a nice interpretation of your subjective view.

How can meaning even begin with you when there's an ancestry coming before you, parents having planned your existence often long before you were ever a thing. People planned for your life and you step into what grounds they could make fit for you.

Myself im more nihilistic here. Do things and beings even need a purpose? Does it matter? I think it's highly anthropomorphised to look for meaning and purpose in the first place. It is because it is and I am because I am, does it need more?
Everything is an interpretation now, isn't it? Everything is subjective, isn't it, outside the scope of "objective truth", which most would argue doesn't exist. Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human-like qualities onto non-human subjects, such as inanimate objects, plants, animals, etc., and doesn't apply per se, within the context of my self-referential comment. So in the absence of "objective truth", what are you left with? You are left with an interpretation of the self, which is what all human beings are confronted with ultimately. So you interpret, and I interpret. Welcome to humanity.